R2R LIVE SALE 3/5/22 SAT - Aqua SD 15th Year Anniversary LIVE SALE - Discounts, Games, Freebies, Fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Critteraholic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXCEPT! I do not want any of those friggin' amphipods. Before Death, I was training a molly to eat them because they were eating my zoas and nearly starved my RFA to death.

A Christmas gift, though, would be to find mini brittles stars as hitchhikers.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXCEPT! I do not want any of those friggin' amphipods. Before Death, I was training a molly to eat them because they were eating my zoas and nearly starved my RFA to death.

I only have 1 brittle star that I know of and he's not really mini. He's not one of the big ones either. Wouldn't mind some if the small ones.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other night I saw one that had to be 8" nightmare fuel. I wear gloves when I reach in my tank thankfully.
Back when my 380 gallon was running I had a 12' Baseodiscus mexicanus in the display. Fully stretched out, it was over 20' in length, but when relaxed, closer to 12' it stayed curled up in a giant ball during the day, half hidden in a hole in one of the rocks, and a pair of ocellaris clowns treated it like an anemone. It ate bristleworms, and occasionally a clam on the half shell. Never bothered any other inhabitants. I used to catch the big bristleworms from the 150 gallon stock tank sump/refugium and feed them to it at night with tongs. It would latch onto them and pull them into the rockwork, and there would be an empty husk of a bristleworm in the morning. It looked like a giant zebra striped tapeworm. Accidentally killed it when I didn't think about it and treated the tank with praziquantel. Prazi kills flatworms, and it was a giant flatworm.

Screenshot_20220307-021146_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220307-021120_Gallery.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only hitchhikers I have that didn't get eaten. Red micro Brittle stars. Really neat little guys that live on the gorgonians. Never seen them come off. They just grab food that gets caught in the branches of the gorgonian to eat.

received_643713846971621.jpeg
received_1141640392907386.jpeg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when my 380 gallon was running I had a 12' Baseodiscus mexicanus in the display. Fully stretched out, it was over 20' in length, but when relaxed, closer to 12' it stayed curled up in a giant ball during the day, half hidden in a hole in one of the rocks, and a pair of ocellaris clowns treated it like an anemone. It ate bristleworms, and occasionally a clam on the half shell. Never bothered any other inhabitants. I used to catch the big bristleworms from the 150 gallon stock tank sump/refugium and feed them to it at night with tongs. It would latch onto them and pull them into the rockwork, and there would be an empty husk of a bristleworm in the morning. It looked like a giant zebra striped tapeworm. Accidentally killed it when I didn't think about it and treated the tank with praziquantel. Prazi kills flatworms, and it was a giant flatworm.

View attachment 2579238View attachment 2579239
Well that is nightmare fuel bit also Awesome!!!!!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is nightmare fuel bit also Awesome!!!!!
Pretty cool, just obviously needs a big tank. And if anything tried to eat it, it would produce a purple noxious slime/substance in the water, that I'm assuming is also poisonous. It would drive the skimmer nuts. I always ran fresh carbon, skimmed heavily, kept the tank well aerated, and the Angelfish only tried nipping at it twice (Koran and lemonpeel). Even the triggerfish knew to avoid it.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2579246
@Fishfreak2009 this is the pic I was talking about.
I actually like bubble algae as well, never had it take over in a tank. I love finding the giant ones here in St Kitts, some are literally 3" across. The locals call them sea pearls when they wash up on the beach, because they get a shiny appearance when they get huge.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like bubble algae as well, never had it take over in a tank. I love finding the giant ones here in St Kitts, some are literally 3" across. The locals call them sea pearls when they wash up on the beach, because they get a shiny appearance when they get huge.
Mine pops up when my crabs get lazy or they molt and hide for 2 or 3 days. I just got in scrape it off and suck it out of the tank. But I really wish my emeralds wouldn't get lazy every now and then.

Corgigirl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have tons of mini brittle stars…if you’re ever in VA, you’re welcome to some!

Corgigirl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never bought from aqua sd . If there is an after sale, do they announce it? Or what's the low down?
They almost always have an after sale. They’ll announce it here, on their website, and send out an email if you’re on their list. Great people to deal with!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good is thier shipping? Do all corals arrive alive?
Nicest packed corals I have ever received. Always arrive warm and healthy, even in the dead of winter in Michigan. There's a reason I order so many frags online, and always order from AquaSD. None of the other online vendors compare in health, quality, or price. And the AquaSD corals actually look like they do in the sale pictures, which is a lot more than most other online vendors using pure blue lighting and yellow camera lenses

They also have amazing customer service to work with if you do have any issues.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good is thier shipping? Do all corals arrive alive?
I've never had a coral come dead or dying. Worst thing I ever had was a zoa polyp pop off a frag plug from the others and I glued it to a new frag plug and made a frag of that zoa right away! I've never gotten a wet box even. Most things come triple or double bagged. I don't think they single bag anything.

Seamore2001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last order (Lunar New Year's sale) was also my first order with AquaSD. That order arrived with a wet box. But all of the coral arrived alive and have thrived.
The shipping cost on this sale is excellent for overnight as well.
I've purchased in this current sale - I am pleased with AquaSD so far.

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last order (Lunar New Year's sale) was also my first order with AquaSD. That order arrived with a wet box. But all of the coral arrived alive and have thrived.
The shipping cost on this sale is excellent for overnight as well.
I've purchased in this current sale - I am pleased with AquaSD so far.
Yea I'm pretty surprised with the shipping cost. I'll be honest, that's what drew me in. Is that a normal shipping cost for them or is that just for the live sales?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back