Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone's experience with Liveaquaria Diver's Den and their quarantined fish? Is QT sufficient in your experience, or are ya'll still doing TTM, Hypo, or copper with their fish? Just curious.
I would always use Qt. They tell you right on the website to quarantine. I use TTM with prazi on the 2nd and 4th transfer.

Nutramar Foods

reynaldoramon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I read, people say that mandarins are resilient to infection and parasites. I want to get one, and I want to still ttm. But I'm worried it won't survive...for nutrional reasons. I've been reading on QTing them properly, but the majority are saying they don't. I'm not using TTM on everyone, and doing fallow for 76 days just to throw a fish in there and be a carrier of something. Thoughts?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

reynaldoramon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counting down the moment.

uploadfromtaptalk1456540394519.png

Paranoiattack91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave him in copper for one more week, so he gets 4 weeks total exposure time. After that, I recommend doing a large WC, running carbon for 24 hrs (in a reactor works best), and then dosing Prazipro.

Technically you can mix Prazi & copper, but I reserve this for emergency situations (when the fish has both flukes and ich/velvet) for two reasons:
  1. The presence of copper diminishes praziquantel's overall effectiveness (but still usually enough to get the job done).
  2. Mixing Prazipro with any other med increases the chance of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring, which can starve most of the O2 out of the water and suffocate your fish. This is because the oxybispropanol found in Prazipro doesn't always play well with other meds. This scenario does not usually occur when mixing with copper, but I've seen it happen when mixing Prazipro with CP and antibiotics. One time it happened, and I did not move a CBB into another QT fast enough and lost him. :( So, I just play it safe now. ;)
I guess My question should have been ; "Can I avoid doing a water chancge all together?" I'm only asking because it's only one fish in a 40 gallon tank, so I doubt the waste levels are that high. I don't want to stress the fish out anymore by doing an unnecessary water change. Would running carbon for 48 hours and then dosing prazi be ok?

CLICK TO VIEW

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess My question should have been ; "Can I avoid doing a water chancge all together?" I'm only asking because it's only one fish in a 40 gallon tank, so I doubt the waste levels are that high. I don't want to stress the fish out anymore by doing an unnecessary water change. Would running carbon for 48 hours and then dosing prazi be ok?

It's best to do the water change before running the Prazi. Though, if your not going to do the water change it's ok to mix the prazi with the copper.... though like humble said, it wont be as effective as with the copper gone.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to do the water change before running the Prazi. Though, if your not going to do the water change it's ok to mix the prazi with the copper.... though like humble said, it wont be as effective as with the copper gone.

+1 And whether or not you can go 30 days without doing a WC depends upon how much ammonia builds up during that time period. All you can do is let the ammonia alert badge be your guide.

Nutramar Foods

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been covered - when you are not QT ing do you dry out the tank or keep water in there or???

In the same manner, do you use new water each time you QT?

Good questing. I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been covered - when you are not QT ing do you dry out the tank or keep water in there or???

This all depends. Some only keep up when in use and use water from DT, while others drain and hide when not in use. I've had mine up for a year because I'm not done stocking. There is no wrong or right answer to this.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally break down my QT in-between batches of fish, unless they are arriving back to back. However, there is nothing wrong with maintaining a permanent QT so long as everything goes smoothly. But if you suffer a massive fish loss in QT it might be best to just start over again with a "clean slate".

Many times I will fill my QT with water from a DT water change. This is only advised if you are sure your DT is disease free. Also nothing wrong with using freshly mixed SW, so long as you allow time for it to thoroughly mix & circulate. So once again, no right or wrong answer here. ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back