Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting my first tank in a few weeks and I am torn between Tampa Bay Saltwater base live rock, kp aquatics starter rock, and something like real reef rock. Can someone give me some pointers, pros, cons, etc. I am going to start with fish but eventually I want to add coral. Any help would be appreciated. Links below for clarification.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with Tampa Bay or KP. Real reef rock is not live rock so I would opt for one of the other two. Oppinions will be all over on this topic. Live with hitchhikers or dead sterile and a year or more of uglies and frustration. I started my first tank 8 years ago using real live ocean rock. I'm on my second tank now using dead rock and will not do it again. Live rock rocks!

Edit : my bad I thought real reef rock was dead and now after reading the description it mentions looking like real coraline which leads me to believe it isn't really live rock :thinking-face: . I have only heard of KP and Tampa Bay here on R2R with all positive comments so personally I would opt for one of them as it is real live rock from the ocean

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am starting my first tank in a few weeks and I am torn between Tampa Bay Saltwater base live rock, kp aquatics starter rock, and something like real reef rock. Can someone give me some pointers, pros, cons, etc. I am going to start with fish but eventually I want to add coral. Any help would be appreciated. Links below for clarification.

this is a toss-up as they are both good.
If i had to buy more- It would be Tampa Bay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
DadHeller

DadHeller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with Tampa Bay or KP. Real reef rock is not live rock so I would opt for one of the other two. Oppinions will be all over on this topic. Live with hitchhikers or dead sterile and a year or more of uglies and frustration. I started my first tank 8 years ago using real live ocean rock. I'm on my second tank now using dead rock and will not do it again. Live rock rocks!

Edit : my bad I thought real reef rock was dead and now after reading the description it mentions looking like real coraline which leads me to believe it isn't really live rock :thinking-face: . I have only heard of KP and Tampa Bay here on R2R with all positive comments so personally I would opt for one of them as it is real live rock from the ocean
Yeah that's the one that they used in the 5 minute beginners series from BRS

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also order from gulfliverocks. They pull from a similar site that tbs pulls from and you can get it shipped ground which works well if you are cycling a new tank. Much cheaper. I’ve ordered 2 times and was happy with both orders. My latest went straight into my existing display with very little die off.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
DadHeller

DadHeller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also order from gulfliverocks. They pull from a similar site that tbs pulls from and you can get it shipped ground which works well if you are cycling a new tank. Much cheaper. I’ve ordered 2 times and was happy with both orders. My latest went straight into my existing display with very little die off.
I have tried them several times and they are always sold out. I emailed them about what I was looking for and never heard back.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried them several times and they are always sold out. I emailed them about what I was looking for and never heard back.
I think they just run the premium deco. It took him a few days to get back to me as well. I ordered the nano special both times and this time he asked if bigger was ok and I said sure so I got 3 big rocks. Box before that was 6-7 pieces. You can’t go wrong with kp or tbs tho. I would get the nice rock over the base tho if you can.

OP
OP
DadHeller

DadHeller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just run the premium deco. It took him a few days to get back to me as well. I ordered the nano special both times and this time he asked if bigger was ok and I said sure so I got 3 big rocks. Box before that was 6-7 pieces. You can’t go wrong with kp or tbs tho. I would get the nice rock over the base tho if you can.
Ok . I'll sound like a 2 yr old again, why? Wouldn't I want less variants that a premium rock brings while I start the tank out?

Nutramar Foods

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok . I'll sound like a 2 yr old again, why? Wouldn't I want less variants that a premium rock brings while I start the tank out?
if you set up your tank day one full of any of the premium rock shipped in water overnight you will see minimal die off. Wait a week to see how things go and if good go buy your first fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay Saltwater for the win! This is a 7 month old tank. Check my build thread for details about hitchers.

IMG_5505.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe a bit more info to help guide you. Budget? Are you using all live rock, submerged during shipping, overnight, and their associated sand (package)? Are you splitting? And above all besides your budget what is your end goal? Size of display would also help.

I'm going to ignore best, better, and supplier and focus on your question on pro, con. In no order some pros:

Fully submerged
Can be over night
Little to less die off (fully submerged)
Aged rock, oceanic
Macro algae, sponges
Possible good hitch hikers
Biological filter established

Some cons:
Cost
Bad hitch hikers
Can't visualize rock size but there is an estimate

TBS and KP if you call them or email will give you an estimate on shipping. I've used KP and had it on my door under 24 hours and I live in Cali. I noted above the dreaded B word, budget. Most of it will go to shipping depending on the size of your display and quantity. However in my experience it was worth it although being honest it was 25 lbs...

Also most hitch hikers can be mitigated or managed by using transfer buckets or holding tanks. Also plenty of traps online DIY that show how to do it. In the KP shipment I received 2 decorator crabs (refugium), 7 red mitrax (display), and 2 unknown / gorilla (went into the overflow box living life today still).

TL; DR - think about what you want, your goal, and budget. Email both TBS and KP. See how it could work going all, or partial, etc.

OP
OP
DadHeller

DadHeller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly open on budget. I would like to be able to aquascape it but not sure how much I will be able to do with live wet rock.

I will have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump to start with. After I get a bit established and I'm not TERRIBLE at this, then the 40 gallon will become the breeder, 20 will be a quarantine and I'll buy a bigger tank. Maybe something around the 130 range. Depends on how things roll.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back