*SBB Corals*- Games by codybot-End of Year/ New Year!!!! 650 WYSIWYG +100 Auctions!!! Prize, games, Giveaways- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TankCandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I may still add a gyre soon but I will try and angle the jebao better and see what I can do with it. Likely turn the vortechs up as well.
Just installed the MCP-150 from Jebao. Its a beast. i have it on its lowest setting.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right as lights turn on, if you're only going to dose once a day, same as you should do for alkalinity if you're doing two part. I have been running a Trident for years to monitor my system with a calcium reactor, which produces a constant, even supply of elements. Shortly after the lights turn on, the alkalinity starts to dip. It then slowly drops until lights off, when it's slowly replenished overnight. The lights turning on engages the chlorophyll to start photosynthesis, which is when all the elements start getting consumed, with phosphates being a major part of that process.
That was what I thought. All these saltwater "plants" that we call corals. I figured they would use the phosphates during photosynthesis.

wes84

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done with my water change did I miss anything good? You all missed out on 35 gallons of water getting changed out via 5 gallon buckets to and from the bathroom while running the gauntlet of 3yr olds toys, a couple gallons of water running from my tile to the laminate via me not watching where i was holding the outlet tube, 1 Rubbermaid trash can with a hole melted in it, 1 fried brand new 300 watt BRS titanium heater and one 3 year old asking what that smell is then telling me she is going to tell mommy when she wakes up while immediately proceeding to ask me if she can have some candy. Oh, and one episode of Bubble Guppies on repeat for 3 hours

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no, from what I understand. Chlorophyll is chlorophyll is chlorophyll. The chlorophyll in corals is basically the same as the chlorophyll in the grass of your yard, which exclusively uses the blue and red spectrums for photosynthesis. However, the blue spectrum is used much more efficiently than the red spectrum, hence why corals are able to thrive in an environment completely devoid of the red spectrum. The reason the "grow lights" have a 6:1 or more ratio of reds to blues is because you don't need much blue to start photosynthesis. However, if you cram a lot of red into the light, it will certainly help, however it's not as effective. So, white light (which has generally all of the visible spectrum) does provide some reds, but they're not going to push algae growth the way that the blue will. You have a lot more play with the white light before it starts becoming a problem, but in providing the white light, you're also adding blue (white has blue in it).
Algae booms the whiter I go for some reason

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That was what I thought. All these saltwater "plants" that we call corals. I figured they would use the phosphates during photosynthesis.
Bingo. When you consider that virtually all their food is made via photosynthesis, they're basically just plants at that point.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Algae booms the whiter I go for some reason
Like I said, it definitely has potential to cause a problem on that front. The blue light is doing the majority of the heavy lifting though. Anyone with experience with algae turf scrubbers and red/blue LEDs will have seen this in play.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Their PE is strong at night
Polyp extension happens for two reasons that I'm aware of. One, the polyps extend because they're depositing the minerals/elements they're pulling from the water below themselves, which is physically how a calcifying coral grows. Two, they're trying to filter feed.

Considering that the minerals/elements used in growth for corals plateaus and starts to rise as soon as the lights are off, I'm going to guess they're trying to filter feed now that they're not getting food via photosynthesis.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I'm gonna collect all of Dana Riddles articles into one large book and call it "How To Light Coral, The Gospel According To Riddle"

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension happens for two reasons that I'm aware of. One, the polyps extend because they're depositing the minerals/elements they're pulling from the water below themselves, which is physically how a calcifying coral grows. Two, they're trying to filter feed.

Considering that the minerals/elements used in growth for corals plateaus and starts to rise as soon as the lights are off, I'm going to guess they're trying to filter feed now that they're not getting food via photosynthesis.
Makes sense.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back