+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Some of us have several choices while one of us have one main store.

What do you wish your LFS could/would do differently?

For me, I wish they would get sizable fish rather than all the tiny ones I see and have specials like they used to. Rarely anything is on sale, but rather climbing in price.
Also with an hour's drive, I call at times to see if something is in stock and phone is constantly busy. When you get there, owner is on the phone with wife.

My #1 issue with LFS - One that post NO prices, but rather you have to ask

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

lynn.reef.nerd

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cleanliness and quality corals.

The owner has the building for at least 60 years and full of mold. You can smell it walking in.
Fish shows signs of ick.
Corals are imported with majority looking like they are on the way out.

Prices are high because of the cost of upkeep and high mortality (lack of care).
Stores generally mark-up prices around 2x the cost buying but this one normal is 3x but they also kill half of them before it sells. (GSP $30)

I think in general, the owners are older and they aren't as motivated anymore. Maybe new blood might make a difference.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed over the last year how small the fish have gotten. Pretty much every tang I've seen is 1.5 inches or so. Yet they are priced as if they're 3-4 inches. Cheaper from the supplier with higher margins but much higher mortality rates. Yet another reason to keep shopping online. It's honestly a waste of time to go anymore.

AquaCave Logo Banner

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presentation

If a person is entering the reef keeping hobby, seeing a clean and organized store with well managed tanks will instill a passion and give the impression of what should be a standard.

if that same new reefer gets all their information and livestock from a dirty, algae infested, and chaotic store I believe that will likely lead to a lack of husbandry and an acceptance of a low quality reef.

As I have advanced over the past 12 years I have reflected on my influences in reef keeping. There was a pivot back in 2016 when I was out of state and visited a top notch store. That reframed my perspective and husbandry. It has turned me off of my local store for livestock. I still support them in other ways.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've noticed over the last year how small the fish have gotten. Pretty much every tang I've seen is 1.5 inches or so. Yet they are priced as if they're 3-4 inches. Cheaper from the supplier with higher margins but much higher mortality rates. Yet another reason to keep shopping online. It's honestly a waste of time to go anymore.
This is exactly what I see

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a saltwater store 1 hr away but closed down . So now my nearest is 2 hrs away they have nice fish and corals but a bit pricey. Thinking of just ordering on line but worry about the delivery company’s not messing it up

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wish they were open earlier in the mornings for me I rarely have time in the afternoons.
I see that- they are open in most cases 10am and close at 6-7p. Thats literally 8 hours. My LFS opened 9a-9p daily and weekend Sat 9-7 and Sunday 9-6

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply of fish on wholesalers and not necessary that store. Busy phone puts customers off. Not having enough staff puts customers off. Not having enough variety puts customers off. Not having enough dry goods puts customers off.

Can’t blame them on rising prices. Their vendors control most of that and shops know we shop around therefore if they overprice then we buy ride where because that really puts us off although I’ll pay more when quality provided because the shop knows what it’s didn’t vs just flipping fish before they die. Why that owner talking to his wife might still be in business. He’s stuff doesn’t die and worth the hassle of not getting out off

Avast
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Presentation

If a person is entering the reef keeping hobby, seeing a clean and organized store with well managed tanks will instill a passion and give the impression of what should be a standard.

if that same new reefer gets all their information and livestock from a dirty, algae infested, and chaotic store I believe that will likely lead to a lack of husbandry and an acceptance of a low quality reef.

As I have advanced over the past 12 years I have reflected on my influences in reef keeping. There was a pivot back in 2016 when I was out of state and visited a top notch store. That reframed my perspective and husbandry. It has turned me off of my local store for livestock. I still support them in other ways.
First impressions are most important. How many times have we entered a store that was greeted by clutter, wet floors, salt creep on the tanks and prices written with a marker that was faded by water?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Supply of fish on wholesalers and not necessary that store. Busy phone puts customers off. Not having enough staff puts customers off. Not having enough variety puts customers off. Not having enough dry goods puts customers off.

Can’t blame them on rising prices. Their vendors control most of that and shops know we shop around therefore if they overprice then we buy ride where because that really puts us off although I’ll pay more when quality provided because the shop knows what it’s didn’t vs just flipping fish before they die. Why that owner talking to his wife might still be in business. He’s stuff doesn’t die and worth the hassle of not getting out off
At my LFS, we had two lines with cordless phones. I often told the staff - Answer phone by the third ring. If we dont answer the call- SOMEONE ELSE WILL (another store).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS, we had two lines with cordless phones. I often told the staff - Answer phone by the third ring. If we dont answer the call- SOMEONE ELSE WILL (another store).
Exactly. Customer care most important when online often the shortest path to getting what’s needed.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First impressions are most important. How many times have we entered a store that was greeted by clutter, wet floors, salt creep on the tanks and prices written with a marker that was faded by water?
My favorite is the constant gurgling and bubbles due to the water level NEVER being appropriate.

If someone has no impression of reefing and they have this experience, this is now their baseline. It gives people this idea that they can add rock and water to a tank and have a reef. Then they yell and throw their hands up because they can’t keep livestock more than a week

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's the thing though. When I can get exactly what I need and want and get free shipping and no tax have it 2-3 days and save $20 on gas round trip what's the incentive to go to my lfs? Most of the time they never have the dry goods I need. I have a RS diamond dealer who literally never has anything on the shelf not even dosing products. I own a small business myself but as I like to say I'm trying to pay for my vacation not someone else's when it comes to buying supplies. This is a crazy expensive hobby when you get into large tanks. I have 2 and when I can save a little I'll take that.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite lfs is salt water only and is about an hour away. It's private owned and has a single employee that pretty much runs the store most of the time. He gets some pretty decent stuff in and has a good selection of dry goods as well. Owner is very accommodating and will order fish and let me pick them up still in the bag so they only have to be acclimated once. Emails are responded to in a timely manner and the phone is ussualy answered promptly. I try to buy as much as I can there rather than online. If we don't support our local businesses they will cease to exist. There are 3 other stores about the same distance away. One livestock is over priced. Another is decent but I don't really care for the owner. The last keeps fish at 1.015 because it help prevent disease but IMO it hides disease untill the fish are brought into 1.025 so I don't buy fish there.

RZGreef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my LFS would post both the price, as well the name of every coral. With prices, I could quickly narrow in on the ones that were within my budget. With the name, I could quickly look up care requirements for them online with my phone. Sure, the LFS owners are great and will answer questions when asked, but there are always other customers and I prefer the range of information I can find quickly online.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo many places have what i call weird fish guy hours. Like theyll be closed random days during week and only open like 12-4 or 5. Makes it really hard for me to go sometimes. Besides that my lfs are really high quality. I also feel like a lot of places try to do too much and something always suffer. The best places do something really well and specialize in it. Placwles that try to do everything usually dont do any of it very well.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing though. When I can get exactly what I need and want and get free shipping and no tax have it 2-3 days and save $20 on gas round trip what's the incentive to go to my lfs? Most of the time they never have the dry goods I need. I have a RS diamond dealer who literally never has anything on the shelf not even dosing products. I own a small business myself but as I like to say I'm trying to pay for my vacation not someone else's when it comes to buying supplies. This is a crazy expensive hobby when you get into large tanks. I have 2 and when I can save a little I'll take that.
My visits to any LFS strictky for livestock and while there any dry goods needed. Not a fan of buying living online. How kept more important than time and money saved plus never know what I wasn’t seeking shows up and I must get. Latter the main reason I’m glad LFS exist and why I try supporting them. Once gone our choices for that specific experience will go with them. Not everything can be sought online and especially when lights and photoshop might not be how it shows up at your front door.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back