Metal Halide Light Fixture Failed. Probably a Ballast Issue. Looking for some advice!

Ecotech Marine

zimmertr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this light fixture running on my tank for a few months now and a few days ago I went downstairs to check on my tank in the morning and the ballast was making a buzzing noise like a high voltage power line.

The bulb was still illuminated, though, and there was no flickering or anything. I unplugged it for the day and then the next morning I tried it again and the light will no longer turn on. The 4 T5 bulbs that are also in the fixture still work, just not the metal halide bulb.

The ballast itself has an illuminated toggle switch when it is on which still works.. So I guess the ballast just failed somehow? Or perhaps the bulb burned out? I doubt the bulb died, though, since the color temperature never changed and it is only about 2 and a half months old. (Running 8hrs/day)

Would it be an easy repair to fix this ballast? If not, what options do I have for replacing this ballast? I'm not really sure what to look for. < $60 would be nice. I understand if that cannot be achieved, though.

AquaCave Logo Banner

BeardedReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time when a ballast goes it burns up, which in turns mean parts and pieces on the board inside the ballast have burnt and melted causing failure. If you have a multimeter check for voltage at the light socket, if voltage is there you need a new bulb.

bct15

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 hours a day is a lot of mh, the bulb could have burnt out or the ballast is finished. Like previously stated, check voltage at the bulb socket.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back