Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got four purple queens last night they are in qt right now just was wondering if prazi it the way to go with them ?

I would at least deworm them, yes.

So we would still quarantine even like a standard bubble tip?
No dips, just observation? Any fear of ich or hitchhikers?
A nem is unlikely to be carrying tomonts or eggs of a fish disease, unless it comes on a rock you have to worry about. However, because they absorb so much water there are always theronts (free swimmers) to consider. Ich theronts die out after 48 hours without a fish host; however velvet dinospores (free swimmers) can remain infective for up to 15 days. This is because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis (i.e. aquarium lights) as a means of obtaining nutrients (remember it is a dinoflagellate). Therefore, it would be wise to isolate the BTA for at least 15 days in a fishless environment before placing in your DT. :)

Any idea on places can purchase medications?
See links below (there's also Amazon):

http://www.petmountain.com/category/614/1/external-parasite-aquarium-medications.html

http://www.petmountain.com/category/1301/1/aquarium-bacterial-medications.html

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Fish-Medications.aspx

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/fish-medication/ps/c/3578/4615

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I have any which one and brand would you recommend I will pass and get it now so I have it on hand

Kanaplex and Furan-2 are my go-tos. Sometimes, for serious infections, I'll also add metro (exs. Metro-MS, Seachem Metroplex) to the mix.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex and Furan-2 are my go-tos. Sometimes, for serious infections, I'll also add metro (exs. Metro-MS, Seachem Metroplex) to the mix.

Thank you Big Homie I will adding them to my med kit. I already dosed the prazi.

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least deworm them, yes.

A nem is unlikely to be carrying tomonts or eggs of a fish disease, unless it comes on a rock you have to worry about. However, because they absorb so much water there are always theronts (free swimmers) to consider. Ich theronts die out after 48 hours without a fish host; however velvet dinospores (free swimmers) can remain infective for up to 15 days. This is because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis (i.e. aquarium lights) as a means of obtaining nutrients (remember it is a dinoflagellate). Therefore, it would be wise to isolate the BTA for at least 15 days in a fishless environment before placing in your DT. :)

See links below (there's also Amazon):

http://www.petmountain.com/category/614/1/external-parasite-aquarium-medications.html

http://www.petmountain.com/category/1301/1/aquarium-bacterial-medications.html

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Fish-Medications.aspx

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/fish-medication/ps/c/3578/4615
Very good info on the nem! I did not know this and was going to quarantine for 72weeks! Always learning something new with this thread [emoji106]

BRS

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Macro algae? Is there a known process for cleaning (dipping) or quarantining? I'm assuming a similar process to corals or anemones?

Keeping it in a fish free environment is the way to go... just like inverts and corals... 76 days

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this is a stupid question. If I get seawater in my QT tank, does it need to be cycled or is it ready to go?

It will still need to be cycled. The nitrifying bacteria needs to be built up in the filter. You wont find much of that bacteria in the water column. Are you talking about actual water from the ocean? or that water that comes in a box?

MCooper

MCooper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will still need to be cycled. The nitrifying bacteria needs to be built up in the filter. You wont find much of that bacteria in the water column. Are you talking about actual water from the ocean? or that water that comes in a box?

Water from the ocean

MCooper

MCooper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd advise you to use freshly made saltwater if you can, or water from your tank. You never know what you'll find in ocean water ;)

All the water in my tank is from LFS that gets its water from ocean directly so not sure if matter from my tank or not really. This is water many local reefers use for water changes and stuff like that. Cycle it is!
Thanks again for info as it is greatly appreciated

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the water in my tank is from LFS that gets its water from ocean directly so not sure if matter from my tank or not really. This is water many local reefers use for water changes and stuff like that. Cycle it is!
Thanks again for info as it is greatly appreciated

In that case, it wont matter much where you get the water. But yeah.... a cycle is still in order. Good luck!

CLICK TO VIEW

Paranoiattack91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish how long do fish need to be in copper for it to be effective. I've had fish in qt for 5 weeks now, I ran 2 rounds of prazi and was not going to run copper because of the wrasses, but now I don't want to chance it. I'll be up to full dosage on copper by tonight. Is 1 week in copper enough since they have already been in qt 5 weeks?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish how long do fish need to be in copper for it to be effective. I've had fish in qt for 5 weeks now, I ran 2 rounds of prazi and was not going to run copper because of the wrasses, but now I don't want to chance it. I'll be up to full dosage on copper by tonight. Is 1 week in copper enough since they have already been in qt 5 weeks?

Two weeks would be sufficient IF you tested the Cu level daily to ensure it remained within therapeutic levels AND the fish was transferred into your DT (or a holding tank) without lowering the Cu level beforehand. However, one month is "the rule" for those who are lax when it comes to testing their Cu level and who wish to lower the Cu level post treatment. One month of treatment provides more leeway for human error.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back