Red Sea REEFER 200 G2+ Build

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that approach. That's basically what I'm doing but typically throw a pinch of flake food daily . I use a mix of reef-roids, BRS reef chili, and Reef Blizzard and my Po4 is still undetectable, via salifert. I've been feeding like this since I added my first coral. Oh, I also do about 15ml of live-phyto nightly. Pretty sure 15ml is not enough for our size of tank.
The tanks is still very young, it's a little over two months old but was cycled instantly with the Fritz Turbostart 900 and Polyp Lab Genesis (never got any readable ammonia or nitrite and saw nitrate within a week).

I got the Tropic Marin Amino-Organic. The only issue with it is that it needs a minimum 0.03ppm of phosphate to use, thus why I'm using the Reef-Roids (it's basically my phosphate dosing method hahah).

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that approach. That's basically what I'm doing but typically throw a pinch of flake food daily . I use a mix of reef-roids, BRS reef chili, and Reef Blizzard and my Po4 is still undetectable, via salifert. I've been feeding like this since I added my first coral. Oh, I also do about 15ml of live-phyto nightly. Pretty sure 15ml is not enough for our size of tank.
Yeah those ReefMat are deadly strong. Will be awesome once we're overstocked with fish, not so much at the start. I'm testing with the Phosphate with the ULR Hanna Checker and the Nitrate with the HR Hanna Checker. I would rather do it the "natural" way with feeding, but if I can't keep the nutrients up I might try dosing with NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I'm scared of eventually getting Dinos with such low numbers :anxious-face-with-sweat:.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll do great with the sps. Just be as diligent as you are with water changes and testing, and it will be fine! Definitely good par numbers too. Im excited to get my reefmat, but I do need to get a skimmer to attach my CO2 scrubber to, to get better pH.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Phyto, I've heard that consistency is key instead of volume as long as it is left in the display for long enough! It does work wonders for the microfauna though.

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Phyto, I've heard that consistency is key instead of volume as long as it is left in the display for long enough! It does work wonders for the microfauna though.
You'll see it will get harder to keep in the display with the ReefMat hahah. Within a couple of minutes the return pump turns on the ReefMat will have swallowed it all. How long do you keep the return off when adding Phyto or coral food?

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those ReefMat are deadly strong. Will be awesome once we're overstocked with fish, not so much at the start. I'm testing with the Phosphate with the ULR Hanna Checker and the Nitrate with the HR Hanna Checker. I would rather do it the "natural" way with feeding, but if I can't keep the nutrients up I might try dosing with NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I'm scared of eventually getting Dinos with such low numbers :anxious-face-with-sweat:.
I actually just bought the Hanna Phosphate ULR on BRS :)
Should have added the HR Nitrate to my cart as well... oh well.

I agree about the reefmat. I love it so far, but it does pull a lot of nutrients out. I debated on not using mine until I was a few months in, but I didn't rinse my sand well enough and the reefmat does a great job pulling out that sediment.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll see it will get harder to keep in the display with the ReefMat hahah. Within a couple of minutes the return pump turns on the ReefMat will have swallowed it all. How long do you keep the return off when adding Phyto or coral food?
That's a good point. Haven't thought about the ReefMat pulling out the phyto. Seems like common sense now that I read it lol.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you're suffering from success with the filtration LOL.

I like to leave it for about 15-20 minutes when the lights are shutting down. The corals automatically have their nightly feeding response after lights out. I also like to use polyp booster from polyp lab before I get ready to feed so It ensure's they'll consume something form of nutrients from the food.

I learned that using the nero's feed mode will slowly push the food around and give it enough time for the corals to catch it.

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update for those interested. The tank is getting there. Now just need to let them grow.

I think the Reef-Roids and Amino Organics are finally kicking in, I now have a steady 0.04-0.05ppm of phosphate. The Magnesium is a little low at 1260ppm, currently waiting for the Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium to be delivered. Will slowly climb it to 1400ppm for the LPS.

The Pink birds nest quickly started some RTN. Overnight lost about 30%, was all white with no polyps. I dipped it in "Brightwell aquatics frag recover" and cut off the dead parts. Too early to call it victory, but it's been 72hrs and it still haven't moved up so fingers crossed. I think it didn't had enough flow on this side so I've moved up the second Nero 3.

New fish:
- Royal Gramma

New corals:
- Holy Grail Torch
- Blue Tipped Gold Torch
- Green Stem Hammer
- Electric Rainbow Hammer
- Red Scoly
- Red Streak Green Scoly
- Rainbow Montipora
- Blueberry Vine Acropora
- Garf Bonsai Acropora
- Green Slimer Acropora

Last edited:

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mannnn!!! You're going in!!! A holy grail already? That's good to see everything is doing well. If you want better PE for the torches keep MAG around 1400-1500 like you said. Definitely need more fish though!

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update for those interested. The tank is getting there. Now just need to let them grow.

