*SBB Corals*- Games by codybot-End of Year/ New Year!!!! 650 WYSIWYG +100 Auctions!!! Prize, games, Giveaways- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, what is the key to success with maricultured colonies?
Pest control, hands down. One month light, nutrient temperature and water acclimation.

Just like wild, maricultures will work out better with a dedicated quarantine and 'inmate rehabilitation' system.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In your experience, what is the key to success with maricultured colonies?
Oh, and luck. Mariculture chop shops turn over those frags quickly, so I think sometimes it just isn't going to make it. I've had four acros not make it, but I chalk some up to the learning phase and one as I mentioned earlier in this sale thread was eaten by my SBB Afterburner, it has long feeding tentacles.

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think lol.
par_test-jpg.2924294
I run 2 gyres, jebao, 4 ft tank. I know everyone says xxx par, and looks like you got it, but have you tried turning your lights down a bit? Maybe add a gyre.

InvaderJim

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 gyres, jebao, 4 ft tank. I know everyone says xxx par, and looks like you got it, but have you tried turning your lights down a bit? Maybe add a gyre.
I have actually thought about raising them a inch or two. I have considered adding a gyre but not sure where would make the most sense.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually thought about raising them a inch or two. I have considered adding a gyre but not sure where would make the most sense.
2k gyre vertical opposite the overflow.

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite end of the return, are your other jebaos wifi?

Only reason I mention lower light, I battled dinos for several weeks and turned my light way down, everything did fine.

CodyBot

Game Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
PAR isn't the end all measurement when it comes to understanding light, corals, and photosynthesis. PAR is just one dimension.

If I was telling you how to bake a lasagna and said you need to set the oven to 350 degrees, then what's your next question? "How long?" is just as important as "how hot?". PAR meters measure the amount of visible photon radiation that hits a square inch every second (in the lasagna analogy, PAR is the temperature of the oven). When the blue and red spectrums hit the chlorophyll, its like engaging the throttle for photosynthesis. So long as there's fuel for the engines (nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon) then the engines run to the degree that they're throttled, and for the duration that they're throttled. You can achieve the same amount of photon radiation with an intense, short period or a weaker, longer period. What's interesting is that I recall Ecotech doing tests running those different photo-periods and found coloration and growth pattern variations based off of the two different photo-period schedules. I'd have to find the article/video that explores it though. I remember them saying the shorter, more intense photo-period produced less algae growth in the tank, which was interesting.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR isn't the end all measurement when it comes to understanding light, corals, and photosynthesis. PAR is just one dimension.

If I was telling you how to bake a lasagna and said you need to set the oven to 350 degrees, then what's your next question? "How long?" is just as important as "how hot?". PAR meters measure the amount of visible photon radiation that hits a square inch every second (in the lasagna analogy, PAR is the temperature of the oven). When the blue and red spectrums hit the chlorophyll, its like engaging the throttle for photosynthesis. So long as there's fuel for the engines (nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon) then the engines run to the degree that they're throttled, and for the duration that they're throttled. You can achieve the same amount of photon radiation with an intense, short period or a weaker, longer period. What's interesting is that I recall Ecotech doing tests running those different photo-periods and found coloration and growth pattern variations based off of the two different photo-period schedules. I'd have to find the article/video that explores it though. I remember them saying the shorter, more intense photo-period produced less algae growth in the tank, which was interesting.
Less white helps with algae also

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agree with this, acros will brown out or lose interesting colors with inadequate light, but most people failing are just having RTN or STN due to many factors not adding up.

InvaderJim

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite end of the return, are your other jebaos wifi?

Only reason I mention lower light, I battled dinos for several weeks and turned my light way down, everything did fine.
No it isn't wifi. It's just a cheap little pump I threw in there to get some more water movement.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this, acros will brown out or lose interesting colors with inadequate light, but most people failing are just having RTN or STN due to many factors not adding up.
I think it's lack of diversity from dry rocks. I did dry rock but seeded later on from a bunch of different places

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back