+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

My main user Disstons are a pair of D-23's from the 40's I believe.

Planes are a mixed bag. I started with some vintage users, but buy new most of the time now. Router plane and low angle jack are Veritas. #4 and block are Lie Nielsen. Standard #5 is a vintage "Bridge Tool Co" out of St. Louis. (Made by Seargant I believe) #7 is a cool vintage Siegley. I have a number of old Stanley's and woodies laying around as well that don't see much use these days.

How about you? (Sorry to derail your thread
First rule.. derailing is the norm.

I'm more of a hybrid hand tool guy. My number four and five are Stanley sweetheart. Lee Nielsen low angle Jack plane. I've got a few sergeants that I have done blade work to for specific profiles and my grandfather's Craftsman plane from the early 60s, which is my hog out plane. Got a really cool old wood jointer plane and the only time I've ever used that is on the bench.

BRS

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm more of a hybrid hand tool guy. My number four and five are Stanley sweetheart. Lee Nielsen low angle Jack plane. I've got a few sergeants that I have done blade work to for specific profiles and my grandfather's Craftsman plane from the early 60s, which is my hog out plane. Got a really cool old wood jointer plane and the only time I've ever used that is on the bench.
Those old planes never break and always work, most of the new ones are so awful

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah as much as I like hand tools, I'm definitely a hybrid guy as well. Nice collection!

Those old planes never break and always work, most of the new ones are so awful

Pretty much all my new hand tools come from Lie Nielsen and Veritas. Both make top notch tools that rival (surpass most of the time) anything vintage. The old stuff is still great though

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as much as I like hand tools, I'm definitely a hybrid guy as well. Nice collection!

Pretty much all my new hand tools come from Lie Nielsen and Veritas. Both make top notch tools that rival (surpass most of the time) anything vintage. The old stuff is still great though
I have never bought a full size yet, I am stuck with the electric and hand planes, have always wanted table but haven't done it yet

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We run a lot of the same kit. Delta unisaw. DeWalt 4 post planer.

Was your cabinet saw three phase or one?

The Vega Pro fence was an amazing upgrade

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run a lot of the same kit. Delta unisaw. DeWalt 4 post planer.

Was your cabinet saw three phase or one?

The Vega Pro fence was an amazing upgrade

Oh nice! I'd give up woodworking before giving up that Dewalt.

The unisaw is a 1953 I restored. It's a 3 hp 3 phase machine running an eBay VFD. The fence upgrade made all the difference! Are you lucky enough to have a single phase?

Also have a 1943 Delta DP220 drill press and 1937 14" Delta bandsaw I've restored. I love the old Delta iron! (Ignore the shop, it was under construction)
20191201_203147.jpg

AS
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! I'd give up woodworking before giving up that Dewalt.

The unisaw is a 1953 I restored. It's a 3 hp 3 phase machine running an eBay VFD. The fence upgrade made all the difference! Are you lucky enough to have a single phase?

Also have a 1943 Delta DP220 drill press and 1937 14" Delta bandsaw I've restored. I love the old Delta iron! (Ignore the shop, it was under construction)
View attachment 3116761
Yes, but it wasn't born that way. Mine is an 86, which happens to be my vintage as well. It came with a seven horse three phase. I replaced it with an american-made 5 horse single phase baldor. I'm fairly certain I can run an inch and a half thick dado stack fully exposed through 10/4 hard maple and the saw wouldn't notice.

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it wasn't born that way. Mine is an 86, which happens to be my vintage as well. It came with a seven horse three phase. I replaced it with an american-made 5 horse single phase baldor. I'm fairly certain I can run an inch and a half thick dado stack fully exposed through 10/4 hard maple and the saw wouldn't notice.

Whew, that's a beast! I though 5hp was the largest option from Delta/Rockwell, 7 is crazy.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, that's a beast! I though 5hp was the largest option from Delta/Rockwell, 7 is crazy.
Very possible it was 5hp. I'm celebrating the holiday early...

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so once I talk to @Joe Glass Cages the updated list is looking like the below after todays talks:

• 40lbs dry marco bottom, 40lbs premium rock, 40 lbs starter
  • mp40's 2-3
  • 60" t5 + 3 reef LED90 or 2 Kessil A360X
  • sump - between either the DIY with the premade baffles on the 40 breeder, or one of the trigger pre mades, think I will see how I feel after I make the homemade stand this weekend.
  • homemade stand - thinking 2x6's for a bit of the over the top stability on a 180 wrapped in some cabinet ply

I think I am going to bench the Apex for the time being until I see if I really want it but go with digital measurements as the non read out ones seem like a pain in the butt (unless of course digital don't exist)

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so once I talk to @Joe Glass Cages the updated list is looking like the below after todays talks:

• mp40's 2-3
  • sump - between either the DIY with the premade baffles on the 40 breeder, or one of the trigger pre mades, think I will see how I feel after I make the homemade stand this weekend.
  • homemade stand - thinking 2x6's for a bit of the over the top stability on a 180 wrapped in some cabinet ply

I think I am going to bench the Apex for the time being until I see if I really want it but go with digital measurements as the non read out ones seem like a pain in the butt (unless of course digital don't exist)
Solid... and Joe will do you right. Simple easy process...

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid... and Joe will do you right. Simple easy process...
my plan initially was dry rock but I assume this live rock will cycle things much quicker, so it probably will speed up the process quite a bit which is a nice surprise

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my plan initially was dry rock but I assume this live rock will cycle things much quicker, so it probably will speed up the process quite a bit which is a nice surprise
I'm still cycling my dryrock! I went full tinfoil hat...

Scratch08

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• mp40's 2-3

If you decide to go with store bought sump, check out Bashsea as well before you commit to the Trigger Systems… they have multiple versions and sizes. My current sump is the Smart Series 3618…build quality is exceptional. I’ve had Triggers in the past and they aren’t bad, but their build quality isn’t always top notch and for comparable price, the Bashsea leaves the Trigger in the dust…just my opinion though. Or…talk to Joe about a package deal on tank and sump… it’ll be top notch for sure.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would do anything possible, not to put the tank next to the TV...

It'll look off centered in the room (taller deeper and wider on the right side), and the TV will be nothing but a distraction from the actual entertainment..

its basically a man cave so if I wanted I could just remove the tv/stand, only thing on there that is required is the modem/smart lights etc

that being said if I moved the tv/stand, the possibilities then skyrocket

Fair warning... There are Nothing but enables here ...

Rehome the TV

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back