How to humanely end this tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Because weeds do not have nervous systems, and sea anemones do, and although they cannot feel pain, they can feel discomfort, and I said this already, but honestly its just the thought that their bodies are doing what they can on all of their power to survive is what is doing it for me. :(

Their bodies are not "trying to survive" but are simply responding chemically similar to how a computer runs code. Its just a logical processes running in a system that says if x happens do y. A basic nerve net doesn't imply awareness in the way you are describing it. They have no "care" for being alive. It is the same thing that happens if you delete windows from a computer, unplug a microwave, turn a car off, etc.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predators kill prey for a benifit. Usually for food, but other times for defense. The anemone has no real "reason" to be killed other than that I don't want it anymore. I heard that peppermint shrimp work well though so I will look into that:thinking-face:

The aiptasia can sting and damage corals you want to keep. So there is a benefit to killing them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure about that... cat's kill birds and mice and other critters just for the sport of it.

I wouldn't say just for the sport of it. That is probably giving the cats too much credit. I am unaware of any animal outside of humans that engages in killing for fun.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, I had a pretty good laugh at a lot of this, but most of my amusement stems from not being able to understand the reluctance to kill. Everything Kills, most of it to Eat what it Kills. You should see what a really large shade tree does to everything that tries to grow under it.

Growing up on a farm, where I bottle fed calves and pigs I later butchered, and ate predisposes me to a more violent nature I guess.

Anyways I'm thinking beef for dinner.

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say just for the sport of it. That is probably giving the cats too much credit. I am unaware of any animal outside of humans that engages in killing for fun.
Coyotes have killed my chickens for sport in the past…they didn’t even eat them, just killed them, hauled them down the hill and left them there.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coyotes have killed my chickens for sport in the past…they didn’t even eat them, just killed them, hauled them down the hill and left them there.

There are more parsimonious explanations that for sport, such as surplus killing.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Because weeds do not have nervous systems, and sea anemones do, and although they cannot feel pain, they can feel discomfort, and I said this already, but honestly its just the thought that their bodies are doing what they can on all of their power to survive is what is doing it for me. :(
I thought I heard it all in this hobby, lol

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aiptasia can sting and damage corals you want to keep. So there is a benefit to killing them.
I have to admit, I had a pretty good laugh at a lot of this, but most of my amusement stems from not being able to understand the reluctance to kill. Everything Kills, most of it to Eat what it Kills. You should see what a really large shade tree does to everything that tries to grow under it.

Growing up on a farm, where I bottle fed calves and pigs I later butchered, and ate predisposes me to a more violent nature I guess.

Anyways I'm thinking beef for dinner.
There are more parsimonious explanations that for sport, such as surplus killing.
I thought I heard it all in this hobby, lol
I never thought I'd get so many replies over such a pathetic topic.:face-with-open-mouth: I thank you all for the attention, but I think I've got it. I'll just pull the anemones, freeze them, and throw them away. I will also be freezing them inside of a few paper towels so that I don't have to bare the sight of what I am about to do.:downcast-face-with-sweat:

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cats (domesticated house cats and predatory large cats) are well know to HUNT and kill prey that is not needed or used for food.

Call it "instinct", "practice", "fun", "sport", "stimulating", "enjoyable"... whatever. I have watched my cat "play" with mice for hours before killing them. Interrupt him (to dispose of the "toy") and he let's it go so he can hunt it again.

I have watched the neighbors cat kill birds at my feeder and walk away from them, prancing and tail twitching like they just got back from the disco.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back