internal parasites solution with food

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know if there is any food you can feed that will take care of internal parasites or do I have to pull the fish out and dip into prazi pro? stringy white poop from clownfish

*treat in prazi pro for a while

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
anyone know if there is any food you can feed that will take care of internal parasites or do I have to pull the fish out and dip into prazi pro? stringy white poop from clownfish

Before assuming internal parasites, if you are feeding mysis shrimop, brine shrimp or both, their poop will mimic the white stringy poop issue. Simply stop mysis and add LRS fish frenzy and marine cuisine and you will see change in colr.
Also associated with the issue is pinched stomach, loss of appetite and unusual behaviors.
Please post pic under white lighting of the fish.
Seachem metroplex added at .5gm to the food is the treatment IF needed

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before assuming internal parasites, if you are feeding mysis shrimop, brine shrimp or both, their poop will mimic the white stringy poop issue. Simply stop mysis and add LRS fish frenzy and marine cuisine and you will see change in colr.
Also associated with the issue is pinched stomach, loss of appetite and unusual behaviors.
Please post pic under white lighting of the fish.
Seachem metroplex added at .5gm to the food is the treatment IF needed
Alright ill stop feeding frozen for a bit because there is no pinched stomach or unusual behaviour thought I caught it early, main reason why I thought this because my purple tang isnt really growing and I hear that if a fish isnt growing how it should it may have internal parasites.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Alright ill stop feeding frozen for a bit because there is no pinched stomach or unusual behaviour thought I caught it early, main reason why I thought this because my purple tang isnt really growing and I hear that if a fish isnt growing how it should it may have internal parasites.
If fish isn’t growing, tank may be too small or not enough or proper food
If not eating and fire mentioned behaviors parasite
Again pics would be helpful

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know of any commercial food on the market in the US for this. You can make your own, here is a link:

However, mucus feces are not always parasites, as @vetteguy53081 said.

Here is a write up I did on this subject:

Excess mucus in fish feces: this will present as white or light colored, stringy fecal material that often
hangs from the fish’s anus for a longer than normal period. There are a number of different causes for
this, some benign, others very serious. Without access to a microscope, there is little that can be done to
diagnose this issue effectively.

Idiopathic mucus feces: this fancy term is just to describe white mucoid bulky feces of no
serious consequence, but of an unknown cause. Some suspicion is that this can be caused by changes in
diet or diets high in fats.

Starvation: Fish that have no food moving through their bowels may excrete white mucoid feces
with little bulk to them. The primary diagnostic for this issue is evident in that the fish won’t been seen to
be eating. Resolving the anorexia is of course the prime focus to resolve this issue.

Bacterial infection: internal bacterial infections can cause stringy feces as well. While some of
these may resolve on their own, medicated foods containing a broad spectrum, gram negative oral
antibiotic may be required.

Metazoan infections: multicellular worms are often blamed for mucoid feces, but in reality, they
are almost never the root cause for this, and really, can only be diagnosed through looking for their ova in
fecal samples. Fish can harbor tapeworms and nematodes without producing mucoid feces.

Protozoan infection: Hexamita and related diplomonad flagellate protozoans very frequently
cause white stringy feces, especially in newly acquired clownfish. Metronidazole is the most frequent
treatment for this issue. It can be dosed orally at 25 mg per kg of fish body weight, or 5 g in a kg of food.
However, it is a very bitter medication, and some fish will refuse to feed on food containing it. It can be
dosed in the water at 25 mg/l, but this is more effective in treating marine fishes, as freshwater fish do not
“drink” aquarium water.

Coccidia: These microscopic, spore-forming, single-celled parasites are common diseases in
dogs and cats. In fish, they cause epithelial necrosis of the gut, enteritis and the copious production of
mucus (Noga 2010). These cannot be diagnosed without microscopic examination, and there is no well
researched cure for this in fishes, although Toltrazuril has been tested.

Constipation: This malady is often given as a cause for stringy feces, but it is not as common as
one would think. When it is seen, the feces are usually dark, not light in color. Often touted as a “cure
for constipation”, many aquarists add Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to the aquarium’s water – do not
do this in marine aquariums, its use is primarily as a tonic/dip for freshwater fish. Seawater formulas
already contain between 7 and 19 grams of magnesium sulfate per gallon (depending on the recipe). NSW
magnesium level is around 1200 ppm and sulfur is around 840 ppm. Some benefit might be seen using it
as a dip in additional concentrations, but adding a small amount to a marine aquarium itself has no
benefit. Epsom salts do have some possible benefit when mixed into the food as a 3% by weight adjunct.
Another commonly heard remedy for constipation is; “feed fresh peas”. This is an effective cure for
fancy goldfish and Malawi cichlids that develop constipation and bloating. Again, overextrapolation has
marine aquarists trying to feed peas to carnivorous fish, etc. The best method to enhance gut motility in
fish is to feed frozen adult brine shrimp – not as a permanent diet, just long enough to get the constipation
resolved.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this frozen food in the past I'm not sure if its still available https://reefbuilders.com/2012/07/17/dr-gs-medicated-frozen-foods/

I don't think that product is still available. I only have some vague references for using chloroquine as a fish medication orally. It is very bitter (like metro is) and so a good dose may put the fish off feed. One public aquarium used it orally in a gelatin food binder at 6 to 10 milligrams of drug per gram of food, and then that has to be fed to the fish at a rate of around 3% of its body weight per day.

Jay

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back