+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdm_aquatics!
your updates on how Red Sea responds will be the marker of what any customer can expect in the matter, we need to know how swiftly they respond and how much $ on your part (shipping costs if any) is required

they have a chance right now to do good customer service vs bad

your issue is so recent, new, this is the real test for them, a pre break fix

I already know what my magic 8 ball is telling me.

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shown 3 posts in another thread where the tank owners said red sea was willing to acknowledge the issue, work with them for an exchange, but in all cases the buyer paid shipping, and I didn't see any case where it wasn't hundreds of dollars

Since this is an unfolding, live time thread on a stark repeat matter this completely determines what any buyer should think about red sea

I want the topic written about by the major view blogs

They should: acknowledge the real risk based on documented breaks

Quickly replace the model

Make shipping not hundreds of dollars, start with free since it's stated to be in the warranty period and slowly work up to maximum reasonable extra amount someone should pay twice to get a working red sea tank

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always interesting as a Red Sea owner to see how these unfortunate events unfold. All I would advise is to try everything possible through the normal channels before anything else.
Your particular case looks like the seam has split under the fillet or maybe the plastic seal armour (if you have it) rather than the glass joint however, it's almost inevitable that it will eventually spread...

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdm_aquatics!
your updates on how Red Sea responds will be the marker of what any customer can expect in the matter, we need to know how swiftly they respond and how much $ on your part (shipping costs if any) is required

they have a chance right now to do good customer service vs bad

your issue is so recent, new, this is the real test for them, a pre break fix
Yea I will update any response I get I’m hoping they do good on the company and fix this bc it was very expensive just to get people to move the thing to place!

Nutramar Foods

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will update any response I get I’m hoping they do good on the company and fix this bc it was very expensive just to get people to move the thing to place!

And just saying, just for the inconvenience they should be on the hook for some of that cost.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one (soon) bites the dust. I'd start shopping if out of warranty and NOT buy a replacement redsea. Utter overpriced metric garbage they are.
This is totally unacceptable for any large brands like Red Sea if they send another I’m selling it and getting somthing else no way I’m keeping this tank or anyone they send if they even will

Top Shelf Aquatics

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally unacceptable for any large brands like Red Sea if they send another I’m selling it and getting somthing else no way I’m keeping this tank or anyone they send if they even will

That was me when mine recently gave way. I even gave the sump to a local guy, no money changed hands. People here kept saying to contact Red Sea. For what? For me to give them hours of my time fighting a fight over what, a new tank that I will not trust? No thanks. Not to mention I would at bare minimum have to pay shipping, on what a tank I will never trust? I have beautiful glass shelves in the garage though, so there is that.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to drain the tank and reseal it myself with like aquarium safe silicone or somthing or will it end up doing the same thing

To what end though? Would you trust it? You know that feeling when you put a full glass of water at the edge of the counter and walk away? Yeah I would have that feeling every day, month, week, year. No thanks.

I will say this as an observation. Once I had our tank drained and in the yard, all inhabitants were in the new tank. I started knifing through the old tank silicone to break it down, it was too heavy for me to lift unless it was one pane of glass at a time. It took significant force to cut through that silicone, it was really strong. That tells me there are weak spots in these tanks because of the constant stress and weak stands. My replacement tank and stand was a planet aquarium, stand is made of spruce I think. The difference in the stand was very noticeable. Many areas were over twice as thick if not triple the thickness and not MDF, but real wood.

Nutramar Foods

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to drain the tank and reseal it myself with like aquarium safe silicone or somthing or will it end up doing the same thing
Yes. I think I’ve seen @vetteguy53081 giving solid advice on how to do this properly. I think he has sealed a lot of tanks.

I successfully resealed one. It’s a meticulous process but I believe anyone can learn.

I would go this route…

if not for massive expense you already incurred. For a big tag top seller like RS to have consistent seam failures, is simply unacceptable. I’ve seen SO many different posts all reporting the same failure and a lot of them end in a less than satisfactory result. At what point do they do a recall? When their lawyers are downing in lawsuits?

If you do decide to reseal it, you will realize how insanely overpriced aquariums like this are and how they make a killing on marking up a half days labor and subpar materials, like aquarium sealant.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes you can and if you go slowly- can repair successfully. Ive done many of these.
Tape the outside with painters tape or frog tape.
Take a sharp razor and cut way the silicone on both sides of glass. Then take the razor and scrape away the remaining silicone and using a wet cloth remove all the pieces of silicone, even using a shop vac. The with a different clean cloth, clean area well with rubbing alohol.
Using AQUARIUM SEALANT (either aqueon or Marineland brand)- apply a generous bead into corner. Wet your finger and smooth it out uniformly starting from bottom and and run wet finger to the top.
Once done, allow to dry for at least 24 (i like 36 hours) hours then cold water test for a full 24 hours. If no leak- get ready to restart tank.

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 And use fishing line to break the seal, much safer than trying to wedge metal between the panels. Use a sawing motion and the line will cut through the sealant.

BUT again, for what you spent, you shouldn’t even be THINKING about doing this.

OP
OP
J

jdm_aquatics!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can and if you go slowly- can repair successfully. Ive done many of these.
Tape the outside with painters tape or frog tape.
Take a sharp razor and cut way the silicone on both sides of glass. Then take the razor and scrape away the remaining silicone and using a wet cloth remove all the pieces of silicone, even using a shop vac. The with a different clean cloth, clean area well with rubbing alohol.
Using AQUARIUM SEALANT (either aqueon or Marineland brand)- apply a generous bead into corner. Wet your finger and smooth it out uniformly starting from bottom and and run wet finger to the top.
Once done, allow to dry for at least 24 (i like 36 hours) hours then cold water test for a full 24 hours. If no leak- get ready to restart tank.
Thank you depending on the response I get from Red Sea this will most likely be the option for me

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Im going to be sick. Just found this. I don't know that I have it in me to tare it down and start over. Anyone know how much time I might have?
IMG_9318.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly di
Well Im going to be sick. Just found this. I don't know that I have it in me to tare it down and start over. Anyone know how much time I might have?
View attachment 3131769

Its separating right at the top. Clearly there is a problem with Red Sea tanks as this is 5th or 6th Red Sea in just a few days.

How old was the tank? Was it bought brand new?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back