Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0% of corals will die, we can literally transfer all that life over without loss, we do this routinely in rip clean threads, it’s one days work

buy a brand tank you trust, let’s work the #1 on demand skip cycle transfer job we will see in 2023 with your tank, be motivated we will win

there are relocation jobs like yours already completed here

that thread is a literal road map for your job, it’s written solely for this use you need

no testing will be used, no bottle bac, just a certain order of ops you apply to move it all over and you can use about 80% of your current water pumped into the new tank, 20-30% will need to be all new water.

XyPP

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its at the top. Tank is 2.5 years old.. bought brand new. fully stocked and im sick to my stomach not sure what to do. can't deal with setting up a trough in my garage while I wait for a new tank. Going to sell it all for a penny on the dollar. 30 fish and thousands and thousands in acros.

View attachment 3131866
I'm sorry man. Beautiful tank.

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO any bracing, clamping, strapping, or reinforcement of the glass isn’t going to help much at this point. The problem is in the stand, just like all the other RS failures. Can you inspect the front top middle of the stand and see if it sags? If you can see a gap at all, thats the problem. Maybe jack up the middle and put in another lumbar support?
The stand is solid. I checked and re-checked and triple checked before ever adding water and then checked again while filling. Tank was level. No gaps at all between tank and stand. There are extra supports built into the stand. The floor was solid. Extra care always used when cleaning the glass. My guess is that it’s the tank design and seam material (in my case). I see my 3/4” front glass bow under the pressure. Over time I think the silicone just starts to give. A built-in cross member in the top of the tank would have saved it in my opinion. But I’m no expert and this is my first failure.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 I appreciate the encouragement. I know enough to know what’s involved in a move and transfer. I know the work it would take and know it could be done. I posted on my local reefing FB pages when i decided to sell off everything and I had 50 people offer to help. I just don’t have it in me. The tare down starts this afternoon.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a few clamps instead? They make some longer ones for woodworking that would probably hold the side together without stressing the other panes.

Yeah I have a few of those really long clamps, they come in handy for all kinds of things that I would not have thought. I like that idea better than the strap.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry man. Beautiful tank.
This. Its honestly depressing to see.

I sincerely dont get why people keep buying RS tanks, youd figure they would be out of it by now with as many failures that make it on the forums, (alone). I feel for folks with these overpriced tanks, the failure rate has to kill an otherwise depressed secondary market for glass aquariums as much as I see them for sale as of late.

I hate to be that guy to ask but the LFS's must be getting a kickback from RS to feature these plug and play abominations in their stores @ this point. All my local LFS's (bigger ones anyway), have at least one 100+ gallon display model packed with unforgiving coral that looks to be thriving. I guess for the uneducated/noob reefer it works to get sales.

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 I appreciate the encouragement. I know enough to know what’s involved in a move and transfer. I know the work it would take and know it could be done. I posted on my local reefing FB pages when i decided to sell off everything and I had 50 people offer to help. I just don’t have it in me. The tare down starts this afternoon.
I am so sorry

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Its honestly depressing to see.

I sincerely dont get why people keep buying RS tanks, youd figure they would be out of it by now with as many failures that make it on the forums, (alone). I feel for folks with these overpriced tanks, the failure rate has to kill an otherwise depressed secondary market for glass aquariums as much as I see them for sale as of late.

I hate to be that guy to ask but the LFS's must be getting a kickback from RS to feature these plug and play abominations in their stores @ this point. All my local LFS's (bigger ones anyway), have at least one 100+ gallon display model packed with unforgiving coral that looks to be thriving. I guess for the uneducated/noob reefer it works to get sales.

This hobby has changed so much. So much is about the sleek instagram worthy look, the quick success, the perfect scape. RS really caters to the new hobbyist and their dreams of having a show piece.

Unfortunately there are folks like OP who have that old school mentality of really learning and earning it, but are caught in the pitfalls of poor QC that come with the new luxury side of the hobby, where looks > function.

I was at a reef expo this past weekend and every single person there seemed to be pushing their instagram or YouTube on me. So many RS tanks, the marketing is insane on these things.

Top Shelf Aquatics

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all leaks are the same. This one is on the upper right side seam, not the typical middle of the front panel. I think ratchet straps can help on side panel failures.
Not all leaks, but all the RS leaks start at the stand. In one of the early failure threads RS even admitted to this being the source of the problem and now claim it’s the sealant on every failure. I don’t know why. But something is pushing and pulling on the panels to create the air bubbles, they aren’t just forming out of nowhere. I’m still convinced it’s the foundation that fails first from seeing countless posts of RS failures and building several aquariums myself. Customers can’t see the stand failure unless they check with a 6 foot level or precision measuring tools, the seam however they can visually see and incorrectly assume thats the problem. Seams pulling and pushing are just a side effect of the underlying issue.

here’s more sources and first hand accounts all pointing to the stand.
Red Sea confirms it themselves, since you won’t take my word for it. What do you think is applying force to the seams that they want to come apart in the first place?

