Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly open on budget. I would like to be able to aquascape it but not sure how much I will be able to do with live wet rock.

I will have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump to start with. After I get a bit established and I'm not TERRIBLE at this, then the 40 gallon will become the breeder, 20 will be a quarantine and I'll buy a bigger tank. Maybe something around the 130 range. Depends on how things roll.

40 breeder is a good size. Very popular. If you haven't already start looking at what sort of reef you are aiming for be it soft, lps, or sps. Or mixed. Then do a search on 40 breeders to get a visualization on scale. I would also consider fish. Often overlooked is fish and their typical area of reef coverage. Some are on outer reef, some shallow, some in open water, etc. This will help aquascape designs.

My experience and opinion is more rock, substrate, and avoidance of the negative aquascape. Especially for new displays. Lack of surface area for the biological filter is bad. Again, in my opinion.

Also a few here have builds using TBS or KP rock. In fact I think @d2mini has one recently that uses TBS rock. He is a very good photographer so you will see some details in size.

All the best to you.

Top Shelf Aquatics

d2mini

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with Tampa Bay or KP. Real reef rock is not live rock so I would opt for one of the other two. Oppinions will be all over on this topic. Live with hitchhikers or dead sterile and a year or more of uglies and frustration. I started my first tank 8 years ago using real live ocean rock. I'm on my second tank now using dead rock and will not do it again. Live rock rocks!

Edit : my bad I thought real reef rock was dead and now after reading the description it mentions looking like real coraline which leads me to believe it isn't really live rock :thinking-face: . I have only heard of KP and Tampa Bay here on R2R with all positive comments so personally I would opt for one of them as it is real live rock from the ocean
It is dried live rock but often times fish stores sell it wet/from their tanks making it alive again.

Top Shelf Aquatics

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the look and shapes of Real Reef Rock. It’s eco-friendly, more affordable, and doesn’t have any nuisances. Shipping from Tampa Bay Saltwater is around $80 but it depends on your location.

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascaping is more difficult with live wet rock but that's the only downside. Pests are more fun to deal with than the ugly stages almost all dry starts go through.

I've done both, and I ever do it again it will be with premium ocean live rock, the amount of life you get is insane. The near instant system start is a huge plus.

I got my rock through gulf live rock, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again or TBS or Kpaqutics.

The weather and time of year has suppressed their collecting abilities at the moment. You may have to wait a bit to get your shipment.

My advice is to place the rock in your running system before sand is added. Watch it and learn about the hitchhikers. Think about how you want your rocks to be for a few days or weeks and start scaping.

Once you have your rocks where you want them, turn off the pumps and add sand slowly by a cup or large plastic bowel, like a well washed sour cream or yogurt container. Lowering into the water to avoid stirring it up much. Some people pour it down a PVC pipe and such but that seems to stir it up more for me.

Also big bonus! You might get some corals on your Premium live rock! And clams, bivalves, starfish, crabs, all kinds of great stuff!!

Top Shelf Aquatics

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with KP. i read they use ancient reef rock that was escavated from florida. tbs uses concrete, a lot denser than kp.
We respect fellow rock farmer Philipp of KP, a great guy and product!

But the concrete comment isn’t fair.
The TBS farm has various types of rock: vintage rock planted over 30yrs ago (million lbs just of Bahamian coral stone, then there’s Florida quarried, Trinidad rock, Philippine rock, etc.) and we planted 75,000lbs hand made Walt Smith rock in various shapes (honeycomb, branch, caves, arches, slab) 2 yrs ago.
The Walt Smith rock is some of the most beautiful on the farm due to the proprietary blend of Fijian beach sand, coral skeletons and other natural ingredients. Actually so beautiful, we don’t want to harvest it.

Last edited:

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The TBS farm has various types of rock: vintage rock planted over 30yrs ago (million lbs just of Bahamian coral stone, then there’s Florida quarried, Trinidad rock, Philippine rock, etc.) and we planted 75,000lbs hand made Walt Smith rock in various shapes (honeycomb, branch, caves, arches, slab) 2 yrs ago.
The Walt Smith rock is some of the most beautiful on the farm due to the proprietary blend of Fijian beach sand, coral skeletons and other natural ingredients. Actually so beautiful, we don’t want to harvest it.
(Sorry to thread hijack) I’m actually looking to order in about 80~ pounds of live rock and 80 pounds of sand here in June. Out of curiosity - what would I be looking at weight wise with all of the water included for the live rocks? I’m trying to get a rough estimate of airline pickup fees so I know exactly how much money I need to save. I’m really looking forward to adding diversity to my tanks !!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Sorry to thread hijack) I’m actually looking to order in about 80~ pounds of live rock and 80 pounds of sand here in June. Out of curiosity - what would I be looking at weight wise with all of the water included for the live rocks? I’m trying to get a rough estimate of airline pickup fees so I know exactly how much money I need to save. I’m really looking forward to adding diversity to my tanks !!
pm sent

Top Shelf Aquatics

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my JBJ 28 gal nano. I was on the fence on this very topic. Out of lack of patience I opted with my Local Fish Store. Real reef rock not aquaculture. And reel live sand. Then I used Brightwells MicroBacter xlm. My tank cycled in 4 days. I regret not using Tampa Bay. The startup package they offered me was 100.00 cheaper than my LFS less the shipping. The kicker is. Tampa Bay was going to give me DOUBLE the live rock. I would have 54 lbs Instead I got 28 lbs from my LFS. The only problem is the hitchhikers. I would have bought tubs and put it in them for a couple days until I could examine every piece under magnification to insure no worms.
I highly recommend Tampa Bay !!!! From what I read they ship you the base rock and sand 1st then a week later you get the balance of their Premium rock and a clean up crew. The difference is amazing. Go TBS

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup my JBJ 28 gal nano. I was on the fence on this very topic. Out of lack of patience I opted with my Local Fish Store. Real reef rock not aquaculture. And reel live sand. Then I used Brightwells MicroBacter xlm. My tank cycled in 4 days. I regret not using Tampa Bay. The startup package they offered me was 100.00 cheaper than my LFS less the shipping. The kicker is. Tampa Bay was going to give me DOUBLE the live rock. I would have 54 lbs Instead I got 28 lbs from my LFS. The only problem is the hitchhikers. I would have bought tubs and put it in them for a couple days until I could examine every piece under magnification to insure no worms.
I highly recommend Tampa Bay !!!! From what I read they ship you the base rock and sand 1st then a week later you get the balance of their Premium rock and a clean up crew. The difference is amazing. Go TBS
BAFDB6DE-5E3F-4F09-B54E-505674C10A97.jpeg
C0C68D70-6FF0-4C6E-9284-2BBE27D1EAC8.jpeg

FC630B9B-B70A-4D64-A2E9-C6E1B1A25620.jpeg

AS

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That rock he got in the beginning from Fijian is amazing. I love everything about TBS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back