*SBB Corals*- Games by codybot-End of Year/ New Year!!!! 650 WYSIWYG +100 Auctions!!! Prize, games, Giveaways- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Polyp extension happens for two reasons that I'm aware of. One, the polyps extend because they're depositing the minerals/elements they're pulling from the water below themselves, which is physically how a calcifying coral grows. Two, they're trying to filter feed.

Considering that the minerals/elements used in growth for corals plateaus and starts to rise as soon as the lights are off, I'm going to guess they're trying to filter feed now that they're not getting food via photosynthesis.
I read on another post just yesterday that it was also for receiving aeration and that vendors turn off the pumps until they PE for photos. Dunno how true that is, but when you think about vendors always having pics with PE without a cloud of food for PE it makes some sense.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on another post just yesterday that it was also for receiving aeration and that vendors turn off the pumps until they PE for photos. Dunno how true that is, but when you think about vendors always having pics with PE without a cloud of food for PE it makes some sense.
No flow also helps because the light isn't bouncing around everywhere and makes pics less blurry

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Makes sense.
Actually, I stand corrected. It looks like there’s still some calcification going on after lights off.

I use a calcium reactor so my input of elements is consistent throughout the day. Lights on at noon. The peak is the 6am test. The second shelf before the alkalinity starts to drop is at noon, which is when the lights kick on. Lights off at 8pm, but the daily trough is at midnight when the trident tests, which would suggest that the corals are still growing past lights off. Perhaps that has to do with burning through the food they produced for the day.

F9F9A521-DB2B-4772-A06C-C25F25E815DF.png

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I swear I'm gonna collect all of Dana Riddles articles into one large book and call it "How To Light Coral, The Gospel According To Riddle"
No need for all that. I'll sum it up with one quote from Gregg (my partner in crime at coral websites):

"Put the corals where they grow"

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I stand corrected. It looks like there’s still some calcification going on after lights off.

I use a calcium reactor so my input of elements is consistent throughout the day. Lights on at noon. The peak is the 6am test. The second shelf before the alkalinity starts to drop is at noon, which is when the lights kick on. Lights off at 8pm, but the daily trough is at midnight when the trident tests, which would suggest that the corals are still growing past lights off. Perhaps that has to do with burning through the food they produced for the day.

View attachment 2951365
I just set it to dose every two hours in small amounts and they grow well...however it works...lol

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

View attachment 2951365
I think it does happen after lights out, Aquaforest Build specifically states to use at lights out and is supposed to help building skeleton. I use it per instructions every other day at lights off.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's why flow is so important. When chlorophyll takes the CO2 from the water to use the carbon for photosynthesis, they excrete the oxygen back into the water, same as plants. The problem with low flow is that you're not removing the oxygen away from the coral, nor are you replenishing the CO2 it needs to photosynthesize. It's not breathing in the way that we do, but it's definitely how it exchanges carbon and oxygen. Low flow is akin to suffocating a coral.

Having said that, and with the experience I have working with a lot of vendors, the reason they kill the pumps is pretty much exclusively to take better pics. Not all dip their cameras, so you need a smooth surface to shoot through. Those that dip their cameras don't want too much movement because it creates blur. No one ever bought a coral online, but they sure have bought a lot of pictures. Point being, if your pics are crap, the coral won't sell.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
View attachment 2951123

GAME REMINDER
FAMOUS CITIES

View attachment 2951129

One of the best things about the New Year are the massive firework displays in major cities around the world! Let's see if you can recognize them! For this game, I will post a picture of a famous city every hour, on the hour. The first person to correctly identify the city gets a point. After ten rounds, the person with the most points wins a $40 GIFT CARD!!!

In the event of a tie, the person that scored first wins Good luck!

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think it does happen after lights out, Aquaforest Build specifically states to use at lights out and is supposed to help building skeleton. I use it per instructions every other day at lights off.
Although it seems the calcification continues a little while after the lights go out, it's also important to note that it starts when the lights come on. Idealistically, you'd want any dosing spread over this period, although I would favor dosing at the beginning of the photoperiod versus half way through if I had to choose.

