Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I, too enjoy this discussion. As evidenced by my presence here today, and my absence when the bananas come out. ATM my brain is sticking, its been a whole day of heavy, not just here. I will say as a final statement, I agree with what I understand you to be saying. It is heavier perhaps than Lost was expecting, but he is the one who asked where we get our news and teed it up to lead to a deeper discussion.

I am reminded of dude's words "an unexamined life is not worth living".
send the bananas my way!

CLICK TO VIEW

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, I'm not saying a thing can be fully defined, just that there is an objective truth beyond our subjective thinking and senses that we cannot conclusively define due to our own limitations. For example: there is an exact reason each biological component of our reef ecosystems thrives or fails and wins out over, cohabitates, or loses to other biological components. Since we cannot observe every detail about every organism and understand all interactions, we only make educated guesses based on what we can observe. I would have to think about this more if I were to try to better put what I mean into words.
The statement about understanding my experiences and worldview do not define (nor ever will define) the only valid one is exactly part of what I am trying to get at. Realization of one's biases should bring enough humility to consider all perspectives in order to try to prove them instead of just being outright dismissive if it does not confirm my bias.

We also find agreement that proving absolutely false is difficult (and ultimately probably impossible depending on how specific or general the point). I don't mean proving "wrong" so much as disallowing logical fallacies to stand or to permit blatant contradictions to exist. I think we need to be consistent within what we believe to be true and be able to address why we do not agree with those who disagree with us rather than just "agreeing to disagree" in order to avoid discussion or because we realize that we don't actually understand deeply enough what we do believe to be able to counter an argument against our belief. It goes deep into what I think can only be described as "faith" in something. I don't just mean this in sense of religion or theology, but rather that we all believe things that we cannot prove exactly to those around us because we believe without having an exact sight of what it is we believe, or maybe that we cannot express exactly how the belief applies to what we expect of others. Maybe we should always dig deeper to understand the purpose or goal of what we believe and how we prove our beliefs, even those so deep as to be hidden to our conscious thought at times, through the way we choose to act.

In the end, philosophical thinking, in my opinion, should lead us to have a common respect for each person we interact with even if we disagree. It does not mean all opinions are "right", but disagreement should not result in a loss of respect for each other. Maybe this is to say that I appreciate humility in others and should strive to be humble? We should back what we say with an argument, or statement of why we think something, rather than resorting to arguing (disagreement of beliefs where neither side can make headway because neither side will offer the reasons for the belief so they can be critiqued by opponents).

I do enjoy philosophical discussion for a practical purpose in the end. This might be getting too unrelated for a reef forum and Lost's thread, though...
You defn. don't get this kind of discussion on the cichlid forums!

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
send the bananas my way!
10-4 buddy
banana-prank.gif

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to think about this more if I were to try to better put what I mean into words.
To paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The good thing about reality is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The good thing about reality is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
He's a lot of fun to listen to, in long format on JRE

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Three, enjoy this discussion, and discussion like it. Be respectful, debate in good faith and don't get my thread locked (still got a backup ;) and we good.

@Soren absolutely triggers my TLDR tendencies, but that was well put and you and I agree on many parts.
Philosophical discussion is definitely my interest, though I'll probably always trigger TLDR tendencies (sorry, maybe I'll add a TLDR to my posts as the best summary, though near impossible when philosophy is involved!)

I try to be concise in my speech, but end up with too many thoughts to share in the hopes of being understood that the words just keep coming even when I try to limit them!

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Philosophical discussion is definitely my interest, though I'll probably always trigger TLDR tendencies (sorry, maybe I'll add a TLDR to my posts as the best summary, though near impossible when philosophy is involved!)

I try to be concise in my speech, but end up with too many thoughts to share in the hopes of being understood that the words just keep coming even when I try to limit them!
lol! I was going to blanket the whole conversation with a TLDR but then decided it would be insensitive ;)

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! I was going to blanket the whole conversation with a TLDR but then decided it would be insensitive ;)
At least I know what it means and am well aware my typical post is validly judged as such!

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least I know what it means and am well aware my typical post is validly judged as such!
My infant squirrel attention span isn't your problem. I still read the whole thing.

Some things benefit from brevity. Some don't even work is it needs to be compressed.

I don't remember where it came from but I like the saying "Make it as simple as it needs to be. No simpler"

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My infant squirrel attention span isn't your problem. I still read the whole thing.

Some things benefit from brevity. Some don't even work is it needs to be compressed.

I don't remember where it came from but I like the saying "Make it as simple as it needs to be. No simpler"
Kamala Harris Reaction GIF by The Democrats

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a letter from Mark Twain or C.S. Lewis, I forget who, that begins "I'm sorry this letter is so long, I didn't have time to make a short one." Maybe it was a president.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a letter from Mark Twain or C.S. Lewis, I forget who, that begins "I'm sorry this letter is so long, I didn't have time to make a short one." Maybe it was a president.
That's a good one.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back