Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Never did fresh water dips because I could never get the PH to match (read somewhere that it was important). I would use conditioners and constantly over/undershoot the ph value.

I see from your post that for this short period of time it would not be an issue, but I am still nervous about doing this to a fish that is already looking fragile.

I am running carbon overnight to get the cupramine out so I will see tomorrow how he looks. Also left some nori in a clip. Let's see if he eats anything.

I guess I am tempted to do the PraziPro treatment and move him to the display in a week.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry about matching pH whenever I do a FW dip; it doesn't matter for just a short duration like that (5 mins). I know many are adverse to doing FW dips on SW fish, but I've had nothing but success with it (unless the fish was already on death's doorstep).

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. And now that you have told me I feel a lot more relaxed about it and probably will incorporate as part of my future quarantine protocols. However right now I feel it would either confirm flukes in which case I would need to take the fish back and treat with prazi anyway, or maybe I would not see any flukes in the bottom of the bucket and still treat as I would be afraid to trust my diagnosis capabilities [emoji4].

As a preventative and a means to provide instant relieve, now that you gave me peace of mind about the PH I may go ahead and do it to my future purchases prior to entering the QT.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question: I have a flame angel that looks as if it may have a case of fungus infection (some discoloration in the head area and mild case of torn fins) I have some Kanaplex (kanamacyn I believe) from seachem's as well as seachem's focus, which it seems should be used in conjunction with Kanaplex if you want to medicate the food.

My question is: can I medicate the food given all other (healthy) fish will also eat it, and probably more than the FA? Would it hurt the other fish?

Also, being an antibiotic is it safe to use in the reef tank, even if it is administrated with the food?

Thanks!

Thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question: I have a flame angel that looks as if it may have a case of fungus infection (some discoloration in the head area and mild case of torn fins) I have some Kanaplex (kanamacyn I believe) from seachem's as well as seachem's focus, which it seems should be used in conjunction with Kanaplex if you want to medicate the food.

My question is: can I medicate the food given all other (healthy) fish will also eat it, and probably more than the FA? Would it hurt the other fish?

Also, being an antibiotic is it safe to use in the reef tank, even if it is administrated with the food?

It's probably a bacterial infection, as fungal infections are very rare in SW fish. But yes, Kanaplex would be a good antibiotic to use. Focus binds it to food, so only a minimal amount will leach out (I would still run carbon as an insurance policy.) All the fish can eat it, it won't hurt them. You just don't want to do it too often so they won't build up an immunity to the antibiotic.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

Volpone

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions ,after treatment and putting ur fish in display tank , if u notice one white spot on the body of sensitive fish like blue hippo or powder blue is that sign for ich or something else like stress ?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish. Thank you for your advice! Foxface is eating aggressively again. Today is day 6 of PCN treatment. The black spot is fading but still observable. How long should I continue treatment?

10 consecutive days, minimum.

Just gotta say..Humblefish is the man! Helped me out and correctly diagnosed my clown's intestinal parasites. Treated with metroplex as advised and cured him. Fish headed to DT this week!
...and from now on I'm doing TTM and QT. This was a learning experience, and I'm a better hobbyist for it.
:)

Questions ,after treatment and putting ur fish in display tank , if u notice one white spot on the body of sensitive fish like blue hippo or powder blue is that sign for ich or something else like stress ?

One white spot could just mean sand stuck to the body or possible Lymphocystis, a harmless virus. It takes more than one white spot for me to push the panic button. ;)

I've never been able to keep a mandarin in QT. no live rock and no pod population. Suggestions?

TTM: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

You'll need to buy bottles of pods (expensive), or put some chaeto in there with pods from a disease-free DT. Discard chaeto afterwards. Some mandys will reportedly eat ROE.

51900146.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. Seems best to avoid mandarins :)

Due to their feeding requirements, they're one of the most difficult fish to get thru QT. But on the flip side, if you have a large enough DT and an ample supply of pods in the DT ... They are maintenance free and fascinating to watch in there.

AquaCave Logo Banner

clownsrcool

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't a disease treatment thread but there are a lot of knowledgeable people in here for me to ask. I recently had a keyhole angel die pretty much as a total shock to me. It has been eating fine and in the tank for about 8 months. It normally hangouts in a shaded area under an overhanging rock unless it's feeding time. It's pretty rare to see it out in the open for very long at all.

One night I get home and it's out in the open in the front corner of the tank at the sand bed. I immediately knew something was wrong since that wasn't normal at all. It looked like it was having a little bit of a hard time staying upright too. Not like it had a swim bladder deal or anything but it was in a high flow area and looked like it was definitely having feeling the current. He was staying in that exact spot for hours that morning. So I decided to dose prazipro in the tank. I did and within 20 min he was swimming all over the tank and looked more normal. Later I noticed he was stuck to the weir of the overflow like he got blown that way eventually and was too tired to free himself. I cut off the pump so he could free himself and he was looking pretty bad at that point. Either he was exhausted or in his final moments. I also noticed he started swimming around the tank as if he was blind now. Going right into the glass then right into the rocks and bouncing off. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. You could tell he was going to die any minute. Needless to say he did.

I have no idea what caused him to die or anything. Anybody ever have just an overnight turn for the worse where you have no idea what's wrong with them like that?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clownsrcool Some diseases (like flukes) can slowly creep up on a fish, while others (like velvet) are fast killers. Ich is more of a seesaw battle, with a fish usually succumbing when injured or some sort of "stressor event" compromises their immune system. Of course, this is assuming it even was a disease that killed your Keyhole Angel.

How are all your other fish looking?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look normal. They didn't have much appetite the day I dosed the prazipro. They are eating fine now and acting normal. I didn't see any visual signs that the angel was sick.

All you can really do is wait & see if you have problems with any of your other fish. That would suggest a disease is present and is spreading. Otherwise, what happened to your Keyhole could have just been a freak thing.

Puffy_Sanchez

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral QT set up but I was wondering what is your process before putting the frags on QT. I have been reading about Bayer dips for pest but bryopsis I don't believe would be killed by this. Thanks in advance.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back