Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How soon after you add fish should you attempt to feed?

I always try a couple hours after intro - just a tiny bit. If they are already eating at that point I figure they have a great chance to making it to the DT. I use it as a "temperature gauge" on how they are handling the whole situation.

Top Shelf Aquatics

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had a piece of ceramic (artificial) rock in my quarantine tank that I want to move back to the display. I dosed cupramine while it was in the quarantine tank. Since than I have:

1- removed all cupramine running cuprisorb and carbon for a couple of weeks

2- removed the Rock and left it in a bucket with bleach and water overnight

3- replaced with RO/DI and added a declorinator (Seachem's Prime) and a power head. Repeated this the next day

4- left it out to dry

Do you think this would be safe to add at this point? What additional steps would you recommend?

Many thanks

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start my guys I got in yesterday on api general cure this will be my first time using it I have been having some bad luck with prazi recently so trying a new direction

1.General cure
2.Furan-2
3.coppersafe (could not find it yesterday will go looking today )

Fishes that's in qt's
Qt 1 pintail wrasse , temminckii , hybrid scopas tang

Qt 2 powder brown tang

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV Ceramic is a bit of a gray area when it comes to absorption. It is extremely dense, and I've seen it stated that ceramic ring bio media does not absorb copper; however I personally would still give the ceramic rock a 10 minute Hydrochloric acid bath (10:1 ratio) just to be on the safe side.

@Greenstreet.1 Do not use Furan-2 unless symptoms of a bacterial infection pop up. For GC; dose once, repeat dosage in 48 hrs, and then 1 week later administer two more dosages 48 hrs apart. :)

Corals.com

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV Ceramic is a bit of a gray area when it comes to absorption. It is extremely dense, and I've seen it stated that ceramic ring bio media does not absorb copper; however I personally would still give the ceramic rock a 10 minute Hydrochloric acid bath (10:1 ratio) just to be on the safe side.

@Greenstreet.1 Do not use Furan-2 unless symptoms of a bacterial infection pop up. For GC; dose once, repeat dosage in 48 hrs, and then 1 week later administer two more dosages 48 hrs apart. :)

Thanks. I've never noticed it absorbed any cupramine given that the levels remain steady according to the dosage... Not sure I can get Hydrochloric acid, where do you get it?

Alternatively, if I leave it in a bucket with RO and a reactor with carbon/cuprisorb for a week. Do you think this could work?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to pre mix the GC first or just add it to qt ?

Just dump it in a high flow area (like the HOB.) Might take 20-30 mins to fully dissolve, but that's OK. ;)

Thanks. I've never noticed it absorbed any cupramine given that the levels remain steady according to the dosage... Not sure I can get Hydrochloric acid, where do you get it?

Alternatively, if I leave it in a bucket with RO and a reactor with carbon/cuprisorb for a week. Do you think this could work?
In the US, its marketed as "Muriatic Acid", and sold in pool supply places and hardware / home improvement stores.

Your alternative strategy would probably work, but I'd leave it in the bucket with Cuprisorb for a month to be sure it removes all the copper the rock might leach out. Or if you could get a poly filter that will turn blue if the rock leaches copper into the water: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dump it in a high flow area (like the HOB.) Might take 20-30 mins to fully dissolve, but that's OK. ;)

In the US, its marketed as "Muriatic Acid", and sold in pool supply places and hardware / home improvement stores.

Your alternative strategy would probably work, but I'd leave it in the bucket with Cuprisorb for a month to be sure it removes all the copper the rock might leach out. Or if you could get a poly filter that will turn blue if the rock leaches copper into the water: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

Good heads up on the poly filter Big Homie I will be picking up some. [emoji1474][emoji1474][emoji1534]

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Muriatic acid I do have [emoji1]. So it is just 10minutes and it is done? Do I just leave the rock to dry afterwords, rinse it,...?

Rinse thoroughly afterwards and then let air dry for a few days. The acid burns off the outer layer of the rock where the copper may be stored. Remember, it's a 10:1 (water:acid) solution. And please do wear rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc. when fooling with that stuff. :eek:

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is chloraquine phosphate reef safe? I'm guessing no, but figured I'd ask.

No, it is a strong algaecide which kills zooxanthellae living inside most corals. It seems to be hit or miss with crustaceans, and I honestly don't know how snails, starfish & urchins would react to it. I did read somewhere that it was safe to use on clams, I believe. Here: http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=41
Therefore, aquarium alga and invertebrates containing zooxanthellae were at risk, which we witnessed firsthand in some early experiments, where some soft and stony corals perished. Nevertheless, Richard Terrell of the Pittsburg Zoo Aquarium & PPG Aquarium has reported using Chloroquine-dosed gel foods to halt an outbreak of Cryptocaryon in a giant clam exhibit, with excellent results.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish aka Big Homie I will be finished with my first round of API GC tomorrow and will be doing the recommended 25% water change in both qt's was wondering what you think my next treatment should be ?
H.scopas is eating and swimming around pintail and temminckii have all there colors but still hiding will come out and eat a little powder brown all over the qt eating

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish aka Big Homie I will be finished with my first round of API GC tomorrow and will be doing the recommended 25% water change in both qt's was wondering what you think my next treatment should be ?
H.scopas is eating and swimming around pintail and temminckii have all there colors but still hiding will come out and eat a little powder brown all over the qt eating

Have you used any other meds thus far? Or just GC? FYI; you need to do another round of GC in one week.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back