Legendary Corals - Eye Candy Thread + Discussion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “need” some of those JA’s Fairy Tails, y’all had a few weeks ago.... any idea when more will be available? @Legendary Corals
0B8CBA6A-DDF3-4B1A-A6D8-CD8544E7EAE6.jpeg

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little bit of corals. Just acquired a scoly, I like chalice especially the jellybean one. But someday. Favias, looking at the Lemon lime favia. Blastomusa but not just any. Acros with vibrant coloration. Looking into Dragon Soul torch but I haven’t found the right one yet. Sooo many but yet I still feel sooo lonely! Haha!

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little bit of corals. Just acquired a scoly, I like chalice especially the jellybean one. But someday. Favias, looking at the Lemon lime favia. Blastomusa but not just any. Acros with vibrant coloration. Looking into Dragon Soul torch but I haven’t found the right one yet. Sooo many but yet I still feel sooo lonely! Haha!
Very nice, scolys are fun corals to keep! They are such pigs when it comes to feeding. The Lemon Lime Favites is a great one. Relatively easy to keep but it's usually a burgundy color once it grows out. It also goes by Gonzo's Spicy Lemon! Here you can see the bright red as the growth color.
1596064345263.png
1596064416686.png

If you pick up a Blastomussa, get both a Wellsi and a Merletti! Wellsis have such big beautiful polyps, but they're incredibly slow growers. The Merlettis are smaller in polyp size but grow a lot faster, so it's fun to watch them multiply.

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is epic glad I ran across it!
View attachment 1705639

Can we see it now? Babies?

On Edit my bad man all I had to do is go back a page! It had me sprung on first pic lol!
Ah yes, Andre's Ultimate Jawbreaker. Definitely the coolest shroom in my opinion! Here's a colony photo in Andre's home aquarium. He keeps them all in a 40 gallon under Gen 2 Radions.
1596064679860.png

The color potential on Andre's Ultimate Jawbreakers is limitless. It throws usually throws off green as its first color instead of red. Here's a tiny 1/2" baby, and it has a better pattern than most normal Jawbreakers do after years of growing.
1596064780080.png

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, Andre's Ultimate Jawbreaker. Definitely the coolest shroom in my opinion! Here's a colony photo in Andre's home aquarium. He keeps them all in a 40 gallon under Gen 2 Radions.
View attachment 1705664

The color potential on Andre's Ultimate Jawbreakers is limitless. It throws usually throws off green as its first color instead of red. Here's a tiny 1/2" baby, and it has a better pattern than most normal Jawbreakers do after years of growing.
View attachment 1705666
Very nice man. Is there any lineage on Andre's JB? I have a Poletti lineage that's just solid green with red marbling but no JB reddish orange coloring like yours is mixed with! Fine specimen man. I'm going to need that for the collection!

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, scolys are fun corals to keep! They are such pigs when it comes to feeding. The Lemon Lime Favites is a great one. Relatively easy to keep but it's usually a burgundy color once it grows out. It also goes by Gonzo's Spicy Lemon! Here you can see the bright red as the growth color.
View attachment 1705643View attachment 1705652

If you pick up a Blastomussa, get both a Wellsi and a Merletti! Wellsis have such big beautiful polyps, but they're incredibly slow growers. The Merlettis are smaller in polyp size but grow a lot faster, so it's fun to watch them multiply.
Those are vibrant in color! Very nice looking! Here are a few more I captured that intrigued my eyes!

C157647A-0331-40F7-AB3E-5FEB082E7851.jpeg 0344CDA9-9A2E-4304-9C75-6AFC60613AA3.jpeg FFF66F6C-1B6F-4278-B100-5FEB0CC5910C.jpeg AD0D4831-7AA0-402A-BC99-74398925067C.jpeg C03103B4-6842-4F89-8E7F-4C8172EF197F.jpeg 6D781369-8093-4760-A5B8-6400E1E44D75.jpeg EFBB7C36-3324-47E8-9E8D-D4C53D98D89E.jpeg

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice man. Is there any lineage on Andre's JB? I have a Poletti lineage that's just solid green with red marbling but no JB reddish orange coloring like yours is mixed with! Fine specimen man. I'm going to need that for the collection!
The lineage is to Andre, who the mushroom is named after. He had a baby with some green slivers he purchased like 5+ years ago from a local fish store. When I first met him, he showed me his mother and it was a Jawbreaker with insane amount of green and purple splashes. At first I thought it was just a very mature Jawbreaker that happened to get lucky with the pattern development. Fast forward a few years more, and he shows me that all of the Jawbreakers come out that way. It ended up to be a different strain than the original Poletti Jawbreaker. What's great about the Andre's is that it's proven itself to be a consistent strain, producing lots of offspring with the trademark green coloration.

