Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL build

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/3/24 This is going to be my very first reef tank build. I've pulled the trigger on currently popular; Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL. The tank volume is approximately 33 gallons. The tank should arrive in about a week.

Here's what I currently have:
Heater: Innovative Marine Helio PTC Smart Heater (100-watt, single element)
Salt: Fritz RPM Reef Pro
Rock: 24 lbs of dry rock handpicked from my lfs
Sand: Caribsea Special Grade (20 lb bag)
Powerhead: Sicce voyager nano (2000 L/hour)
ATC Refractometer
RO-DI: Aquatic Life 100 GPD 4 stage unit
Custom lid from Kraken Reef
*have not yet purchased testing or cycling supplies*

I've been scaping out the rock for about a week to get exactly what I want, and I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

1728002802585.png

This is the corner of my bedroom that the tank will be in, I plan on moving out the freshwater tank on the right when I can.

1728004303160.png

Here's what I've scaped out so far, I would say I'm probably 75% done. I've been taking my time with this scape for sure. I usually add about 1-2 pieces every day, and let it dry overnight. I plan on adding a drop down on that left hangover or some sort of island in the front left for corals. I'm trying to scape it out in a way that I can have a wide range of lighting and flow levels for different corals.
1728004817680.png

For now, I plan on doing a gsp back wall, a pair of clowns and a range of other corals like euphylias, leather, etc. Not really sure if I'm going to do zoas, but we'll see. I'll try to post the RO/DI installation, the finished scape, and when I get the tank and the set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8/16 I filled up the tank last night and started the cycle. The owner of my lfs was nice enough to bag up some waste water from a filter. I'm using the waste water a seachem stability for 8 days. Today, I put the 2nd dose of Seachem stability in, and i'm going to mess the ReefLED 50 light a little. I won't be using it during the cycle, but I want to become familiar with the interface. I'll post a longer update and some more photos when I get a chance.

Last edited:

DareDevilHDF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow because I have the same tank. I just upgraded it with the RedSea ATO+

I hesitate to add a Reefwave 25 (Or two AI Nero 3)

OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I ran into a slight problem during setup. The circulation pump that came with the tank didn't come with a hose barb connection to the pump or rubber feet. I was able to thread the hose into the pump temporarily while I'm waiting for the parts to get here. Currently, it's very loud as the pump is vibrating against the glass in the rear compartment. The owner of my lfs said this is the first time something like this has ever happened to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do a bunch of updates today!

8/16/24 I'm going to test in 8 days to see if the cycle is complete, and if it is, I'll add a pair of clowns. When I add them, I was planning on dosing some fritz turbo start as precaution. My lfs raves about Seachem Stability, but it's my first time using it, so I don't have full trust in it yet.

Below is the scape I ended up with. I'm pretty happy with it, but slightly concerned that it's too low in the tank. For corals, I would love to do torches, frogspawn, and hammers, along with a green toadstool leather, gsp on the back wall, and possibly a zoa garden. I'm trying to figure out where I want to place things, but I still have a few months till I really need to worry about that.

The Kraken Reef lid also came in today; it looks good and fits well and The IM Helio heater has been working great too; it's been holding 77 degrees with ease.

The cabinet is a bit of a mess currently, I'm working on cable management, and I will be adding lights inside shortly. The only filtration currently in the tank is the sponges, I have taken out the filter sock and the protein skimmer for the cycle.

Thanks for following me along the journey!

1729123564722.png IMG_4457.jpeg IMG_4456 (1).jpeg IMG_4458.jpeg IMG_4459.jpeg IMG_4460.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C12

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/22/24 Update:
2 days ago, I switched up the flow in the tank, to get a little more surface agitation and aeration, and then next morning, there was a very strong "body odor" smell coming from the tank. I'm pretty sure this was caused by not having enough surface agitation in the days prior, which led to a stinky biofilm on the surface, and increasing the flow aerated it. Today, the smell has pretty much dissipated.

Last night (10/21) The missing parts from Red Sea came in, and after installation, the return pump was much quieter. For some context; while setting up the tank, I discovered that the return pump was missing rubber feet and the hose barb connector. For those who are curious, the part #'s are R40625 and R40620.

Today will be the 8th and final dose of Seachem Stability, and this weekend I plan on going to my lfs and picking up a pair of clowns. I'll do another update and more photos when those are in the tank. Super stoked!

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back