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between adjusting light on my Photon V2s so they’re not as intense (48 for the blues at max) and adjusting my Nero 5 seem to be starting to get better extension with my gonis. My newest SBB from the last sale are particularly happy and the others are starting to get happier again. Last pic is a couple SPS that are actually happy. Maybe acros are possible in my future.
E0DA2952-DBDE-4D24-80A4-D2E04BDA5B89.jpeg
F66D2E7C-DF60-490F-B07E-594F31843BF4.jpeg
1441502C-E8B9-4E74-88EA-3C8AA7AF075B.jpeg
11E00F0C-F8A5-41AA-8AFD-7BD5B7FB3380.jpeg

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's why flow is so important. When chlorophyll takes the CO2 from the water to use the carbon for photosynthesis, they excrete the oxygen back into the water, same as plants. The problem with low flow is that you're not removing the oxygen away from the coral, nor are you replenishing the CO2 it needs to photosynthesize. It's not breathing in the way that we do, but it's definitely how it exchanges carbon and oxygen. Low flow is akin to suffocating a coral.

Having said that, and with the experience I have working with a lot of vendors, the reason they kill the pumps is pretty much exclusively to take better pics. Not all dip their cameras, so you need a smooth surface to shoot through. Those that dip their cameras don't want too much movement because it creates blur. No one ever bought a coral online, but they sure have bought a lot of pictures. Point being, if your pics are crap, the coral won't sell.
Well... I guess my corals won't sell.
poop.gif

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it seems the calcification continues a little while after the lights go out, it's also important to note that it starts when the lights come on. Idealistically, you'd want any dosing spread over this period, although I would favor dosing at the beginning of the photoperiod versus half way through if I had to choose.
I'm no scientist...you folks know way more about it than I do

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Between adjusting light on my Photon V2s so they’re not as intense (48 for the blues at max) and adjusting my Nero 5 seem to be starting to get better extension with my gonis. My newest SBB from the last sale are particularly happy and the others are starting to get happier again. Last pic is a couple SPS that are actually happy. Maybe acros are possible in my future. View attachment 2951373View attachment 2951369View attachment 2951370View attachment 2951371
Extreme polyp extension on softies and LPS can also be a sign of them wanting more light. So, in summary, it can mean they're extremely happy or very upset. Aren't corals great?!!!

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well... I guess my corals won't sell.
View attachment 2951375
You'll need to get by on name recognition, which is doable, but you won't be able to charge as much without good pics. An OG bounce with a nice picture will sell faster and for more money than one with a crappy picture.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mmmmm.
..the old golden corrall ice cream gif
I went there with a friend about five years ago (his invitation, wasn't my choice). They have a chocolate fountain that every 8 year old booger infested kid with doodoo butter on their hands would put their finger in, lick, then put their finger back in to do the same thing. I think China was a coverup for how Covid-19 was originally created; the super-lab that's the Golden Coral chocolate fountain.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between adjusting light on my Photon V2s so they’re not as intense (48 for the blues at max) and adjusting my Nero 5 seem to be starting to get better extension with my gonis. My newest SBB from the last sale are particularly happy and the others are starting to get happier again. Last pic is a couple SPS that are actually happy. Maybe acros are possible in my future. View attachment 2951373View attachment 2951369View attachment 2951370View attachment 2951371
ad8fc8ab-0023-4980-9f98-b6ba9fed303a_text.gif

mww00ds

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went there with a friend about five years ago (his invitation, wasn't my choice). They have a chocolate fountain that every 8 year old booger infested kid with doodoo butter on their hands would put their finger in, lick, then put their finger back in to do the same thing. I think China was a coverup for how Covid-19 was originally created; the super-lab that's the Golden Coral chocolate fountain.
chocolate GIF

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden corrall is for when you want endless choices of mediocrity

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back