Sick Wrasse

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 normal healthy weeks my new McCoskers Wrasse now lays on his side or back, occasionally swims a little but can’t keep upright. He was eating and active, but now appears on his way out. Any ideas on what might have happened or if it can be saved?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got him isolated
Video dark and fizzy but from what I can see, this is a neurological issue associated with wrasses known as UNWD. Many of these type of wrasses courtesy Of Jay encounter UNWD which shows neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects. Other could be depending where fish is from, cyanide capture which is delayed but the fish ends up in this state becoming moribund which is similar to state of comatose.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please provide a clean white light video via youtube?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video dark and fizzy but from what I can see, this is a neurological issue associated with wrasses known as UNWD. Many of these type of wrasses courtesy Of Jay encounter UNWD which shows neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects. Other could be depending where fish is from, cyanide capture which is delayed but the fish ends up in this state becoming moribund which is similar to state of comatose.
Is the UNWD able to spread via water or contact? Curious.

OP, did you QT the specimen before adding to the display?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is the UNWD able to spread via water or contact? Curious.

OP, did you QT the specimen before adding to the display?
Confined to fish rather than spread to others. Despite quarantine, the fish will develop this issue regardless

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 normal healthy weeks my new McCoskers Wrasse now lays on his side or back, occasionally swims a little but can’t keep upright. He was eating and active, but now appears on his way out. Any ideas on what might have happened or if it can be saved?
Take a look at this post:

If you post a video of it eating, I might be able to confirm this diagnosis for you.

OP
OP
reefteaser

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m traveling, my wife made the video and is monitoring. I’ll to post a better view when I get home, but by then he may be a goner.
Very sad, he’s a great fish.

OP
OP
reefteaser

reefteaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got home late last night. This morning we were both surprised he had, somehow, escaped form isolation and cannot be found. No idea at all how he got out, the top of the box is 1/4 higher than the water, and he didn't seem to have it in him to jump.
My CUC likely took care of things. We only had him for a few weeks and enjoyed him very much. He's one of the few that got a name, makes it tougher.
RIP

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back