Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you , now i really feel old..."facepalm here"
shhhhhh..

I had to google it.........
You would not believe how many times I saw that acronym and wondered what it meant before I actually thought to look it up...

My infant squirrel attention span isn't your problem. I still read the whole thing.

Some things benefit from brevity. Some don't even work is it needs to be compressed.

I don't remember where it came from but I like the saying "Make it as simple as it needs to be. No simpler"
I'm very aware of the KISS method as an engineer (Keep It Stupid Simple), but I struggle to apply it due to the complexities I add to the process of trying to simplify it... very similar to the Mark Twain quote mentioned by @Mschmidt : sometimes it is more confusing or takes even longer to keep it shorter.

Brevity is the soul of wit, so my wit often has no soul.

That is also a good saying and how I often try to keep it, though I find that discussions centered on life philosophies can never be shortened enough to keep the attention of most others. Too many facets/nuances come into play based on different biases, life experiences, practical considerations, etc.

I'm just happy if I have not become the annoying one enough to have to find a different group of cronies!

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You would not believe how many times I saw that acronym and wondered what it meant before I actually thought to look it up...
I would believe it. I've seen it many times and just never got around to looking it up. Too many words to worry about it.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brevity is the soul of wit, so my wit often has no soul.
If brevity is the soul of wit, I shall be brief, Lost is mad...
I would believe it. I've seen it many times and just never got around to looking it up. Too many words to worry about it.
Words words words

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm thinking about it, maybe I could have simplified the statements of what I meant by just quoting Carl Gustav Jung several times (maybe this helps clear up my views, maybe it just complicates it; some are related directly to the earlier discussion, some not so directly):

"Most people consider themselves very knowledgeable in psychology for one simple reason: psychology for them comes down to what they know about themselves."

"You are what you do, not what you say you'll do."

"Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people."

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed."

"To ask the right question is already half of the solution of a problem."

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses."

"Wholeness is not achieved by cutting off a portion of one's being, but by integration of the contraries."

"You are not what happened to you, you are what you choose to become."

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

"Where your fear is, there is your task."

"If a man knows more than others, he becomes lonely."

"Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge."

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness."

"The shoe that fits one person pinches another. There is no recipe for living that suits all cases."

"People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls."

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside dreams, who looks inside awakes."

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life, and you will call it fate."

"In each of us there is another whom we do not know."

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."

"Don't rush to help those who haven't asked you to, because not everyone who is drowning needs a hand; some want to drown."

Anyhow, there's my philosophical input for the day!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very aware of the KISS method as an engineer (Keep It Stupid Simple),
A philosophical engineer in our midst. Thank you for the warning. I’ll get the popcorn whenever I see your name pop into my notifications. Also, I have always thought it was Keep It Simple Stupid.

In all seriousness, I read all of each of your posts and enjoyed them. I will continue to do so. Please do not be flattered, though, as I read all of everyone’s posts. I just don’t enjoy all of them.

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people."

I’m a big fan of Jung and all things philosophical, psychological and psychiatric. So much so that my better half is a psychologist. I believe my love for these things started at a young age as an attempt to figure out the workings of my own mind. Since then it has also developed as a way to understand others. The quote above is one of my favorites. I believe that a great many people fail to even begin an understanding of their own darkness let alone gaining an understanding of how dark one can become.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A philosophical engineer in our midst. Thank you for the warning. I’ll get the popcorn whenever I see your name pop into my notifications. Also, I have always thought it was Keep It Simple Stupid.

In all seriousness, I read all of each of your posts and enjoyed them. I will continue to do so. Please do not be flattered, though, as I read all of everyone’s posts. I just don’t enjoy all of them.
Giving warning is important to me!
I've heard the saying both ways "Simple Stupid" and "Stupid Simple" and just prefer the second way. The first seems to be an accusatory judgement where the second is a reminder to not assume more prior knowledge than necessary, i.e. simple enough even for someone who is stupid (think "Idiot's Guide").

