• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Soprano Growout Growth and Update Thread

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phots are not the best buy I am trying, my camera will not let me zoom in very close. The princess toadstools and psycho trippins have not opened for a couple days and the mayan suns have been touch and go since the beginning. Everything else has at least one baby now, except the soul snatchers are growing crazy slow.

pic02.jpg

pic04.jpg

pic03.jpg

pic01.jpg

pic06.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part everything is the same, except a couple frags just melted out of the blue...the princess toadstools, the Mayan suns which never looked good, and the blue rhinos are closed and turning sort of white...i have no idea why it happened, everything looked good the night before and the next morning melted. I have some nice replacement polyps for the few that died though, I will post a better pic update a little later. Other than that bad update, no additional polyps but all of the babies are growing. The soprano babies have there color and look cool, oh and the gow has a new nub. I'll hey pics up in a couple days, school is just buckling down here as the semester is ending and I haven't had time to give a solid update.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, cept for the bad news ;) So funny that the Sopranos who have the rep are going strong. Which is fantastic!

Anyways, just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to our grow out and that I am very thankful for BCT taking such great care of the polps.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a presentation and a final today, won't be able to give a good update until tomorrow...a short update is a few frags have new polyps and we lost a couple frags. I don't know what happened but a few frags died and my anemones started moving around and shrivling up. The anemones have stopped moving and look better and the frags look good. During the strange couple days my sps all did great and nothing was testing out of the ordinary. I believe I mentioned which frags we lost in a previous post...the only other one is the **** beaches. I also inspect for pests nightly and seen nothing so I don't know what the cause was.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Group,

I am sorry I can't get an update today, I have been at the VA all day trying to get some paperwork straightened out...something went wrong with a form I had submitted. My deceased fathers parents are coming down from Minnesota to see my son for the first time this weekend so I don't know if I will be able to get any pics uploaded. Good news is im done with the semester and can give you more frequent updates once the fam clears out. I dipped a couple frags in furan2 today because they haven't opened, the only thing I can come up with is a bacterial infection. Whatever it is or was has only affected frags in the growout and nothing in the rest of my tank (except my nems)...strange. The soprano has one huge polyp and 3 medium sized ones now and the gow has two more minis sprouting. The arm II has some new ones sprouting and the chuckies brides pink rhinos or whatever have started to take off. The serene nova still only have two polyps that I can see...everything else has at least four or more from what I can tell. I will be subbing in a few from my collection to replace some of the lost frags...I don't think you will be disappointed either ;)

Last edited:

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for taking the time for a quick one with the family coming in. I hope that first time meeting goes well.

Sorry their giving you some trouble and thanks for taking the time to work on fixing it. Glad it doesn't seem like something is off in the system. I know being the grower isn't easy.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Group,

I cant find my camera but I have a few minutes finally to give a decent update. I recently had some sort of tank woes that only affected the growout rack and my anemones and there was some die off. I don't know what caused it, my mag, alk, ph, calcium, temp, salinity, nitrates etc all measured spot on what I aim for so I have no idea what caused it. The only thing that was affected in my whole tank was the growout rack and my two bubble tip anemones got smaller but are fine other than half there normal size??? We lost a few frags because of this and here is the list; blue rhinos, princess toadstools, **** beaches, ring of toxins and the mayan suns never looked good. Also the time machines have remained closed for about a week, and the psycho trippin have been closed almost since introduction (but I have a mini colony of something very similar coming but a different name and maybe a little different color) the slimeria frag has been acting weird and all of the polyps are really small. I am going dip them again today. Other than that the other frags are doing really good and have grown a lot of new polyps. I do have some stuff I am going to throw in from my private collection to replace some of the lost frags of some really nice stuff, an my personal opinion on what we lost I am most upset about the princess toadstool and blue rhinos, they were the nicest out of the lost bunch. I am sorry about the losses guys, hopefully everything else grows out nice. I will try to get some pics up soon...any concerns post here or pm me.

121711.jpg

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, something a little alarming. This morning the soprano polyps are kind of strange looking. They are smaller than usual and are very very bright colored...I hope they are doing ok, but wanted to give you guys a heads up. I'll keep you posted...can't snap a pic til the halides turn on.

On a side note, the bacterial infection running through the Growout rack appears to be under control. The last to get it was the darth mauls, still have two polyps left of them. The time machines the serene nova 2 were the last two with it, they didn't make it but I was able to eliminate the infection from what I can tell, and the mauls are on a bounce back.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real change for today, it is hard for me to tell if they are not opening all the way or if they are shrinking. I know that the color looks crazy bright and last time I seen a polyp act like this a pink elephant I had got pinched, and it didn't end well. Nothing can pinch these though so I don't know. I'm keeping a close eye on them...I just seen your request for a better table, I will upload a new one tomorrow.

Avast
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of a difference with the soprano frag today. I can't tell what is going on, the two micro nubs are still there which is a good sign but all of the polyps were pretty much closed all day today. Everything else looks really good and is starting to really take off. Below is the chart you requested to be reposted.

growout_1211.jpg

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Hope it bounces back. Let me know if you do. I have some wow palys doing the same thing you are describing and I can't figure it out. The other polps are doing great and growing. They have been like that for at least 2 weeks though.

Corals.com
OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the iodine dip and it looks worse...the large main polyp is actually ripped

I don't think it looked like that before the dip. I'm gonna cross my fingers that it and at least the other polyps bounce back. If they don't we have a few options; I can try to get in touch with our original seller for a replacement, I can procure a soprano similar somewhere else, go for an authentic soprano with lineage, or call it a loss. Let me know what you guys want...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325885799.716908.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325885799.716908.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 291

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've heard it can take a little bit for them to open back up after a dip. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Once we figure out if it makes it I guess figure from there. If I'm not mistaken the one from this seller was supposed to be a little more stable than the original? Am I remembering that correctly?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back