+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly di

Its separating right at the top. Clearly there is a problem with Red Sea tanks as this is 5th or 6th Red Sea in just a few days.

How old was the tank? Was it bought brand new?
its at the top. Tank is 2.5 years old.. bought brand new. fully stocked and im sick to my stomach not sure what to do. can't deal with setting up a trough in my garage while I wait for a new tank. Going to sell it all for a penny on the dollar. 30 fish and thousands and thousands in acros.

IMG_8866.jpeg

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its at the top. Tank is 2.5 years old.. bought brand new. fully stocked and im sick to my stomach not sure what to do. can't deal with setting up a trough in my garage while I wait for a new tank. Going to sell it all for a penny on the dollar. 30 fish and thousands and thousands in acros.

View attachment 3131866
Any other issues with stand sagging?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to RS?
yup. Store I bought it from is fairly confident I could get a new tank under warranty but Im done. I don't have what it takes mentally at this point to set up a temporary system in my garage and watch a good percentage of my corals die.

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy for RS to say, we will replace your tank, thanks have a great day and feel like it fulfilled its duty completely ignoring the emotional impact and destruction of years of growth and progress that are irreplaceable.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy for RS to say, we will replace your tank, thanks have a great day and feel like it fulfilled its duty completely ignoring the emotional impact and destruction of years of growth and progress that are irreplaceable.
Agreed but unless we can look at the actual failure rate of tanks then it is hard to ask more of them than that.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my point through it all. Too bad I cannot send out another string of obscenities here, the police got me last time.

This guys tank is my point, the point I was trying to make. That is one of the most gorgeous tanks I have seen, you just do not give that guy some new glass and say "here now you do the work and have fun", oh and trust us when we say the new one will not bust in 3 years. Do you think @ID-Reefer wants another Red Sea tank? Doubt it.

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to see some advice here from all of the Red Sea evangelist, I do not think this tank was moved and wow that just messes up the structural integrity of the tank (rolling eyes). Is this guys tank just a one off?

bratfink

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a rachet strap around the tank will help too
I was going to suggest this.
If the bubble is growing you are in the early stages of failure. Get a strap around it before it gets to the late stage of failure (I.e. rapid delamination of the seam).

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest this.
If the bubble is growing you are in the early stages of failure. Get a strap around it before it gets to the late stage of failure (I.e. rapid delamination of the seam).

Be careful there, I tried the ratchet strap on mine (bottom failure) and it made it worse. On the side it could help, but go slow.

bratfink

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful there, I tried the ratchet strap on mine (bottom failure) and it made it worse. On the side it could help, but go slow.
Fair point. I should have used more detail.

The pressure points of the strap hardware will add local pressure that could precipitate failure. So thorough padding between the strap and the glass is needed.

also application of force from a strap will not be equal around the surfaces since there are open edges exposed in the way they build the tanks. Corner bracing (like you see in we’ll packed shipped items) will help distribute load around the corners.

lastly, don’t do it up too tight. You are helping support the force of the water against the glass. It doesn’t need to be as tight as strapping a race car down in a trailer.

Avast

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO any bracing, clamping, strapping, or reinforcement of the glass isn’t going to help much at this point. The problem is in the stand, just like all the other RS failures. Can you inspect the front top middle of the stand and see if it sags? If you can see a gap at all, thats the problem. Maybe jack up the middle and put in another lumber support?

AS

Boreas_SA

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long woodworking clamp worked on my Reefer 450 that started forming bubbles in that exact same spot on the right hand seam towards the top. It actually pushed out most of the bubble for a week or 2 until I figured out what to do with the livestock

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ID-Reefer

when you are ready to relocate all that life to any other system, a holding tote setup or a brand new tank, I want to apply for the remote job / writing the order of ops to transfer everything in that tank over without recycle crashes

it’s a big job, delicate, $ on the line, that’s one of the nicest densest reefs on the site too, it’s a big deal. There are methods available that can preserve all that life and start fresh in a new tank without any loss of your cycle at all, we have giant work threads on the matter already in place with 200 examples on file to copy

you won’t be starting over at all, that perfect reef can continue on in another setup with only 1 day of hard transfer work, once we plan for it and execute the skip cycle move

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back