+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you feed the corals at all?

Yeah, I'll target feed the LPS mysis sometimes. And dose Oyster Feast, Reef Chili or Reef Roids once a week as well. Oh, and the snails appreciate some nori because algae doesn't grow very much in this tank due to the low nutrients. ;)

Nutramar Foods

boudster

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... After 15+ years of no QT this article has convinced me to set one up for my new build. It's going to be difficult to be patient and wait so long to put a be fish into the tank... But I'd hate to build the tank of my dreams only to lose all the fish to disease. Thanks HumbleFish!

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a 10 gallon tank work as a QT tank?

Provided you have filtration, heater and hiding places, yes it certainly can. Of course that also depends on the size and amount of fish you plan to QT at one time.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a 10 gallon tank work as a QT tank?

I use 10 gal QTs to treat most of the sick fish I get from Petco. You just can't put more than 2-3 small/medium fish in there. And you need to have a working biofilter - I use an Aquaclear 50 (with a seeded sponge) on my 10 gal QTs.

MCooper

MCooper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... After 15+ years of no QT this article has convinced me to set one up for my new build. It's going to be difficult to be patient and wait so long to put a be fish into the tank... But I'd hate to build the tank of my dreams only to lose all the fish to disease. Thanks HumbleFish!

Couldn't agree more! I never had a QT before, but this site convinced me and I am happy I did. I am coming onto the 3rd week of my first 4 fish in the QT and although it is tough to just watch them in the QT tank vs. display tank, I know it is very well worth it.
I lost 1 fish after 1 week in QT and thankfully it was in QT since I have no idea what happened.

Corals.com

Outdrsyguy1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I'm still in my qt phase with the anthias and a couple chromis. Lost the 2 anthias to the bacterial infection but did the furan2 treatment and all other fish are doing well.
I did 2 treatments of prazipro but still have a couple fish that have white stringy poop occasionally. It's been about 6 days since the second prazipro dose and I out carbon in to get ready for cp but I was wondering if I need to treat again for internal worms or if the poop gets normal after a week or so. Thoughts on next step?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I'm still in my qt phase with the anthias and a couple chromis. Lost the 2 anthias to the bacterial infection but did the furan2 treatment and all other fish are doing well.
I did 2 treatments of prazipro but still have a couple fish that have white stringy poop occasionally. It's been about 6 days since the second prazipro dose and I out carbon in to get ready for cp but I was wondering if I need to treat again for internal worms or if the poop gets normal after a week or so. Thoughts on next step?

Metroplex is better for intestinal worms. Feeding it in the food coupled with focus to bind it is best as it gets the meds directly to the gut where the worms are.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would begin food soaking using Seachem Metroplex & Seachem Focus. That will deliver medication right into the intestines where the worms live. If they survive Prazipro, the next step is to use metronidazole to treat internal parasites.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Says to feed metoplex soaked food every 2 days (every other day). Can I combine that with cp or should I wait? How longs it usually take?

I would feed metro soaked food at least once a day. Can be done while treating with CP. Can take up to 3 weeks to completely clear intestinal worms. :)

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: after loosing so many tangs in Quarantine to Cupramine I am considering the following protocol for tangs:

1 week: 2 treatments with Prazipro
2 week: lower salinity to hypo
3, 4, 5, and 6 weeks: hypo salinity
Week 7: bring salinity up

I understand that hypo will only treat Ich and not velvet. But my reasoning would be that during these 7-8 weeks and with the added stress of hypo IF the fish was carrying Velvet it should become visible at some point right?

I also understand that some fish may still carry the parasite but due to some temporary immunity it would not show, but I believe 1) this should be a minority 2) given Velvet lifecycle probably it would be very unlikely not to manifest itself during this period and 3) given tangs more sensitive nature probably it would be even more unlikely for them to carry this and show no signs.

Any thoughts?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back