+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful corals!

I just started my tank a week ago and I’m beyond impatient. The progress has been incredible! I hope to accomplish half this in the near future
Thank you both! Sorry I haven't updated the thread in a while. I will try to get new pics soon.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

panic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photos are great too. I used to be in to photography with my old tank but it was easy to shoot because it had halides and plenty bright. I can’t seem to dial it in now that I’m under LED. I see you’re a Canon guy - I have the older 5d and some L series glass for it but have been itching for an upgrade with something with video and a screen that displays during image capture instead of only after. D90 looks like a contender. Which Canon would you upgrade to, o master of the photos?

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photos are great too. I used to be in to photography with my old tank but it was easy to shoot because it had halides and plenty bright. I can’t seem to dial it in now that I’m under LED. I see you’re a Canon guy - I have the older 5d and some L series glass for it but have been itching for an upgrade with something with video and a screen that displays during image capture instead of only after. D90 looks like a contender. Which Canon would you upgrade to, o master of the photos?
I wish I could tell you, however after I purchased my 70D a few years ago I stopped paying attention to what was coming out. I think it mainly depends on your price point though and what features you want (ie video/screen). I’ve heard great things about the 90D, and it’s not terribly spendy. If you already have great glass, I think it would be tough to go wrong with any of the newer models. Just make sure it’s a Canon and not a Nikon :p

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks doing well. Nothing new to report really. Every 3 months or so I have to do some manual bubble algae removal but it's easy to remove and is a much better alternative than going the vibrant route again. Plus it's very satisfying to see it all pulled away. I stopped trying to suck it all up and instead manually grab the bigger clumps and then for the smaller pieces I put foam guards on my powerheads and they catch whatever I don't. Works out really well.

I'm completely out of real estate yet still end up trying to make room for "one more piece". Hopefully it won't look as busy when I move over to 170, whenever that is.

I took a couple of pictures, mostly of my red/pink sticks to show them some love.

BC Nero Table

WWC Heartbreaker

Fishfoo Cigarettes After Sex. I thought the BC Rainbow Brite had some red polyps but this is on a whole different level

BC Bliss. This is the encrustment taking off from where I originally placed the frag and then moved to a different location.

Fishfoo Beauty School

Couple of pics taken while making some frags

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent in my first Triton test for the tank. Things came back good. Surprised how low my PO4 was. Just shows how inaccurate hobby grade tests can be (mine always shows ~.1ppm). I'll probably raise my mag a bit as well.

Attachments

• RSR 525XL - 04_04_2021 (B-oad69w).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising mag slowly-ish to 1350. I purchased some strontium and iodine but haven't got around to dosing yet. I'm thinking I'll just increase my measurements of mag and trace elements for the DIY All-for-reef and that should maintain levels. We'll see

BC Foist Fire

JF Hw

RR USA My Sunshine

BC Hawaii

BC Blue Ghost

BC Bohemia

Avast

Bones06

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Just started following your build thread! Very excited to see what you do with the 170 EXT! I just pre-ordered and don’t know how I going to wait until June. Few questions when you have time :)

Why did you go with the powermodule 48” instead of the 60” (sorry if this was already asked)?

Did you place the rock on the bottom glass? If you did, did you cut it to make it flat?

How do you like the sand? Does it get blown around with all the flow from the MP40s and Octo 4? Do you feel the MP40s are sufficient or do you wish you would have chosen MP60s?

Thank you so much in advanced!

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Just started following your build thread! Very excited to see what you do with the 170 EXT! I just pre-ordered and don’t know how I going to wait until June. Few questions when you have time :)

Why did you go with the powermodule 48” instead of the 60” (sorry if this was already asked)?

Did you place the rock on the bottom glass? If you did, did you cut it to make it flat?

How do you like the sand? Does it get blown around with all the flow from the MP40s and Octo 4? Do you feel the MP40s are sufficient or do you wish you would have chosen MP60s?

Thank you so much in advanced!
Thanks for tagging along!

The 48" powermodule is perfect for this length of tank imo because it provides some less intense lighting on the sides for certain sticks and lps, but not so much where it looks like a dark spot. I originally thought about going with a 60" as well, but am happy with my choice.

Rock was placed on the bottom of glass and I didn't cut them flat but they were fairly flat to begin with and was why I chose them for the base rock.

The sand gets blown around mainly due to the extreme flow of the octo 4 but it's manageable. I just could never keep a reef tank without sand so I make due. MP40's are sufficient but you may want to look into mp60's if you ordered a 170EXT. The width of that tank is going to be the tricky part.

