Question about some strange worms

Nasica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have, what I believe to be, a fairly healthy tank with some clown fish, and anemones; although I am fairly new to this hobby.
Lately I have noticed more spaghetti type worms than before in the tank, but I wasn't too concerned as I have read these are helpful with cleanup.
Looking more closely, along with the spaghetti type worms I also noticed some worms with 'spines' uniformly down each side. I didn't think much of this. However; the other day I noticed one of these worms trying to help itself to one of the anemone's food (The anemone is completely fine after this, no ill effects at all).
Are these benign worms and not to be worried about? Or are they the notorious fireworm I've read about while trying to research this? If the latter, could someone please recommend me a guide on how to remove them. The live rock contains a number of anemone of various types. The worms seem quite active after feeding the anemones.

Pictures are below

Open photo
Open photo

Thank you for your help.

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have, what I believe to be, a fairly healthy tank with some clown fish, and anemones; although I am fairly new to this hobby.
Lately I have noticed more spaghetti type worms than before in the tank, but I wasn't too concerned as I have read these are helpful with cleanup.
Looking more closely, along with the spaghetti type worms I also noticed some worms with 'spines' uniformly down each side. I didn't think much of this. However; the other day I noticed one of these worms trying to help itself to one of the anemone's food (The anemone is completely fine after this, no ill effects at all).
Are these benign worms and not to be worried about? Or are they the notorious fireworm I've read about while trying to research this? If the latter, could someone please recommend me a guide on how to remove them. The live rock contains a number of anemone of various types. The worms seem quite active after feeding the anemones.

Pictures are below

Open photo
Open photo

Thank you for your help.
The top picture looks like a brittle starfish, the bottom picture looks like a bristleworm

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic almost looks more like brittle star legs than worms.

The second looks like a normal bristle worm. Some people hate them and do what they can to remove them but many leave them. I have a few that don’t bother anything. Unless they get quite large they are generally harmless.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah top looks like micro brittle star legs and I agree with bristleworm consensus as well

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back