Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so bad it's difficult to tell what started it, but I would say it's entire body is infected. I can't believe it has lived long enough for this to get that bad. Poor poor baby :(

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bad bacterial infection. Can't tell but looks like the fins are pretty rotten as well so maybe started as fin rot and has spread.

^^This. At the root of the problem is probably a bad velvet infestation. Remember, friends don't let friends buy fish from Petco. Unless they are getting them 1/2 price for experimentation. ;)

MatnNatsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the QT I use. Last inhabitants were an Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby and a pair of Snowflake Clowns who made this their home for quite a while after TTM + fallow period. This sits in my living room 15' away from the display tank so no cross contamination can occur. It's only a 10gal and has a jumper proof lid I made. We only keep small fish. The rock and sand were added to help the Goby feel less stressed and can be removed easily. There were a couple of PVC pieces for the clownfish I've since removed. We run two hang on back filters in case one stops working and combined gives the tank filtration rated for 50gal. They're also nice because I can change the filter floss cheaply and easily. I recently tossed a few MarinePure balls in to help with good bacteria. The lighting is simple LED that will keep corals alive when placed on magnetic frag rack.

I think the entire setup was around $150 and it will continue to save me countless headaches going forward.

QT_Goby.jpg

Nutramar Foods

mandylv23

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went in to buy dog food and couldn't help but look at the fish....this store used to be well maintained but the aquatics manager quit to go work offshore and ever since it has drastically declined....sad thing is the new guy is eager to learn but has had no proper training at all....

omykiss001

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit off topic, but still relevant to quarantine. I am in a fallow period due to ich that came in on a coral.

I found these on my torch coral the other night and now explains most likely why I lost my elegance coral as it's basically a euphyllia too. These are polyclad flatworms, the euphyllia loving variety. Torch is in sad shape but still alive, elegance is dead and both hammer had a couple worms on them. Had I put the elegance in a QT tank I would have had a better shot of seeing these and probably would have spared my torch and hammers. It's going to be a very manual process to eradicate them from my tank and a further reason when you'd don't quarantine you are taking a bit gamble. My motto going forward in QT anything that I can!

Just to put into perspective how infested this poor coral was when I dipped in Coral Rx about 15 worms, some up to 1.5 inches came off the poor thing. All the small circles you see on the skeleton are eggs from these guys that have to be manually removed, then repeated several more times to get any are missed.

Here is my thread about it if you'd like to read along.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...for-info-on-lifecycle-and-eradication.232329/

ebdc7a6be3b6cd2ae595f57ec8dad915.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the proper way to QT an anemone?

What kind of nem? If it's a mag, gig or haddoni, I like to prophylactically treat with cipro because the chances of infection are high. All others require just isolation away from fish. Probably just a couple of weeks to be sure no theronts inadvertently transfer over on them; I highly doubt a tomont can encyst to a nem.

Top Shelf Aquatics

drstratton

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nem? If it's a mag, gig or haddoni, I like to prophylactically treat with cipro because the chances of infection are high. All others require just isolation away from fish. Probably just a couple of weeks to be sure no theronts inadvertently transfer over on them; I highly doubt a tomont can encyst to a nem.
I'm going to be getting a couple of Rock nems, do you recommend Cipro for those also and how do you dose that? Thank you!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting a BTA

Just regular coral/invert QT for those.

I'm going to be getting a couple of Rock nems, do you recommend Cipro for those also and how do you dose that? Thank you!
I wouldn't bother with cipro for that, only carpet-like anemones are at risk for infection (usually damage from shipping).

Avast

drstratton

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just be sure no substrate is attached to it's base when you transfer it. And pour some DT tank water over it just before you put it in your DT.
Thank you! You have been so helpful with all of my QT questions, it's very much appreciated!

jaws789832

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a fish to get lethargic while on copper treatment? I got this yellow tang about 3 weeks ago. Dosed 2 rounds of prazipro with water changes in between. Started dosing cuprimine last sunday. Everything was going fine until this morning after I dosed I noticed he wasn't acting his chipper self. He ate well this evening but wasn't as energetic while doing it as he has been. The last dose went in this evening which got me up to .5. Now he is just hanging out at the bottom of the tank, not really swimming around like normal. The delima is I go to work for 2 days straight tomorrow so I wont be around to keep an eye on him so any corrections I have to do tonight. I am pretty sure its not an overdose. I have both the salifert and seachem test kits and they both read the same (actually a little under .5). Just wondering if this is normal or something I should be concerned about. I will try to post a video if photobucket cooperates tonight.

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a fish to get lethargic while on copper treatment? I got this yellow tang about 3 weeks ago. Dosed 2 rounds of prazipro with water changes in between. Started dosing cuprimine last sunday. Everything was going fine until this morning after I dosed I noticed he wasn't acting his chipper self. He ate well this evening but wasn't as energetic while doing it as he has been. The last dose went in this evening which got me up to .5. Now he is just hanging out at the bottom of the tank, not really swimming around like normal. The delima is I go to work for 2 days straight tomorrow so I wont be around to keep an eye on him so any corrections I have to do tonight. I am pretty sure its not an overdose. I have both the salifert and seachem test kits and they both read the same (actually a little under .5). Just wondering if this is normal or something I should be concerned about. I will try to post a video if photobucket cooperates tonight.

That's normal. If he stops eating then you'll want to remove the copper and seek alternative treatment methods.

FireEMT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a red lined wrasse, carpenter flasher wrasse, and a lawnmower blenny. Both of the wrasse dies within two days, the red lined wrasse died the same day I placed it in the QT and the carpenter the next day. I am doing the TTM for the first time and I would like to know what I did wrong. The lawnmower blenny is fine and I just did the 2nd transfer and added prazi. Are wrasse more delicate or is it something I did. I acclimated them for about a half an hour and they had plenty of pipe to hide in. I really want to have 4-5 wrasse but don't want to kill any more of them if I can help it. Any information would be appreciated. My QT consists of 10g tank, air stone, ammonia badge, heater, and thermometer.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back