I’m a big fan of Jung and all things philosophical, psychological and psychiatric. So much so that my better half is a psychologist. I believe my love for these things started at a young age as an attempt to figure out the workings of my own mind. Since then it has also developed as a way to understand others. The quote above is one of my favorites. I believe that a great many people fail to even begin an understanding of their own darkness let alone gaining an understanding of how dark one can become.
Incorporation of the "Shadow" is a critical component to understanding Jung's thinking.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Giving warning is important to me!
I've heard the saying both ways "Simple Stupid" and "Stupid Simple" and just prefer the second way. The first seems to be an accusatory judgement where the second is a reminder to not assume more prior knowledge than necessary, i.e. simple enough even for someone who is stupid (think "Idiot's Guide").
I think it's supposed to be accusatory.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I already know your reply was going to be something along these lines? Seriously…

Top Shelf Aquatics

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's supposed to be accusatory.
Sure, sometimes. I think it depends on application. Accusing my fellow workers who spend their time in the fabrication shop does not get me very far, while I may more often accuse myself with this saying and find benefit from it. I know it's a personal opinion...

How did I already know your reply was going to be something along these lines? Seriously…
I've noticed you seem to understand me! As you get to know me, my personality becomes quite predictable in some ways. Think text-book Myers-Briggs INFJ (not namby-pamby "I want to be INFJ 'cause its rare and seems cool!"; any real INFJ knows better), for what it's worth. Personality types are a whole discussion more to deeply derail Lost's thread, unless he wants us to go there! I'd better move back to my own thread before I just continue to prove my "TLDR" tendencies...

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If brevity is the soul of wit, I shall be brief, Lost is mad...

I Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sure, sometimes. I think it depends on application. Accusing my fellow workers who spend their time in the fabrication shop does not get me very far, while I may more often accuse myself with this saying and find benefit from it. I know it's a personal opinion...

I've noticed you seem to understand me! As you get to know me, my personality becomes quite predictable in some ways. Think text-book Myers-Briggs INFJ (not namby-pamby "I want to be INFJ 'cause its rare and seems cool!"; any real INFJ knows better), for what it's worth. Personality types are a whole discussion more to deeply derail Lost's thread, unless he wants us to go there! I'd better move back to my own thread before I just continue to prove my "TLDR" tendencies...
I still don't know what TLDR means and now I have no clue what INFJ means.

Top Shelf Aquatics

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t worry about it. Even if you did know you wouldn’t understand.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I keep it up, I'll be taking over Lost's thread entirely!

TLDR or TL;DR: Too Long; Didn't Read
In other words, a request for a summary rather than needing to take the time to read through a long text wall.

INFJ: One specific set of personality characteristics according to Myers-Briggs type indicators. If you are really interested in trying to understand personalities (your own or others'), look it up. Otherwise, skip this blackhole entirely!

10 reasons people are intimidated by INFJ's

Nutramar Foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

In other words, a request for a summary rather than needing to take the time to read through a long text wall.

INFJ: One specific set of personality characteristics according to Myers-Briggs type indicators. If you are really interested in trying to understand personalities (your own or others'), look it up. Otherwise, skip this blackhole entirely!
I did the Meyers-Briggs and gave the results to my wife. She cried.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the Meyers-Briggs and gave the results to my wife. She cried.
...in a good-sort-of way like it makes sense or in a bad-sort-of way like a warning?
Due to my interest in personality types, I find it interesting to know what other people's types are, although I still firmly believe you should not put too much stock in it, especially if you've only taken a handful of such tests.

AquaCave Logo Banner

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10 reasons why people are intimidated by INFJ's
The problem with the Myers-Briggs assessment and others like it is that I do not think people are completely honest taking them. Mostly because many people cannot be completely honest with themselves.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've done True Colors personality test, Meyers-Briggs, the Sanguine one, and like 3 or 4 others. Basically I'm an extroverted introvert that needs to go hide in the forest occasionally makes a lot of noise but wants it quiet always. I'm just OCD enough to get in trouble and have enough empathy to be happy when I have to fire someone.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Kinetics
Back