New Corals, No Idea Where To Put Them: Rack, Rock, or Sand Bed?

Where do you put new corals? (Tell us which way works best for you in the comments!)

• I put them on a frag rack for a little while.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I put them on the sand bed until I figure out a better location.

Votes: 78 37.3%
  • They go straight to the rock.

Votes: 54 25.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that feeling you get when you feel that first chilly breeze in the air on a fall morning? Or waking up with your family on Christmas morning? Or whatever it is that gives you that warm, calm feeling in your stomach?...Yeah, well, that's how I feel when I open my front door and see a soggy box that says, "RUSH! LIVE! PERISHABLE!" Once I start unboxing my new salty goods, I think, "Where in the world are these supposed to go??" Whenever you've just got some goodies in the mail or from your LFS ---

Where do you put your new corals? Rack, rock, or sand bed?

Here is me trying to figure out what to do with new coral:

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other but that's not quite right. Once my tank's rockwork has no more space for corals I will be done adding corals. Then I'll just watch them grow. :)

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually pop them in the sand bed until I figure out where I want them to be permanently, my twin spot finally stopped burying my sandy corals! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "goes straight to rockwork" because I know well in advance when I am getting something. THerefore I spend some time figuring out the "perfect spot" for it based on the things we know about a given animal. IE- flow, light, and vicinity to other animals, as requirements. That way, once I receive it, I already know where to put it. I realize this situation doesn't work for a lot of people, but it is an advantage I have. Otherwise, I would most likely just put it in the sand until I figured things out.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I selected other - because it's yes to all of the above! It all depends on the coral. Some go on the sand bed because that's where they'll live. Some go on racks because I want to figure out where they're going to go eventually. Some go on the rocks because I bought them for a specific location.

SueAubu

There's always room on the sand!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally know where everything is going when I order it but I still pop it on a frag rack for at least a few days to observe before putting into a permanent-ish spot
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I'm impressed!!!!

Me: I think I'll check out R2R for some advice.... Oh LOOOOOOOOK __________ is having a live sale! OOOOOOOHHHHHH that's pretty and I've been meaning to get one of those!

3 hours... $5,000,000.... day before delivery day....

Me: Rut Roh... ummm.... babe? where are the zip ties? Need to make a frag tray!

Cobbles together a second layer to the sand

Me: At'll do, donkey. At'll do.

SueAubu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is me trying to figure out what to do with new coral:

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I TRY to follow Tidal Garden's acclimation advice to the letter.... HA! I do my best.

I WAS starting with the sandbed but then rescued a tank that had a leopard wrasse in it and everything in my sand bed explodes every night as he settles in... so now (the permanent sand dwellers have stands) I add a layer to the sand with a "temporary" rack- so I voted rack, because its been that way since May.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All 3 of my wrasses sleep at the back of the tank in the sand. It's all my frag flipping Hermits knocking them off the rocks that get mine.

SueAubu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of my wrasses sleep at the back of the tank in the sand. It's all my frag flipping Hermits knocking them off the rocks that get mine.
Lol that's the other tank. I put all the big boys in the ugly stage tank for the hair algae.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back