Should I be using my skimmer?

MadCaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank (55 gallon mixed reef) running for about 1.5 years. I have a small refugium with Chaeto and to date I haven’t used a skimmer. I held off because I had a hard time getting my nutrients up. Now that things are mostly stable I’m wondering if there are other reasons that I should put the skimmer in for. I don’t have many issues keeping nutrients at a manageable level but wondering if I’m missing some other benefits of using that type gear. I always wondered if I should actually be feeding the fish and corals more while instead, using a skimmer to keep the waste from building up. Will a skimmer help remove any excess trace elements or other waste that might hurt coral growth etc.?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run a skimmer then the tank has issues with algae or cyano bacteria. Otherwise, IMHO, it has little effect.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it wasn't pulling much out I'd still use mine with a co2 scrubber for the ph boost
The PH boost isn't really a boost with the co2 scrubber. The scrubber just helps limit the introduction of co2 into the water by the skimmer. If you're not using a skimmer there is no need for the scrubber. :)

The refugium/chaeto ran opposite the tank's lighting schedule will keep PH more stable during the night time though.

Edit note: I could be off about the actual boosting affect of the scrubber, considering it can raise PH to much when in use. :)

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PH boost isn't really a boost with the co2 scrubber. The scrubber just helps limit the introduction of co2 into the water by the skimmer. If you're not using a skimmer there is no need for the scrubber. :)

The refugium/chaeto ran opposite the tank's lighting schedule will keep PH more stable during the night time though.
He asked should he use his skimmer therefore he has one, my point is using one in conjunction with a co2 scrubber will undoubtedly increase your ph with or without a fuge or turf scrubber

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He asked should he use his skimmer therefore he has one, my point is using one in conjunction with a co2 scrubber will undoubtedly increase your ph with or without a fuge or turf scrubber
With my CO2 scrubber

My pH can increase to over 8.3

Most people would say that an increase is the same as a boost. That they mean the same thing

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But not everyone needs a pH boost. Or maybe we do but just don't know it becuase corals are looking great so we don't test and have no controller to monitor :thinking-face:

Three tanks running here with no skimmers. I had to skim very wet to pull anything. There may be benifits but I didn't notice any negatives when I stopped running them so I left them out and have 3 less items to maintain.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But not everyone needs a pH boost. Or maybe we do but just don't know it becuase corals are looking great so we don't test and have no controller to monitor :thinking-face:

Three tanks running here with no skimmers. I had to skim very wet to pull anything. There may be benifits but I didn't notice any negatives when I stopped running them so I left them out and have 3 less items to maintain.
Good job I was talking about my tank then

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my CO2 scrubber

My pH can increase to over 8.3

Most people would say that an increase is the same as a boost. That they mean the same thing
Same as mine, highest I've seen is 8.31, but I'm not dosing anything at the moment, if I were to eventually use kalk it would of course be higher, I'm happy with 8.3 in the day and 8.18 at night

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite sure there are people who don't want an increase in coral growth
This actually can be true. Normally when I have to frag stuff I end up throwing peices in the trash because I don't have any reefing buddies to give it to.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timely thread - it's interesting my old BM C9 was tripping the GFCI breakers! I've since turned it off and my anemone & softies opened up more this week. Perhaps a pure coincidence or that the skimmer was stripping too much "nutrients"? My NO3 is still over 75 and PO4 is 0.25. I'm planning to go skimmer-less and no fuge -- just lots of rock! The tank is exactly 1 year old and no nuisance algae -- everything is super stable.

OnePuffMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To pile on with a little twist: I haven't used my skimmer in months. My phosphate is a little high (0.5) and my nitrates are fine (12). I only have a half dozen corals, but they're happy and growing. I want to swap my skimmer for a kalk stirrer (I don't have a ton of space available) to help with my alk, pH, and Calcium. Any reasons not to do so? I have a 20 gal refugium that can always have more macro. My larger concern is currently low pH and alk more than nitrates/phosphates.

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer helps my tank with pH, the only reason I run it. I have the collection cup pouring back into the sump (AIO)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back