I think the Reef-Roids and Amino Organics are finally kicking in, I now have a steady 0.04-0.05ppm of phosphate. The Magnesium is a little low at 1260ppm, currently waiting for the Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium to be delivered. Will slowly climb it to 1400ppm for the LPS.

The Pink birds nest quickly started some RTN. Overnight lost about 30%, was all white with no polyps. I dipped it in "Brightwell aquatics frag recover" and cut off the dead parts. Too early to call it victory, but it's been 72hrs and it still haven't moved up so fingers crossed. I think it didn't had enough flow on this side so I've moved up the second Nero 3.

New fish:
- Royal Gramma

New corals:
- Holy Grail Torch
- Blue Tipped Gold Torch
- Green Stem Hammer
- Electric Rainbow Hammer
- Red Scoly
- Red Streak Green Scoly
- Rainbow Montipora
- Blueberry Vine Acropora
- Garf Bonsai Acropora
- Green Slimer Acropora

I love it!

Any idea what the difference between the Aminos you got and AcroPower?

Looking good!

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mannnn!!! You're going in!!! A holy grail already? That's good to see everything is doing well. If you want better PE for the torches keep MAG around 1400-1500 like you said. Definitely need more fish though!
Hahahah yeah man I know!!! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: It was 700$ on sale for 200$ (CAD) so couldn't resist. I have 3 Blue Green Chromis in quarantine for another 2weeks and a Six-Line Wrasse starting Qt next week (40days) so that will help fill up the tank.

I'm blessed with a LFS that Qt all his fish for 40days with meds, he would refuse to sell anything not Qt'd. It's definitely a waiting game since you can't special order a specific fish, but I'm 100% not rushing the fish (even though I'm a bit too trigger happy with corals hahah).

This is my fish set goal:
- 2ea Clownfish (in tank)
- Royal Gramma (in tank)
- 3ea Blue Green Chromis (in Qt)
- Six Line Wrasse (soon in Qt)
- 2ea Bengai Cardinalfish
- Starry Blenny
- Purple Firefish
- Flame Angelfish

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it!

Any idea what the difference between the Aminos you got and AcroPower?

Looking good!
I haven't done a lot of research on the AcroPower, but what got me to get the "Amino Organics" is that it have Nitrogen in it and since I still can't read any Nitrate I think this should help.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahah yeah man I know!!! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: It was 700$ on sale for 200$ (CAD) so couldn't resist. I have 3 Blue Green Chromis in quarantine for another 2weeks and a Six-Line Wrasse starting Qt next week (40days) so that will help fill up the tank.

I'm blessed with a LFS that Qt all his fish for 40days with meds, he would refuse to sell anything not Qt'd. It's definitely a waiting game since you can't special order a specific fish, but I'm 100% not rushing the fish (even though I'm a bit too trigger happy with corals hahah).

This is my fish set goal:
- 2ea Clownfish (in tank)
- Royal Gramma (in tank)
- 3ea Blue Green Chromis (in Qt)
- Six Line Wrasse (soon in Qt)
- 2ea Bengai Cardinalfish
- Starry Blenny
- Purple Firefish
- Flame Angelfish
That's a great deal! I'm not sure what phone you have, but if you don't have a lens, you can play around with your camera settings and white balance it, so that you don't need one. Having that QT is a big help. I wish my LFS did that.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a lot of research on the AcroPower, but what got me to get the "Amino Organics" is that it have Nitrogen in it and since I still can't read any Nitrate I think this should help.
If you want a tip to grow acros and coralline like crazy, start dosing ammonia bicarbonate. Start off super slowly, and increase it over a long period of time. My Cal and alk consumption went through the roof and everything grew super quickly

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a tip to grow acros and coralline like crazy, start dosing ammonia bicarbonate. Start off super slowly, and increase it over a long period of time. My Cal and alk consumption went through the roof and everything grew super quickly
Where does one pick up Ammonia Bicarbonate?

I've noticed the coralline I have growing seems to be whiting out but my dkh is constant at 8.5, and mag is constant at 1420.

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have some Ammonium Chloride from Fritz that I used to cycle a freshwater tank. I see in some threads here that it can also work just as a different concentration but I'm not well versed enough on the topic to gamble on it.

JustinP.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have some Ammonium Chloride from Fritz that I used to cycle a freshwater tank. I see in some threads here that it can also work just as a different concentration but I'm not well versed enough on the topic to gamble on it.
Lol yeah for sure, especially with that torch!

But it does help with growth

OP
OP
R

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah for sure, especially with that torch!

But it does help with growth
I see you also have a XR30 Pro Gen 6. Did you tuned the intensity with a PAR meter? I had a real hard time to get it just right for a mixed reef. That Gen 6 does too much of a good job on the spread for a smaller tank. With the sand bed at 150, I was only getting 220-230 on the top of my rockscape. If I had 300 on top, my sand bed was cooking at 200-250.

Someone here said he fixed that issue with the "High Intensity Lens Kit" upgrade and it worked great for me. Now the top is 300 for the Acros while the sand bed stays lower at around 130 for my Scolys.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back