Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me, is B.S. coming strait from the owners who runs the store, promise to do something and doesn't. someone who spends lots of money on this hobby is going strait to online vendors for this reason. I gave lots of chances to local stores, and they just blew it buy being careless basically

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rich Osman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My “local” fish store is 50 mins away and worth driving every minute! I have been going there for 30 years. I would love if he provided a qt service, but he won’t sell me a fish until he has had it for a period of time, has observed nothing negative and feels it is safe to relocate. So I do a short qt and I never have problems. I always buy everything I can from him because I have never had a fish or coral die on me within a year or more of purchase. These lfs owners can provide valuable advice that is worth a ton. I suggest paying a small premium over internet prices to keep these lfs owners in business. My lfs also will price match, so don’t be shy about asking. Other than qt service, I would also like more coral selection and longer hours of operation.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect them to know the darn salinity of their water! I don't know how many times I have asked and got either I'm not sure or even I don't know. I have a local store that has bubble algae all over the coral. Basically telling me they don't care. The other one is ok but high prices and an hour away. And open at 11am

Rich Osman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect them to know the darn salinity of their water! I don't know how many times I have asked and got either I'm not sure or even I don't know. I have a local store that has bubble algae all over the coral. Basically telling me they don't care. The other one is ok but high prices and an hour away. And open at 11am
I don’t see how they can’t know, and disclose, salinity. Pretty critical.

Corals.com

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how they can’t know, and disclose, salinity. Pretty critical.
It's the untrained employee's, they will go ask, it's the fact they have to find out instead of knowing.

Corals.com

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been pretty lucky, I live near one of the best Aquarium galleries i think ever. The shop always looks amazing... their display tanks are drop dead gorgeous. I also love the fact they separate the gallery from the area where you pickup supplies, fish food, and holding tanks. It keeps the gallery area really clean. Its nice... so nice in fact, some people treat it like a public aquarium rather than an aquarium store (take pix, bring the kids....etc), which speaks volumes. This is the only place i currently buy my corals from.... unless a buddy is trading or something of the like.

View attachment 3126603
(Ill say this embarrassingly) I watcha lot of youtube and watch a lot of content about this hobby. And the best store ive seen just on youtube is Fragbox Coral. They have a ton of inventory and the frag tanks LOOK amazing. IMO its the best looking store on Youtube (minus some big ones in S Fl.)

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-tears-of-joy: You’re right, most livestock come from pretty much a handful of places. For example, my local stores (TSA and WWC) both get a lot of fish from Quality Marine. And interestingly, so does Petco haha.

I knew a manager at a somewhat local Petco, and every once in a while I’d be able to show up and take home a fish that was still in the bag from quality marine (without ever touching their system, the only way I’d buy from them).

I’ve never bought fish online, but have been tempted. Which online vendors have you had success with or would you recommend?
But the one of those shops you listed charge 3x as much for there fish.

lynn.reef.nerd

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
(Ill say this embarrassingly) I watcha lot of youtube and watch a lot of content about this hobby. And the best store ive seen just on youtube is Fragbox Coral. They have a ton of inventory and the frag tanks LOOK amazing. IMO its the best looking store on Youtube (minus some big ones in S Fl.)
nothing to be embarass about. I'm sure majority of us are youtube obsessed.

BRS

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the one of those shops you listed charge 3x as much for there fish.

I am not sure which one you’re thinking of, but in my experience I often find the fish cheaper at WWC (in winter park) cheaper than TSA.

Just for example, two recent additions to my tank were a flame tomini tang and a McCoskers flasher. TSA has flame tomini for $150 and McCoskers for $80. WWC down the road had the tomini for $99 and McCoskers for $55. That price difference and the better health of the fish is why I’ve made most of my fish purchases at WWC lately.

Edit: I’m pretty sure WWC now sells fish direct on their website, and I imagine QM is the supplier for a lot of them. I looked at the prices on that site one time and was thinking “woah that’s high.”

robertifly

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly all we have within 60 mi. are the two big box pet stores, enough said. The one 60 mi. out doesn't clean tanks very much so I don't buy livestock there I have to order all livestock online or drive additional 20 mi. to Memphis and don't know where to go there!

