Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a Black Friday sale prompted me to get a new coral beauty. While I normally don’t like to replace a fish immediately after its death, I just can’t imagine my tank without an angelfish. It might be my favorite reef fish! I just hope the new one is as well tamed as Flounder. Speaking of well tamed, I also picked up a six line wrasse—so you know, the complete opposite of well behaved. This should go well.. I can’t really think of much these days that Luxo won’t bully, so I need a fish that will give it back. Hopefully a six line won’t give back too much aggression, though. I also picked up a cristata torch, a favia, and a hammer coral, which went into the coral QT, and an rock flower nem, which went into the main tank.

View attachment 2914502View attachment 2914505View attachment 2914503View attachment 2914504
And the fish are back in the tank!! They’re doing great, and the clowns are even testing out the BTA! The goby and pistol shrimp are finally paired, and this time it seems like they’re paired for good. Other times they simply hung out and then separated, but this time, they seem to stick together all the time and act like a true goby and shrimp pair.
View attachment 2914507View attachment 2914508View attachment 2914509View attachment 2914510View attachment 2914511
I love your tiger pistol!! He’s a stunning specimen, although I can’t not laugh at the size difference between the Aurora and the Bellulus

AS
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tiger pistol!! He’s a stunning specimen, although I can’t not laugh at the size difference between the Aurora and the Bellulus
Shrimp definitely grew during the fallow - I don’t remember there being such a difference.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I thought "who's watching out for who, here?"

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have similar taste in coral. I absolutely love your tank. Hoping to get mine back to that form after my big crash a year ago. Massive softies are a sight to behold

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have similar taste in coral. I absolutely love your tank. Hoping to get mine back to that form after my big crash a year ago. Massive softies are a sight to behold
Funny - I’ve been trying to transition towards more sps - but still always wind up with more of what I have (mostly because it grows so dang fast). Hopefully once my phosphate issues are figured out (finally down before a water change) I can begin that process.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - I’ve been trying to transition towards more sps - but still always wind up with more of what I have (mostly because it grows so dang fast). Hopefully once my phosphate issues are figured out (finally down before a water change) I can begin that process.
I think we always want what we don't have lol. My previous tank was mostly sps and LPS and a giant toadstool. The toadstool survived and I'm like.... hhmmmmmm maybe softies ARE for me lol

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we always want what we don't have lol. My previous tank was mostly sps and LPS and a giant toadstool. The toadstool survived and I'm like.... hhmmmmmm maybe softies ARE for me lol
Softies are for everyone ;)
Trust me, once you find those nice leathers you’ll want to begin a collection. I know I did and now I have 6 in my 4’ tank. Obviously I still want more, a pure yellow leather is on my list along with a longer polyped Sarcophyton species.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, once you find those nice leathers you’ll want to begin a collection. I know I did and now I have 6 in my 4’ tank. Obviously I still want more, a pure yellow leather is on my list along with a longer polyped Sarcophyton species.
I miss my long polyp…
Mine got nice and huge, but eventually my captain jerk palys overran it - needless to say I no longer have any of it. It was a yellow one too.
Those palys could outcompete Xenia.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think they were boring. Then I started filling the tank with slow growing neon lps and thought"you know what I need? Something leather."

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think they were boring. Then I started filling the tank with slow growing neon lps and thought"you know what I need? Something leather."
Their movement and uniqueness of shape while still looking natural and reeflike is unparalleled imo

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of my 5 year old watchman goby with his tiger pistol shrimp. He's the one making the pistol look little in comparison to swapped for you.

Attachments

• 20221213_181119.jpg
    20221213_181119.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 27

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their movement and uniqueness of shape while still looking natural and reeflike is unparalleled imo
I'm not sure I have the words for why I like them, but you might be close to my thoughts.
Edit: great name by the way.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just when everything is going well something has to give…
Lost the 6-line in qt - appears to have been ammonia poisoning (redness around gills + frayed fins). All I’ve got is an API for ammonia that is reading about 0.3. He was perfectly fine and eating well last I checked, so something must have happened very recently.
Angel is doing very well, so hopefully I can correct the issue with minimal casualties.
I guess it might be a blessing in disguise given the 6-line reputation.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well just when everything is going well something has to give…
Lost the 6-line in qt - appears to have been ammonia poisoning (redness around gills + frayed fins). All I’ve got is an API for ammonia that is reading about 0.3. He was perfectly fine and eating well last I checked, so something must have happened very recently.
Angel is doing very well, so hopefully I can correct the issue with minimal casualties.
I guess it might be a blessing in disguise given the 6-line reputation.
I was all primed to say your last line... then you got it.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the holidays have been an interesting time for my corals…
I managed to fix the phosphate problem that had been plaguing my tank. Of course, the continued water changes bottomed out nitrates, which is equally, if not more, devastating. First I lost one euphyllia to a bailout, which cascaded into BJD taking out one and a half more. So definitely not my week for corals…
That said, I’ve begun dosing nitrogen and saw an immediate turnaround for most survivors. Now I’m stuck debating whether I move the remaining corals back into the main display or leave them in quarantine (a tank that has become a complete nightmare, overrun by phytoplankton)

AquaCave Logo Banner

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the holidays have been an interesting time for my corals…
I managed to fix the phosphate problem that had been plaguing my tank. Of course, the continued water changes bottomed out nitrates, which is equally, if not more, devastating. First I lost one euphyllia to a bailout, which cascaded into BJD taking out one and a half more. So definitely not my week for corals…
That said, I’ve begun dosing nitrogen and saw an immediate turnaround for most survivors. Now I’m stuck debating whether I move the remaining corals back into the main display or leave them in quarantine (a tank that has become a complete nightmare, overrun by phytoplankton)
probably a dumb question to show my ignorance... but how does a tank become "overrun by phytoplanton" and would having your corals in there assist with its consumption?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a dumb question to show my ignorance... but how does a tank become "overrun by phytoplanton" and would having your corals in there assist with its consumption?
My guess is that the lighting conditions and introduction of phytoplankton (not sure how that happened) led to a bloom. Though there are some corals in the QT, it’s not nearly as much as in a fully functioning reef, so they probably have little effect on consumption.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Luxo attacks corals now, as demonstrated by the decimation of my anacropora, which was guilty of being a bit too close to the anemone. Ah, Luxo, will you ever not be a problem?

In other news, BJD seems to be continuing between some of the euphyllia. Hopefully I can get this under control, and hopefully the new year is a better one for the corals!
Have a happy and healthy new year, everyone!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The development of RTN on the anacropora forced me to frag off the healthy end and put the remaining portion in quarantine, along with many of the lps, some of which were threatened with BJD and others still reacting poorly to the main display. Luckily, it forced me to get the coral QT back into working order.
42A3F98D-C407-4B6B-A985-D500A8291291.jpeg

Here are some FTS updates on the main display:
E275CFBF-76D1-4902-8065-ACCA6BBA9C28.jpeg
C383AAE8-FC9B-409E-B3A7-16DC8CBDB06F.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m tossing around ideas for further stocking, dragonets have come to mind. I know a mandarin would be very hard to maintain in this size tank, but what are all of your thoughts on a ruby red? With my luck, I wouldn’t be able to train one on frozen, so assuming that, would I still have to resort to dosing pods or does a 40B offer enough space?

Last edited:
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back