Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Tremazol from Sera has worked really well thus far. Having said that, unfortunately I can't get Prazipro in Europe. The API never looked for it so not sure if it is available or not but will look for it.

I kind of attribute the success of Tremazol (in spite of the potentially flawed method) to the fact that perhaps it is very powerful...? Hence the requirement for 80% water change...?

Anyway, will look into API and probably do a full tank treatment in 7 days... I'm afraid you may have jinked my luck... [emoji1]

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW
Top Shelf Aquatics

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to Amazon and now they had delivery available to Spain [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]. Ordered 2 4oz bottles.

Do you know dosages in ml and liters? Also, what is the protocol? Does it require water changes or just carbon to remove? Do you dose once or do you need to dose daily?

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to Amazon and now they had delivery available to Spain [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]. Ordered 2 4oz bottles.

Do you know dosages in ml and liters? Also, what is the protocol? Does it require water changes or just carbon to remove? Do you dose once or do you need to dose daily?

Thanks!

1 teaspoon treats 20 US gallons. So, that's roughly 5 mL per 75 L of tank water.

You dose once, wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% WC and dose again. 72 hrs after the second dosage you should be good to go. However, I would recommend a large WC and run carbon for 24 hrs after that before dosing the water with any other chemicals (ex. copper). Just to be sure all the oxybispropanol is out which can cause interaction (bacterial blooms) when mixed with others meds.

Prazipro product page: http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/

Nutramar Foods

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! I see that it is recommended to shut down the skimmer... I would be a bit wary of doing that for a number of days due to decreasing oxygen levels... Is it really required?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! I see that it is recommended to shut down the skimmer... I would be a bit wary of doing that for a number of days due to decreasing oxygen levels... Is it really required?

Prazipro will make your skimmer go crazy. What you can do is just remove the collection cup, so that the water spills back into the sump. You'll have lots of microbubbles everywhere, but the tank will be well oxygenated. ;)

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the setup and some happy looking fishes.

d560a2ec313bea3254b61fa6b2ce2e01.jpg

The laptop on the right is connected to the Seneye monitor so that I have constant Amonia, PH and temp monitoring as well as email alerts. I used to use Seachem's ammonia strips but found them to be inaccurate. I had one reading zero and when introduced the Seneye it was actually at 0,018, which proved fatal for a Yellow tang. And no, I was not dosing cupramine at the time so it was not a bad reading. In fact, the Seneye measures free Amonia down to 0,001, so it has no issues with cupramine.

f8e90e5cb65915b78573e2e732907cd4.jpg

ed0bc8778ff5b064fbb5c08d7a9ec857.jpg

Nutramar Foods

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV That's a very nice and sophisticated QT setup! :)

Thanks. There are a lot of factors that contribute to where the QT system is today, namely:

1- I work abroad so only see the tank on weekends. This led me to get the largest possible tank so that any ammonia spikes are more gradual and it gives me more margin to solve them. The Seneye is also a great little gadget that allows me to monitor the tank and above all see the trends, so that I can react before something bad happens. Again, something important given I am not around during the week. It costs about 100usd but I believe for QT it is almost essential in order to give you piece of mind. They sell a wireless router that you can connect it to so that you can monitor without the need of having it connected to a PC. That costs about 175usd but given I had a laptop lying around did not need it.

2: already had the skimmer and the Eheim filter lying around, so no expense there. I also had the Seneye because it is also a PAR monitor and I had bought it initially because of that. Additionally there was a big sale on the tank so I managed to get it really cheap.

I think the Seneye is a great tool for any QT. it more than makes up for its cost financially speaking in terms of preventing livestock deaths.

Corals.com

Paranoiattack91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish quick question. I have a purple tang in qt right now. I bought him feb 2nd and put him in the qt and immediately noticed signs of ich (white spots). So I skipped prazi and when straight to the cupramine. He is all cleared up and healthy now at week 3. My question is, can I now dose the prazipro, is it ok to put it in after the copper?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish quick question. I have a purple tang in qt right now. I bought him feb 2nd and put him in the qt and immediately noticed signs of ich (white spots). So I skipped prazi and when straight to the cupramine. He is all cleared up and healthy now at week 3. My question is, can I now dose the prazipro, is it ok to put it in after the copper?

Leave him in copper for one more week, so he gets 4 weeks total exposure time. After that, I recommend doing a large WC, running carbon for 24 hrs (in a reactor works best), and then dosing Prazipro.

Technically you can mix Prazi & copper, but I reserve this for emergency situations (when the fish has both flukes and ich/velvet) for two reasons:
  1. The presence of copper diminishes praziquantel's overall effectiveness (but still usually enough to get the job done).
  2. Mixing Prazipro with any other med increases the chance of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring, which can starve most of the O2 out of the water and suffocate your fish. This is because the oxybispropanol found in Prazipro doesn't always play well with other meds. This scenario does not usually occur when mixing with copper, but I've seen it happen when mixing Prazipro with CP and antibiotics. One time it happened, and I did not move a CBB into another QT fast enough and lost him. :( So, I just play it safe now. ;)

Avast
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smaggert Your first pic shows a perfectly fine coral/invert QT setup. Below is a pic of my 29 gal "fishless" frag tank. I place all corals/inverts in here for 76 days before they go into my DT. Just cheap T5 lighting, Koralia powerhead, HOB powerfilter, heater, rock/sand and a frag rack gets the job done. ;)

Dreadnaught

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Do I have to worry about starving snails and clean-up crew in a fish less system? 76 days seems like an eternity as I get ready to fill a 245DT (+ 150G Fuge and 120G sump). I appreciate the article and advice.

Corals.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Do I have to worry about starving snails and clean-up crew in a fish less system? 76 days seems like an eternity as I get ready to fill a 245DT (+ 150G Fuge and 120G sump). I appreciate the article and advice.

Yes, I supplemental feed nori for the strict herbivores and slivers of raw shrimp for the carnivores. In most cases, 30-45 days of isolation is sufficient. But 76 days gets you closer to 100% certainty.

reynaldoramon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's experience with Liveaquaria Diver's Den and their quarantined fish? Is QT sufficient in your experience, or are ya'll still doing TTM, Hypo, or copper with their fish? Just curious.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back