However, it is much more sensitive than regular Jawbreakers. I have most of my customers report that it doesn't transition well to new homes and it takes a few months for it to get used to its new environment. Unfortunately , some reefers have ended up losing theirs as well. I'd only recommend the Andre's Ultimate Jawbreaker to those who have lots of experience with high end mushrooms and are willing to give it the attention it needs to transition such as adjusting light and flow levels as needed, having a mushroom box on hand, etc.

But if it likes your tank, you'll be rewarded with one of the best corals in the hobby.
1596072440935.png

1596072456507.png

1596072468952.png

1596072479520.png

LRT

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lineage is to Andre, who the mushroom is named after. He had a baby with some green slivers he purchased like 5+ years ago from a local fish store. When I first met him, he showed me his mother and it was a Jawbreaker with insane amount of green and purple splashes. At first I thought it was just a very mature Jawbreaker that happened to get lucky with the pattern development. Fast forward a few years more, and he shows me that all of the Jawbreakers come out that way. It ended up to be a different strain than the original Poletti Jawbreaker. What's great about the Andre's is that it's proven itself to be a consistent strain, producing lots of offspring with the trademark green coloration.

However, it is much more sensitive than regular Jawbreakers. I have most of my customers report that it doesn't transition well to new homes and it takes a few months for it to get used to its new environment. Unfortunately , some reefers have ended up losing theirs as well. I'd only recommend the Andre's Ultimate Jawbreaker to those who have lots of experience with high end mushrooms and are willing to give it the attention it needs to transition such as adjusting light and flow levels as needed, having a mushroom box on hand, etc.

But if it likes your tank, you'll be rewarded with one of the best corals in the hobby.
View attachment 1705963
View attachment 1705964
View attachment 1705967
View attachment 1705969
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post history and lineage! And the story behind it all!
Probably my most favorite post of all time right now!

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my entry but not my coral, it’s a picture I took though at my lfs of a crazy looking coral still not quite sure what it is. Maybe a mushroom?

View attachment 1302932
What is this one?

32212873257_b388d5ca78_b.jpg
This was a Sherman Bubbletip anemone that I sold awhile ago! Was a big one too. The base was a beautiful dark blue just like the photo.

Your LC Ragnarock chalice is my fav xD already growing like a champ tyvm guys the top red not showing up well with my camera sadface View attachment 1706262
Thanks for sharing the picture! Looks like its loving its new home, the Ragnarok is easily one of my favorite corals in the entire farm. I can't wait for it to pool down and start showing those crazy blue streaks on the rim.

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What camera and lens are you using?
I just added an article on my website regarding the camera equipment I use along with thoughts on what to purchase when diving into coral photography. Hopefully it will help you out. :)

CCauthers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an article on my website regarding the camera equipment I use along with thoughts on what to purchase when diving into coral photography. Hopefully it will help you out. :)
Thanks man, I'm still weighing the darn price of macros against the benefits. They're a bit investment for a student :p

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, I'm still weighing the darn price of macros against the benefits. They're a bit investment for a student :p
I hear you! The macro lens is more so if you wanted to sell corals. I started taking photos of corals when I was a high school student and started off with using Macro Lens Filters that you can screw onto your existing lenses and they also make macro extension tubes. I think you can buy both as kits which offer you different options.

I used something called a Raynox Macro-Clip on a 50mm. It clips onto the inside of your lens and it'll magnify the focus. Worked really well, but the clips that hold it inside of your lens are very fragile and once broken make the entire thing useless. You also can't use it inside of most portholes since it makes the front of the lens a bit wider. But for top down shots with the flow off, it's brilliant.

All of the suggestions I pointed out can be bought on Amazon. I can't suggest exact items since I don't use them anymore and the product will depend on your current camera.

You don't need to spend $500+ on a lens just for macros if it's just for fun. :)

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the clove polyp varieties growing out here in the farm! They're a bit jumbled up since I'm behind on fragging, but it is really cool to see them mixed in together swaying in the currents.

1596573094911.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back