+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess you keep a permanent QT?
For the time being, not finished stocking my tank yet. I personally think it's something everyone should do. A lot of headaches, heartaches, and money saved. The way I see it, at least I can see the fish anytime I want.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do most people handle ammonia during the QT period? Water changes or Amquel/Prime?

The use of “seeded” bio-media greatly helps with ammonia in QT. I personally use an Aquaclear HOB power filter (below), utilizing the “foam insert” i.e. sponge it comes with. I “seed” the sponge (or multiples) in a high flow area of my DT’s sump (or you can put it behind your rocks) for at least one month prior to QT. This one month allows time for enough beneficial bacteria to transfer onto the sponge, so that it may be used as biological filtration once placed back in the power filter and used in QT. An alternative (albeit expensive) way to instantly seed your sponge is to pour some Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria over it just prior to use. Below is a pic of the Aquaclear HOB power filter and correlating “foam” sponge (you can buy additional sponges cheaply):

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Puffy_Sanchez

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of “seeded” bio-media greatly helps with ammonia in QT. I personally use an Aquaclear HOB power filter (below), utilizing the “foam insert” i.e. sponge it comes with. I “seed” the sponge (or multiples) in a high flow area of my DT’s sump (or you can put it behind your rocks) for at least one month prior to QT. This one month allows time for enough beneficial bacteria to transfer onto the sponge, so that it may be used as biological filtration once placed back in the power filter and used in QT. An alternative (albeit expensive) way to instantly seed your sponge is to pour some Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria over it just prior to use. Below is a pic of the Aquaclear HOB power filter and correlating “foam” sponge (you can buy additional sponges cheaply):

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

Do you bleach, dry out and reuse the sponges multiple times?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Puffy_Sanchez

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I try to reuse what I can instead of throwing it out. Not really about the money.

I would probably soak in a mild vinegar solution and then let it air dry for a week before reusing. Just to be on the safe side.

Isaac113

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a qt tank with my bio cube 29. Planning on it being a permanent set-up as I try to stock my new 180. The plan is rubble rock in the back chamber and a maxijet 1200 as the return. I realize the rock will be comprised if I medicate. Will this work? Should I get a power head also.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reynaldoramon Ich trophonts (i.e. white spots) can only remain on a fish for 7 days max, so anything longer than that may just be Lymphocystis or something else.

@Isaac113 Your plan will work. However, I would remove the LR before ever using copper as rock will absorb it and make it difficult to maintain a stable concentration.

Bjwair

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humblefish got to say it's a great thread and inspired me to start a quarantine system. I do have a query, you have probably already covered it but during TMM is it okay to still use seeded sponges or could they possibly stow tomonts from the DT? Cheers

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a query, you have probably already covered it but during TMM is it okay to still use seeded sponges or could they possibly stow tomonts from the DT? Cheers
During TTM, they're in there for 72 hours max. No reason to seed for such a short time. by the time ammonia has a chance to creep up, you're changing containers and water.

^^Agree with this answer. However, you can use seeded sponges with TTM if you really want to provided two things:
  1. The "seeded sponge" comes from a disease-free DT, or you use a "bacteria in a bottle" product to seed it.
  2. The sponge must be considered contaminated post transfer and sterilized (using bleach or vinegar/drying) before using it again.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I setup a qt to run prazipro how long do I need to keep the fish out of the dt to make sure the flukes are dead? Does prazipro actually kill flukes? Thanks

Prazipro causes flukes to spasm and dislodge from the fish, and then they die. How to treat is explained below.

Fallow period for flukes is 4 weeks. However, you can use Prazipro in the DT (see below).

Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

Volpone

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have question about QT anf new fishes ,I've got blue powder tang and as everyone know its a white spot magnet and sensitive fish ,so long for 3 days its eating frozen food and looks healthy with no sign of any disease ,the question is : Do i need to give it any copper treatment if there is no sign of white spot ? And what is ur recommendation and advice ?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need to give it any copper treatment if there is no sign of white spot ? And what is ur recommendation and advice ?

Tough call. On one hand, PBTs are ich magnets and do usually handle copper well. So, it makes sense to prophylactically treat. On the other hand, they will almost always show symptoms of parasites after 1 month due to the "stress" of being in QT. If you don't see the classic white dots, you should at least notice behavioral symptoms such as flashing, scratching, head twitching and heavy breathing. The question is: Do you have enough free time to sit in front of the QT each & every day for 10-15 mins to observe for these behavioral symptoms, or would it be easier for you to just treat?

World Wide Corals

Volpone

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough call. On one hand, PBTs are ich magnets and do usually handle copper well. So, it makes sense to prophylactically treat. On the other hand, they will almost always show symptoms of parasites after 1 month due to the "stress" of being in QT. If you don't see the classic white dots, you should at least notice behavioral symptoms such as flashing, scratching, head twitching and heavy breathing. The question is: Do you have enough free time to sit in front of the QT each & every day for 10-15 mins to observe for these behavioral symptoms, or would it be easier for you to just treat?

I dont have any problem to treat ,just i drop this question to have idea even if the fish doesn't show any sign , i want that fish so hard for long time but i stay away of them .
Thx for advice humble fish .
I will start the dose later .

Volpone

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any problem to treat ,just i drop this question to have idea even if the fish doesn't show any sign , i want that fish so hard for long time but i stay away of them .
Thx for advice humble fish .
I will start the dose later.if u dont mind how days should be copper treat ? .

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back