Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I wait before trying to add something that will help detoxify?
There is no such product. Add bottled bacteria if you don't think the existing biofilter is sufficient.

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a quick read through some posts seem to agree that Prime doesn’t actually work. I’m fine continuing to do water changes, just want to make sure I’m not hurting my live rock with that level of ammonia.

What beneficial bacteria could I add to help? Or should I just wait it out?

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope.
Snake oil.
Thread 'Confirming - Prime does not seem to lower ammonia - Seachem Alert' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...t-seem-to-lower-ammonia-seachem-alert.886779/
It doesn't have to lower ammonia, it just has to convert it into something that doesn't harm livestock. Not surprised it still shows up on test kits. I'm certainly willing to listen here, but if it does actually nothing, why does anyone reputable recommend it?

Beneficial bacteria won't do anything- the rock's full of bacteria already.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm skimming now, but starting from the newer pages, it looks like discussion about testing methods rather than any conclusive "this did not stop the ammonia from harming the fish" test results.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s absolutely no need to over complicate this. Just relax and let your tank do its thing. There is no need to do anything just let the tank sit. Make sure your ATO, heater, skimmer, etc are all dialed in. Plan out your maintenance schedule. Things like that to kill the time. When your nitrates shoot up high THEN do your water changes and you’re rolling. There’s absolutely no need to add anything and absolutely no need to test your bio filter by spiking ammonia to 2ppm either once’s your cycle is complete. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you to do that.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s absolutely no need to over complicate this. Just relax and let your tank do its thing. There is no need to do anything just let the tank sit. Make sure your ATO, heater, skimmer, etc are all dialed in. Plan out your maintenance schedule. Things like that to kill the time. When your nitrates shoot up high THEN do your water changes and you’re rolling. There’s absolutely no need to add anything and absolutely no need to test your bio filter by spiking ammonia to 2ppm either once’s your cycle is complete. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you to do that.
I'd argue that trying to keep ammonia down is a good idea with live rock, to spare the organisms on it the stress and potential harm. No need to add anything, absolutely, but there is a potential need to remove something.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm skimming now, but starting from the newer pages, it looks like discussion about testing methods rather than any conclusive "this did not stop the ammonia from harming the fish" test results.
How do you determine if, or how much, a fish was harmed by being exposed to high ammonia levels?

This is my last post on the topic here as the OP has already moved on ;)

CLICK TO VIEW

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you determine if, or how much, a fish was harmed by being exposed to high ammonia levels?
Surely someone, somewhere, has tested this product in some way.

Are there /any/ ammonia detoxifiers that work, then? I know there's a few others running around, Amquel and the like.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely someone, somewhere, has tested this product in some way.

Are there /any/ ammonia detoxifiers that work, then? I know there's a few others running around, Amquel and the like.
Again, I'm not going to regurgitate what others have already posted in the links.

Several of our resident scientists DID test it and it failed.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue that trying to keep ammonia down is a good idea with live rock, to spare the organisms on it the stress and potential harm. No need to add anything, absolutely, but there is a potential need to remove something.
Fair. Agreed

but I wouldn’t stress or be pouring stuff in for sure

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pinocchio , if you want, you can take each piece of rock out and scrub off any dead algae/blast off any detritus (in old tank water) to try to reduce the organics that may be causing the continued decay/ammonia. This, in conjunction with a large-ish water change might help get things on track.

Also be sure to remove any dead critters ASAP...

I'm curious as to why you're not registering nitrates yet though... with the ammonia levels you mentioned, it seems like you'd also be reading some relatively high nitrates by now.

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges, especially the sponges. Take a rock out and smell it, especially the sponges. They smell terrible when they die.

I removed several, some people will remove them as soon as they get the rocks. There's a chance they will make it but a lot of them die.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back