Red sea seam failure preparedness

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own a red sea 625 XXL v3. It has the center brace. I have so much invested into this tank that I'm setting up another tank in the event of a catastrophic failure. What else can I buy? Let's say the a front seam fails... What can I buy now to be prepared for this type of event? Clamps, sealant, straps? What would work best as temporary fix?? I would need enough time to take things out and move them over. Can someone give me some advice?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic sheet/trash bag to push up against the interior of the seam that fails to prevent or slow water loss while you transfer.

I think also us red sea owners should look into ways to modify our stands to support the bottom of the front pane of glass, which seems to be the main cause of seam failure.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own a red sea 625 XXL v3. It has the center brace. I have so much invested into this tank that I'm setting up another tank in the event of a catastrophic failure. What else can I buy? Let's say the a front seam fails... What can I buy now to be prepared for this type of event? Clamps, sealant, straps? What would work best as temporary fix?? I would need enough time to take things out and move them over. Can someone give me some advice?
If your setting up a tank incase of failure, why not just move it all over. Sounds like you already don't trust the tank.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 redsea tanks. If your that concerned maybe you would be better off just setting up a new tank that makes you confident then move everything in and sell the RS. At least then you might then be able to relax and enjoy the tank instead of preparing for a catastaphe.

EuphyllinOHk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 redsea tanks. If your that concerned maybe you would be better off just setting up a new tank that makes you confident then move everything in and sell the RS. At least then you might then be able to relax and enjoy the tank instead of preparing for a catastaphe.

+1 for this sentiment. If you're going to set up and transfer to a new tank, do it on your terms instead of the tank seams' terms. It'll be safer for your tank stock if you do the transfer with a cool head and no water leaking onto your floor - less likely to make mistakes.

I, amongst many others I'm sure, have lost fish by hitting the emergency button and jumping them over to quarantine too fast. I think most people would run into similar scenarios with a tank seal failure. Having a warm tank with proper salinity ready for the transfer, at your leisure, sounds like a much better way of going about this. Gentler on the fish, and gentler on the fishkeeper.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when my RS 750XXL seam failed, i quickly put a strap/brace around it to stop the water from coming out. I then moved all livestock to some frag tanks that a friend lent me. I'm sure a barrel or large bucket might also be handy. btw - RS did make me whole (even after 39 months which was 3 past the warrantee). It was a G1 which is known to fail like mine did. Hoping for the best with my G2. I do have 2 old 50g barrels on the side of my house in case of another one - with extra heater. This way i can also save all live rock in addition to fish and coral.

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my RS seam failure you could see bubbles in the silicone so I got ahead of it and got a replacement from RS before there was water on the floor.

can you see any bubbles in the silicone? is the tank level?

if you have the other tank I would just move things over to it and sleep good at night.
you can keep the RS tank and make a palladium or something cool.

edit: if you dont or cant do that from some reason. I would get a 150-300 gal stock tank. if the seam fails you can get all the water, sand ,rocks, fish, lights, skimmers ect in to that and have a complete system pretty fast.

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say enough good things about this stuff. I've used it many times on many things and it just works. Most recently on a 200 gallon plastic water tank for a mobile pressure washer at work. Someone threw a shovel on the trailer and cut a 4" gash in the side a couple of inches from the bottom about 6 months ago. I slapped on a piece of the Gorilla tape and it's still leak free.

I'm not really concerned about any failures on my tank, but I keep a roll handy anyway.

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea as well, and I will just be monitoring the seam. While its clear there's a design flaw somewhere, they don't all fail.

If I were to purchase a new tank due to the worry, I'd be dealing with transferring everything and using the new tank. Most of what you likely need for the transfer you'd need for the disaster as well.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sad that you have all of these extra expenses related to an already expensive tank.

I'd purchase a used 125 gallon tank (think Aqueon or Marineland) with simple filtration and have it up and running so that you can move things over at the first sign seams are beginning to fail.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your setting up a tank incase of failure, why not just move it all over. Sounds like you already don't trust the tank.
I just hear stories you know so yes I'm worried. The tank I'm setting up is smaller. Its a secondary tank to help alleviate some livestock loss. I can't put everything in that tank. I'm sure most red sea owners are fine but there are many horror stories

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in purchasing a new tank but would feel terrible passing the time bomb off to another.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's another tank I could set up that doesn't have this issue?

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in purchasing a new tank but would feel terrible passing the time bomb off to another.
Its not a red sea, but a current USA recommended to me from Vintagereefer on here. His posts got me interested in it after some good reviews and the stand. I trust the stand. Its solid.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back