*SBB Corals*- Games by codybot-End of Year/ New Year!!!! 650 WYSIWYG +100 Auctions!!! Prize, games, Giveaways- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PAR isn't the end all measurement when it comes to understanding light, corals, and photosynthesis. PAR is just one dimension.

If I was telling you how to bake a lasagna and said you need to set the oven to 350 degrees, then what's your next question? "How long?" is just as important as "how hot?". PAR meters measure the amount of visible photon radiation that hits a square inch every second (in the lasagna analogy, PAR is the temperature of the oven). When the blue and red spectrums hit the chlorophyll, its like engaging the throttle for photosynthesis. So long as there's fuel for the engines (nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon) then the engines run to the degree that they're throttled, and for the duration that they're throttled. You can achieve the same amount of photon radiation with an intense, short period or a weaker, longer period. What's interesting is that I recall Ecotech doing tests running those different photo-periods and found coloration and growth pattern variations based off of the two different photo-period schedules. I'd have to find the article/video that explores it though. I remember them saying the shorter, more intense photo-period produced less algae growth in the tank, which was interesting.
I think Shane proves this to the point. SBB sells "colored down" acros that have been in the back corner with less par, but they still thrive and are healthy corals.

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't wifi. It's just a cheap little pump I threw in there to get some more water movement.
I ensure all polyps have movement, not 100% of the time but most of the time. I'm getting a few easy Acros soon and hope they do as well as these others.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So quick question: is there a best time to dose phosphates? Is there a bad time to dose phosphates? First thing in the morning rather than at lights out is better I would assume?
Right as lights turn on, if you're only going to dose once a day, same as you should do for alkalinity if you're doing two part. I have been running a Trident for years to monitor my system with a calcium reactor, which produces a constant, even supply of elements. Shortly after the lights turn on, the alkalinity starts to dip. It then slowly drops until lights off, when it's slowly replenished overnight. The lights turning on engages the chlorophyll to start photosynthesis, which is when all the elements start getting consumed, with phosphates being a major part of that process.

InvaderJim

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ensure all polyps have movement, not 100% of the time but most of the time. I'm getting a few easy Acros soon and hope they do as well as these others.
I may still add a gyre soon but I will try and angle the jebao better and see what I can do with it. Likely turn the vortechs up as well.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Less white helps with algae also
Yes and no, from what I understand. Chlorophyll is chlorophyll is chlorophyll. The chlorophyll in corals is basically the same as the chlorophyll in the grass of your yard, which exclusively uses the blue and red spectrums for photosynthesis. However, the blue spectrum is used much more efficiently than the red spectrum, hence why corals are able to thrive in an environment completely devoid of the red spectrum. The reason the "grow lights" have a 6:1 or more ratio of reds to blues is because you don't need much blue to start photosynthesis. However, if you cram a lot of red into the light, it will certainly help, however it's not as effective. So, white light (which has generally all of the visible spectrum) does provide some reds, but they're not going to push algae growth the way that the blue will. You have a lot more play with the white light before it starts becoming a problem, but in providing the white light, you're also adding blue (white has blue in it).

Edit: Here's a rough chart to show you spectrum absorption versus efficiency. Keep in mind, and this is important for everyone to understand, 95%+ of the amino acids, carbohydrates, proteins, etc. that your corals use to grow and thrive are provided by photosynthesis. Feeding corals helps, but they evolved to lean heavily on the food provided from the dinoflagellate algae that are inside the coral.

download.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back