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure which one you’re thinking of, but in my experience I often find the fish cheaper at WWC (in winter park) cheaper than TSA.

Just for example, two recent additions to my tank were a flame tomini tang and a McCoskers flasher. TSA has flame tomini for $150 and McCoskers for $80. WWC down the road had the tomini for $99 and McCoskers for $55. That price difference and the better health of the fish is why I’ve made most of my fish purchases at WWC lately.

Edit: I’m pretty sure WWC now sells fish direct on their website, and I imagine QM is the supplier for a lot of them. I looked at the prices on that site one time and was thinking “woah that’s high.”
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Top Shelf Aquatics

Clownreef

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an absurd lack of knowledge. I mean, absolutely abysmal.

There have been multiple times when I’m just browsing and I hear the staff give the dumbest advice you could possibly imagine just to make a sale.

The only thing I buy locally is food. I don’t buy fish or equipment, let alone coral.

blah blah small biz, mom and pop…

im not going to support anyone that gives the worst advice just because they’re a small business.

Aside from a less that desirable amount of knowledge and husbandry… terrible customer service and very expensive fish with zero quarantine protocols.

I walk in, get the food, and I leave.

JCATL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have four within 15 miles of us. Two are less than 3 miles.

The closest is probably the biggest. They have a huge maintenance business and a nice selection of fish and coral. Their corals are overpriced, IMO, but very nice. The biggest problem is dead fish in their tanks. We go there often for supplies, but will never buy fish from them. The wife gets sad going there because she's wants to save them all, but I'm not going to risk it. I wish they'd QT their fish or do a better job of keeping the dead/dying fish out of the main displays.

Bertian84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We (better half and I) only have one store close enough that it is economical to go to when we want to look and see what they have available. It's a nice store but small. They have saltwater and fresh. On top of that they have reptiles too.

They are the only store within 50 miles of us and I've thought and talked to my better half about opening our own store but I don't consider us to be that knowledgeable right now to take a plunge like that. I do know that I would spare no expense to do it right. Nice clean and large establishment that others would want to emulate..........hmm am I selling myself on this now lol. My only issue would be trying to get in touch with wholesalers.

Well that's all the time I have right now to dream. Back to work I go.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three that I'd say are worth the trip, all inside an hour's drive.

the first two I'm on a first name basis with the owners... and it's like visiting an old friend.

The first:
-Uncle Neds Fish Factory- i would say is the best on the east coast. only freshwater these days but it's the classic fish store, water and hoses everywhere, rarities and not really any of the run of the mill fish you find at petco/petsmart

Second:
-Tropic Isle aquarium- been open since the late 1960's (moved 2x in the last 5 yrs.) i remember going there with my father in the late 1980's and thinking it was absolutely amazing. they carry both SW and freshwater and huge selection of equipment. this place holds nostalgia for me but i can't justify buying freshwater there since its the exact selection you can obtain at petco/petsmart and I've grown beyond that in my freshwater space. they do have a great SW fish, invert & frag selection at fair prices

Third:
All things aquatic- New player in the area. More larger SW specimens and well beyond just your basic reef fish and freshwater fish that i go for. they also have huge displays with fish i covet like queen triggers, adult puffers and eels ect.

I'd like to see more unique fish offerings in both fresh and salt and more predatory fish in both settings as well.

One of them puts up special order lists monthly and i greatly appreciate that, the other list their current stock list online (albeit without prices) but its a nice feature.

I wish they both had longer hours on the weekends. I have a very tight schedule and cannot make it to any store on any day other than sundays.

Rp8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1. Lack of friendliness or customer service.

In todays world I can get anything delivered, so if I take the time to go in to my local fish store and do a little fish talk, I’d rather not get the impression that I am bother/pestering or dumb per say.

#2. Cleanliness/husbandry/organization
Having your stuff together is the first impression.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Neptune
Back