Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talked into placing some live rock early on to help my tank mature. I was rewarded with aiptasia, bubble algae, green hair algae, and God knows what else.

I was patient and persistent and eventually managed all these challenges, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste. I learned a lot and was able to control my frustration.

Now I am wondering if there would be a market for pest-free live rock. I've got a couple of empty 10 gallon tanks available. I could set these up with dry rock and cycle them.

Any thoughts?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

cpschult

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talked into placing some live rock early on to help my tank mature. I was rewarded with aiptasia, bubble algae, green hair algae, and God knows what else.

I was patient and persistent and eventually managed all these challenges, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste. I learned a lot and was able to control my frustration.

Now I am wondering if there would be a market for pest-free live rock. I've got a couple of empty 10 gallon tanks available. I could set these up with dry rock and cycle them.

Any thoughts?
Depends on your area really. There may be a market for it, may not.

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how much you want to sell it for, I guess. I see peeps selling their "live rock from their tanks" about $10/lbs. I won't pay someone for that.

New dry rock costs about $4/lbs. So between $4 and $10, how much money can you make for your efforts with a 10 gallon tank? Not much IMO.

But your idea is a good one. I built a 20 gallon damsel tank and filled it with dry rock. Anytime I add something into that tank, I bleach it first, so I know the rocks are completely pest free. and fully live and matured rock. I swap them in and out of my tanks as I need, they never grow algae. But IMO it takes at least 8-10 months to get this "fully mature" point.

It works for me and my purpose, but I don't think I would be successful trying to sell it

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of those LFS's may have offending pests.

Has anyone ever achieved a mature, stocked reef tank without having to deal with a pest at some point? Seems like a fools errand to me.

Maybe there's a market though, probably depends on your area.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?
Where did you order you LR from originally?

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet rock isn’t LR…. Are you talking about cycling dry rock for people…?
Bingo. I’ll never build another tank without actual ocean rock. Don’t care what comes in on it. I still would love to know the secret that these magicians are using to have awesome dry rock tanks in 6 months

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet rock isn’t LR…. Are you talking about cycling dry rock for people…?
Perhaps I don't understand the term "live rock." I'm thinking that I would try to produce rock that was fully cycled and matured minus the pests that arrived once I placed it in my tank. Is that possible? Or does the term "live rock" necessarily include the pests?

I'm not thinking of providing an entire rockscape for someone, just a quality piece of rock that could seed a new tank without introducing the various pests. Is that a contradictory statement?

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I don't understand the term "live rock." I'm thinking that I would try to produce rock that was fully cycled and matured minus the pests that arrived once I placed it in my tank. Is that possible? Or does the term "live rock" necessarily include the pests?

I'm not thinking of providing an entire rockscape for someone, just a quality piece of rock that could seed a new tank without introducing the various pests. Is that a contradictory statement?
When people say "seed their tank" it usually refers to the use of ocean live rock (not the pest necessarily) that have like10,000x more strains of bacteria than you can get with bottled bac. If you're just going to be adding bottled bac and ammonia to cycle the rock, there's not much of an advantage over people just buying their own dry rock and pouring bottled bac in themselves.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m years out from building my dream tank. But I took about 6lbs of the ocean rock from my current build and have a 5 gallon bucket in my laundry room with about 20lbs of dry rock in it soaking in saltwater. I do a water change once a month and top off once a week and drop a little food in it. It’s got a cheap heater and cheap filter. I pay it no mind and plan on keeping it that way for an undetermined amount of time. I’ll probably expand and add more rock and bigger container one day. Hoping it will jump start my 90 cube dream build. I dream small I know

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how much you want to sell it for, I guess. I see peeps selling their "live rock from their tanks" about $10/lbs. I won't pay someone for that.

New dry rock costs about $4/lbs. So between $4 and $10, how much money can you make for your efforts with a 10 gallon tank? Not much IMO.

But your idea is a good one. I built a 20 gallon damsel tank and filled it with dry rock. Anytime I add something into that tank, I bleach it first, so I know the rocks are completely pest free. and fully live and matured rock. I swap them in and out of my tanks as I need, they never grow algae. But IMO it takes at least 8-10 months to get this "fully mature" point.

It works for me and my purpose, but I don't think I would be successful trying to sell it
Like everything in this hobby, patience is key. That's what I was thinking. 8-10 months to get a quality biome established. Not looking to get into a full-time business, just wondering if there is a market niche I could fill to offset the costs of my hobby.

Last edited:

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Live rock has sponges, feather dusters, coraline, various filter feeders, pods, corals, critters and creatures all beneficial to a reef tank.

what you’re talking about is just boring rock with a bio filter. You’ll never be able to mature it to the point of a rock that’s been submerged in the ocean. in your terrified chicken little sterile biome and make it worth your time. Won’t happen.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything in this hobby, patience is key. That's what I was thinking. 8-10 months to get a quality bionome established. Not looking to get into a full-time business, just wondering if there is a market niche I could fill to offset the costs of my hobby.
8 to 10 month old dry rock that’s been soaking is absolutely not what I’d consider mature. Especially in the sterile “biome” you’re trying to create

BRS

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 to 10 month old dry is absolutely not what I’d consider mature.
My definition of mature means that it's been in contact with a wide diversity of organisms which all contribute something (making it "live")...8 month dry rock in bottled bac for 8 months will give you the same several strains of bacteria in the bottle...nothing more. If you're just adding bottled bac to dry rock in a tank to isolate it from everything except bacteria, it certainly won't take 8 months for those few strains of bacteria to colonize the rock

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say "seed their tank" it usually refers to the use of ocean live rock (not the pest necessarily) that have like10,000x more strains of bacteria than you can get with bottled bac. If you're just going to be adding bottled bac and ammonia to cycle the rock, there's not much of an advantage over people just buying their own dry rock and pouring bottled bac in themselves.
So, if I have a mature tank and I take a scoop of sand from that tank, I quarantine that sand for several weeks, seeing that it has no undesirable life, then place that in a tank full of dry rock, along with heat, flow, filtration, and food, just like any typical DT, minus fish and coral would I expect that rock to mature and become live rock that is pest-free? Is there any value in that rock to other hobbyists?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back