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all leaks, but all the RS leaks start at the stand. In one of the early failure threads RS even admitted to this being the source of the problem and now claim it’s the sealant on every failure. I don’t know why. But something is pushing and pulling on the panels to create the air bubbles, they aren’t just forming out of nowhere. I’m still convinced it’s the foundation that fails first from seeing countless posts of RS failures and building several aquariums myself. Customers can’t see the stand failure unless they check with a 6 foot level or precision measuring tools, the seam however they can visually see and incorrectly assume thats the problem. Seams pulling and pushing are just a side effect of the underlying issue.

here’s more sources and first hand accounts all pointing to the stand.
Red Sea confirms it themselves, since you won’t take my word for it. What do you think is applying force to the seams that they want to come apart in the first place?

I'm aware of all this. Not sure I agree side seam failure is caused by the same stand issue as front panel failure.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of all this. Not sure I agree side seam failure is caused by the same stand issue as front panel failure.

Yeah with the upper sides also failing at a high rate, I am in the school of thought of just crappy sealant. I also think it is not that simple of just the sealant. I think we are trying to look at either one or the other but in reality it is kind of both. My stand was indeed sagging in the middle, which let the bottom glass sag just a little. With a combination of weak sealant, that allowed the front middle seal to slowly pull loose.

I also wonder how many of reefers lean some on the front glass when doing maintenance. I noticed myself occasionally resting my arm on my tank when pruning algae, it is a natural thing to do and I have to stop myself from doing it. This likely would not be as much of a problem with a euro braced tank or even the old rimmed tanks because you do often have a cross member on tanks past 3 foot, even if that cross member is plastic. On a rimless tank though you already have that much water pushing out, resting your arm on it should be avoided. It could also be a red herring and the entire problem is sealant.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah with the upper sides also failing at a high rate, I am in the school of thought of just crappy sealant.
This may be true, but wouldn’t it make sense for the sagging bottom middle to push the side panels upwards? And if they were being forced up, wouldn’t we see the top of the sides come apart first? The sealant might be poor as well but I think it’s some force more than just the water or we would be seeing even more failures at a faster rate

just thinking aloud. I’m not invested in Red Sea, I just feel really bad for the customers that have one fail on them and if we can find a solution that stops more failures, that would be cool!

Good luck with the tank swap, you’re reef was beautiful and I look forward to you restoring it! Keep on reefing!

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be true, but wouldn’t it make sense for the sagging bottom middle to push the side panels upwards? And if they were being forced up, wouldn’t we see the top of the sides come apart first? The sealant might be poor as well but I think it’s some force more than just the water or we would be seeing even more failures at a faster rate

just thinking aloud. I’m not invested in Red Sea, I just feel really bad for the customers that have one fail on them and if we can find a solution that stops more failures, that would be cool!

I edited my post, read what my thoughts on possible resting arms on tanks. It very well could just be reaching but I was thinking about this last night while doing tank maintenance.

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post, read what my thoughts on possible resting arms on tanks. It very well could just be reaching but I was thinking about this last night while doing tank maintenance.
That actually makes sense. Any added force is going to contribute towards seam splitting.
But I would hope a resting arm isn’t actually the culprit or that’s horrible sealant job.

OP took great care in leveling the stand, tank, and floor. It’s something with the stand/tank design or sealant.
I admire OP’s persistence in reefing and look forward to seeing his next tank running!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually makes sense. Any added force is going to contribute towards seam splitting.
But I would hope a resting arm isn’t actually the culprit or that’s horrible sealant job.

OP took great care in leveling the stand, tank, and floor. It’s something with the stand/tank design or sealant.
I admire OP’s persistence in reefing and look forward to seeing his next tank running!

It was just something that I thought about last night. I am really freaked out about seams now and hopefully one day I will no longer have that feeling, you know that feeling if you leave a glass of water on the side of a counter that is just hanging off the edge a bit? Yeah I have that feeling all the time now when I stare at my tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the sheer concentration of tank seam split posts originating since 1/23 but referencing 2.5 - 3 year old tanks remarks upon basic design shortcomings. The production lot originating around 2020 is in need of follow up, of open instruction from rs

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the sheer concentration of tank seam split posts originating since 1/23 but referencing 2.5 - 3 year old tanks remarks upon basic design shortcomings. The production lot originating around 2020 is in need of follow up, of open instruction from rs

I think the guy I bought my tank from had it around a year, I had it for two years.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Neptune
Back