OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t feel pain though.

How is intentionally adding a predator to eat them alive going to be any less “painful?”
Well, when a predator eats it, the death is natural and I don't have to go to sleep knowing the anemone died because of "me".

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the contradiction you're presenting? It's ok to have them live in a tank with poor water quality (torturing them?) but it's inhumane to let them be eaten?

Whether keeping animals in captivity or conserving animals in the wild there will always be sticky ethical questions. I would argue the top and most important priority is the ecosystem maintaining the animals. As far as killing invertabrates like anemones humanly, I would guess, and I want to emphasize it's just a guess, would be to freeze them. Since they are almost certainly ectotherms with out any body temperature regulatory systems that would cause them to go into shock like mammals thier body functions "likely" will just slow down and stop as their temperature ceases.
i actually have been considering freezing them, that is a good idea! But about the water quality, it is just fine, and could inhabit most invertebrates, fish, and I even have corals growing in there. It was kind of misleading for me to say that the params are unbalanced, more so that they're not so stable and perfect that a nudibranch would survive since as mentioned, they're extremely sensitive regarding water quality. The anemone itself though is thriving. Its growth atleast 10 times the size from when I got it, from about a centimeter in size to about 5 inches. Its progress is another contributer to why I don't want to be the one to kill it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Because weeds do not have nervous systems, and sea anemones do, and although they cannot feel pain, they can feel discomfort, and I said this already, but honestly its just the thought that their bodies are doing what they can on all of their power to survive is what is doing it for me. :(

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Because weeds do not have nervous systems, and sea anemones do, and although they cannot feel pain, they can feel discomfort, and I said this already, but honestly its just the thought that their bodies are doing what they can on all of their power to survive is what is doing it for me. :(
how do you come to grips (honestly) with food other than plant based and even then... you are differentiating by "nervous system" but plants react to stimulus, sun, day length, pressure, temperature, touch, etc.

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just be the predator?
Predators kill prey for a benifit. Usually for food, but other times for defense. The anemone has no real "reason" to be killed other than that I don't want it anymore. I heard that peppermint shrimp work well though so I will look into that:thinking-face:

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get where your coming from in saying that you can’t kill a living creature like that, but, as others have said…it’s like pulling a weed you don’t want growing in your yard. And, just because it can “move” to keep itself alive, doesn’t make it anything more. I would suggest just taking some aiptasia-X to them, they’ll be gone within minutes. If you can’t bring yourself to do that, then get a natural predator that will eat them.

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Predators kill prey for a benifit. Usually for food, but other times for defense. The anemone has no real "reason" to be killed other than that I don't want it anymore. I heard that peppermint shrimp work well though so I will look into that:thinking-face:
Listen you are killing it so other corals can thrive similar to a Gardner. What makes life valuable is that there is death. This is the cycle of life. Without killing these aptasia it will be more difficult to have other life.

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen you are killing it so other corals can thrive similar to a Gardner. What makes life valuable is that there is death. This is the cycle of life. Without killing these aptasia it will be more difficult to have other life.
I get where your coming from in saying that you can’t kill a living creature like that, but, as others have said…it’s like pulling a weed you don’t want growing in your yard. And, just because it can “move” to keep itself alive, doesn’t make it anything more. I would suggest just taking some aiptasia-X to them, they’ll be gone within minutes. If you can’t bring yourself to do that, then get a natural predator that will eat them.
Good points

capt_alaver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure about that... cat's kill birds and mice and other critters just for the sport of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
If its a few, keep it simple - Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
If many, leathermat file should but you cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work extremely well. Buy from Reeftopia.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you're absolutely right! But their bodies will still do whatever it can in its power to keep the body alive, and prohibiting that is just sad you know:crying-face:

Will probably have to just have to kill them and get it over with though...
Get a Australian stripy it’s a great fish will eat them all up they can’t resist

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back