Bones06

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider swapping the octo 4 with a MP40/60 when you upgrade to the 170 EXT? I fear the euro bracing will make the in tank cables super apparent.

Just to clarify, you are saying I should look into the MP60 for the sides because of the length? If I recall correctly, the tank you have is the same length as the 170EXT so, is that something you wish would have done?

Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider swapping the octo 4 with a MP40/60 when you upgrade to the 170 EXT? I fear the euro bracing will make the in tank cables super apparent.

Just to clarify, you are saying I should look into the MP60 for the sides because of the length? If I recall correctly, the tank you have is the same length as the 170EXT so, is that something you wish would have done?
Haven't thought about cables or how/if I'll continue to use the Octo 4. I absolutely love it but as you said the eurobrace could prove difficult. I have another mp40 in storage so may end up using 3 or 4 mp40's for the 170.

Correct, I was talking about the width (front to back) being so wide and how that could prove difficult with just 2 mp40's. The length is the same on both tanks and that wasn't a coincidence as I wanted to keep using the powermodule.

Bones06

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't thought about cables or how/if I'll continue to use the Octo 4. I absolutely love it but as you said the eurobrace could prove difficult. I have another mp40 in storage so may end up using 3 or 4 mp40's for the 170.

Correct, I was talking about the width (front to back) being so wide and how that could prove difficult with just 2 mp40's. The length is the same on both tanks and that wasn't a coincidence as I wanted to keep using the powermodule.
I really like the idea of 4 mp40s though! So many decisions.

I also contacted IM about the tank. The euro bracing is 3 inches on each side so there’s 53 inches exposed, perfect for the 48”.

Where did you find the power module for sale? Everywhere I look it’s sold out. Probably because of your awesome looking tank ;)

In one of your way earlier photos, where you were showing off the plumbing, there’s a black piece of pipe(?) that looks thinner than the standard grey. I am curious, what that is?

Thank you for letting me ask all these questions about your tanks!

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of 4 mp40s though! So many decisions.

I also contacted IM about the tank. The euro bracing is 3 inches on each side so there’s 53 inches exposed, perfect for the 48”.

Where did you find the power module for sale? Everywhere I look it’s sold out. Probably because of your awesome looking tank ;)

In one of your way earlier photos, where you were showing off the plumbing, there’s a black piece of pipe(?) that looks thinner than the standard grey. I am curious, what that is?

Thank you for letting me ask all these questions about your tanks!
They're probably experiencing stocking/manufacturing issues still from covid. I purchased mine almost 3 years ago now so it was a different world then. I also had to order it directly from Germany to get the white one.

The black things you're talking about are most likely my ghl flow sensors

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bones06

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're probably experiencing stocking/manufacturing issues still from covid. I purchased mine almost 3 years ago now so it was a different world then. I also had to order it directly from Germany to get the white one.

The black things you're talking about are most likely my ghl flow sensors
I actually just finished a text chat with ATI. Not sure if it was them or an affiliate but they told me that they discontinued the black version because of paint coating issues. I guess I need to convince the wife of white or silver. Hmm

I really like how you removed the vinyl from the back of your tank. The blue on the white wall enhances the illusion. I wish something could be done similarly with the 170EXT.

theocorals537

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the water mixing station itself, I went with 1” sch 80 pvc pipe and a series of ball valves that would allow me to use one pump for everything. I also left both of the ends open incase I needed to add something down the line, or incase the power goes out and I need water. The storage tanks are 65 gallon vertical tanks. Fortunately a place in St. Louis Park had them so I didn’t have to pay for freight shipping.

This was my first time pvc plumbing as my previous tanks have all been AIO nano’s, so it was a learning experience for sure. Overall it was pretty straightforward once I knew all of the fittings I’d need, however figuring those out took some time. After cutting, fitting, and gluing, it passed the leak test on the first try. Success! for the 50ft. hose I purchased an outdoor hose hanger which helps keep it out of the way when not in use.

Very nice manifold

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to post this small update. About a month ago I needed to seal a leak in my well room, along with cleaning, de-molding, and repainting. The room is right by the tank and I was concerned about the fumes from the paint and even more with the de-molding fumes. I ended up purchasing a clear tarp and sealing off the well room from the rest of the basement. Thankfully it worked (or maybe I was just being overly cautious) and things didn't skip a beat. Here's how it looked during the clean out.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updated macro/colony shots of some of my sticks

BC Backdraft

BC Blue Ghost

BC Hawaii

WWC Heartbreaker

BC Bonfire

BC Bliss (First pic under blues, second under whites)

Fishfoo Creepers at Dusk

Fishfoo Sunny Clouds

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back