*** LRO CORAL MAYHEM LIVE SALE!!!! GIVEAWAYS!! FREEBIES!!! $1, $5, and $10 CORAL!!***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a little giveaway!!

Tell me how you first got into the hobby. Was it from watching a show? A distant relative had a saltwater tank? I would love to know!!

I will pick a winner at 3pm est to win a $40 gift card!
In short, it sounded like a good idea at the time, at the time...

long version, I had numerous freshwater tanks, mostly planted (thanks youstubes algorithm for thinking I needed to see foo the flowerhorn). I had a moderately successful high tech planted tank and was looking for the next challenge. Tinkerers gotta tinker. So I did what any other irrational person would do and started 2 consecutive saltwater tanks, a 15-gallon cube and a 40-gallon breeder. I won an xr15 from another Florida based fish and coral store WWC and that was the beginning of the end for me.

Firemanceej

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tell me how you first got into the hobby. Was it from watching a show? A distant relative had a saltwater tank? I would love to know!!

I few years ago when I moved out on my own, 2 weeks before covid shut everything down, I was looking for a hobby to pass the time. I first started with a freshwater tank and had a ton of success but was researching about saltwater for 2 years before I finally decided to bite the bullet. I am 5 months into the hobby and I am hooked for life.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I volunteered at a large aquarium here in VA when I was in high school. They had a program where minors as young as 14 could volunteer doing certain things, so I was there from 14-18 mostly giving short programs to kiddos. When I went away to college and majored in marine biology, part of being an upperclassman in our program was taking care of the lab tanks, so instead of teaching others about urchins, whelks, sea robins, etc; I was now mixing Instant Ocean and measuring parameters and trying to keep Max the 3rd (and 4th and 5th) in his tank. (octopus)

Fresh out of college I didn't keep any tanks, but after we got married and finished moving around with the military, I knew it was time to start my own tank. What started as one FW tank to "get back into it" quickly evolved into multiple tanks and iterations over the years. Today we have 4 SW tanks and 1 fresh.

s1oliver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I walked into a pet store one day when I was around 18 that carried saltwater fish and it was the first time I saw a reef tank in person. I was completely blown away, I stared at it for an hour I bet. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to start up a tank and didn't really have room for one either. Fast forward 15 years and my wife's grandmother had a 75 gallon tank she wasn't using that she said I could have. I jumped on it and started up my first saltwater tank and from then on I was hooked. I took a break from the hobby for a while but got back into it about 4 years ago and started keeping corals as well as fish. I now have 3 tanks running and am considering shutting one down to upgrade to a 90 or 125 gallon tank. Now my money exists only in my memories lol

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I walked into a pet store one day when I was around 18 that carried saltwater fish and it was the first time I saw a reef tank in person. I was completely blown away, I stared at it for an hour I bet. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to start up a tank and didn't really have room for one either. Fast forward 15 years and my wife's grandmother had a 75 gallon tank she wasn't using that she said I could have. I jumped on it and started up my first saltwater tank and from then on I was hooked. I took a break from the hobby for a while but got back into it about 4 years ago and started keeping corals as well as fish. I now have 3 tanks running and am considering shutting one down to upgrade to a 90 or 125 gallon tank. Now my money exists only in my memories lol
I have a 90 tall with overflow in the garage... I had a second 125 but...
IMG_20220507_110525959_HDR (1).jpg

jisherwood

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My adventure started about 15 years ago at Christmas. Bought my wife a 20gal tank. Now we have ive the years gone from 20gal to 30 long to 75 gal for about 6 years. Then just before covid converted the 75 to a red sea 650 peninsula reef . Changed up the living with a bistros table with 2 chairs and now we sit and enjoy tank with morning coffee.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back