Should I be concerned over this silicone seam?

BRS
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leak testing the new tank and I’ve noticed these air bubbles in the silicone seam, these are near the bottom and there’s one two on the other side that’s about 2” long each but quite thin and very hard to photograph to get the idea of what they look likeView attachment 2980235
EDIT - while I was posted this (under the unanswered threads section - 20 answers appeared) - so sorry some of this was repetitive. It sounds like you made the decision you wanted to make.

Did you buy it used or new? If new - I would contact the company. those bubbles do not 'always' lead to seam failures. However - my guess - if you're like me - they are always going to make you nervous because just looking at a picture can't tell the whole story. I would guess that though not 'perfect', many people would say they are not likely to be an issue. I personally would not like them unless I had reported it to the manufacturer - and received insurance that they were 'ok'.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - while I was posted this (under the unanswered threads section - 20 answers appeared) - so sorry some of this was repetitive. It sounds like you made the decision you wanted to make.

Did you buy it used or new? If new - I would contact the company. those bubbles do not 'always' lead to seam failures. However - my guess - if you're like me - they are always going to make you nervous because just looking at a picture can't tell the whole story. I would guess that though not 'perfect', many people would say they are not likely to be an issue. I personally would not like them unless I had reported it to the manufacturer - and received insurance that they were 'ok'.
Bought new and unless they cover the cost of lost livestock, my flooring on the ground floor of my house and any other damage it does if it lets go then I’ll just get a refund I think, in the position of the tank being empty I cannot see now knowing what I’ve read about these bubbles seams that anybody in their right mind would continue with this potential ticking bomb

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought new and unless they cover the cost of lost livestock, my flooring on the ground floor of my house and any other damage it does if it lets go then I’ll just get a refund I think, in the position of the tank being empty I cannot see now knowing what I’ve read about these bubbles seams that anybody in their right mind would continue with this potential ticking bomb
Completely agree!! Even if its a 0.5% chance - I had a similar situation and after a year waking up at 3AM - neurotically wondering what I would do if the tank broke - I bought a new one!!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back