How to kill aiptasia effectively

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will peppermint shrimps eat Zoanthus after the Aiptasia gone?
I wish

IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for Sundial snails, Heliacus variegatus, a long time ago to get rid my tank of Zoanthus. That was 30 years ago. This snail is a specific Zoanthus predator.
71e2b9360132cc841efecefb55a24504--saltwater-aquarium-sundial.jpg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wish to get rid of the Zoanthus?
There is somebody on R2R with sea spider that decimated his Zoanthus. Maybe you can get some from him.
Yeah I had a frag fall into a hole months ago and this happened. My fault for not doing something sooner. I would love a natural predator as I'm not looking forward to cutting them out.

dwarfseahorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp have worked for me 100% of the time
They have worked for me 100% of the time also. Plus, they get along with everything in the tank and are fun to watch. They keep everything clean. Unfortunately, they won't eat bubble algie but thats another problem.

haslip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just keep an aptasia eating file fish in there? When they see them they eat them. When they have cleaned them up, they eat any food you feed the rest of the tank. Plus, they might not have amazing colors but are fun to watch swim around.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot survives an overcoat made from sodium hydroxide and kalk;

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post @Dburr1014. I have a Copper banded butterfly fish that is the Michael Phelps of my 180g. “Unstoppable”! 100% 7 plus years no Aptasias! At least in my “tank proper” There are dozens of them in my two overflows. I mostly forget about them. Anyhow maybe not 100%. :thinking-face:
You need to teach the fish to swim into the overflow and get them if you want 100%, and of course into the sump and in all the pipes. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I have mine in a tank without any aps and I need to move him into the fish tank in the house but I am worried about aggression in that tank. These things always seem to have some complication.

Bad Day Falling GIF by Buyout Footage

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermints didn't distinguish between aiptasia and small rfa. They're all anemone, after all. But, it's been a year + and no aiptasia. Only lost a few smaller rfa, stopped immediately after I returned the shrimp to the store.

reefiteasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will peppermint shrimps eat Zoanthus after the Aiptasia gone?
Generally not if the tank is well fed. They do have a tendency to pick food out of corals if they’re not well fed and sometimes that can irritate corals

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has or will have these buggers if you don't QT everything. They have adopted to living in our tanks quite well and are really good at survival.

I have used many ways to kill aiptasia I still find them. I have only seen one in my system in the past couple years until a couple days ago. I probably have a dozen since trying to kill that one a couple months ago.

There are several ways to kill aiptasia but I have never found any to be 100% effective.
Not even the Berghia nudibranch is 100%, they eat what they can find and die. Others have success with shrimps and certain fish but if they leave the system certainly the aiptasia will return.

Kalk paste, lemon juice, and commercial remedies at the LFS, all the same. If not used correctly they don't kill 100%. Most likely they lead to the aiptasia getting worse.

I came across this article today and it's the first I've seen it so I wanted to share.
This method says it's about 90% effective. It will burn the aiptasia as long as it's gets onto the target.

This is NOT to be taken lightly by any means. This is a chemical that can do some damage if you don't take your precautions. Wear your personal protective equipment (PPE).

Happy Reefing

I've been using 3M Sodium Hydroxide + Calcium Chloride for long while now.

Works pretty well at nuking them, but they pretty much always come back 3-12 months later no matter what you use.

They're just a part of reef keeping which I've accepted :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 3M Sodium Hydroxide + Calcium Chloride for long while now.

Works pretty well at nuking them, but they pretty much always come back 3-12 months later no matter what you use.

They're just a part of reef keeping which I've accepted :)
They do seem to be able to resurrect from the dead. I have tried the pastes and injection therapy; I watched them return after seeing them disintegrate with vinegar, Muriatic acid lime juice, and still they would spontaneously generate on the live rocks after repeated treatments.

I suspect that they do indeed die from injecting them but they must be leaving behind a small pedal clone, or something similar that was deposited before they were treated? The observations were that they came back from the dead and after 4 reincarnation episodes (some that included injections and acid immersion of the whole piece of live rock) and they returned typically after 3-4 weeks of “successful” eradication.

OP
OP
Dburr1014

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back