Berghia Nudibranchs in Your Reef Tank

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an out of control aiptasia problem and about 10 weeks ago bought 23 Berghia. I have not seen any lessening of the aiptasia as of yet. Two questions/thoughts:
- How long do they normally take to be effective
- What other reef dwellers/fish might eat the Berghia. I am thinking of getting a captive bred aiptasia eating filefish and a Kleini Butterfly soon. I know they can eat the aiptasia, but will they also eat the Berghia?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my berghia nudibranchs a long time to demolish my aiptasia. I put 3 in a 15g (which is a ton for the tanks size), and it took 8 weeks. They reproduced the day I put them in, so I think that sped things up a ton since I had mature ones that could lay eggs once I added them in. So, I think you're on track. If you got 23 large ones, then you should start to see aiptasia disappearing in a few more weeks.

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took my berghia nudibranchs a long time to demolish my aiptasia. I put 3 in a 15g (which is a ton for the tanks size), and it took 8 weeks. They reproduced the day I put them in, so I think that sped things up a ton since I had mature ones that could lay eggs once I added them in. So, I think you're on track. If you got 23 large ones, then you should start to see aiptasia disappearing in a few more weeks.
great, thank you for the response...my tank is 210 gallons, so maybe they will take a while to reproduce enough to start impacting

William Bruckmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an out of control aiptasia problem and about 10 weeks ago bought 23 Berghia. I have not seen any lessening of the aiptasia as of yet. Two questions/thoughts:
- How long do they normally take to be effective
- What other reef dwellers/fish might eat the Berghia. I am thinking of getting a captive bred aiptasia eating filefish and a Kleini Butterfly soon. I know they can eat the aiptasia, but will they also eat the Berghia?
What size tank? Berghia either eat Aiptasia or die, so at 10 weeks I think you should see at least some Aiptaisa disappearing. I thought only wrasses and inverts ate them, but sold some one time and the customer watched a yellow tang eat one. I guess anything is possible.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had success with berghia. For me it is like lighting my wallet on fire every time. I had great luck with a filefish. He completely eradicated my 120g of a massive infestation in about 3 weeks. But then he developed a taste for my zoas and killed my bubble tip anemone so he was returned to the LFS. Still, I owe him a great deal of thanks. Saved me from almost throwing in the towel on the whole hobby.

William Bruckmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had success with berghia. For me it is like lighting my wallet on fire every time. I had great luck with a filefish. He completely eradicated my 120g of a massive infestation in about 3 weeks. But then he developed a taste for my zoas and killed my bubble tip anemone so he was returned to the LFS. Still, I owe him a great deal of thanks. Saved me from almost throwing in the towel on the whole hobby.
Thats the beauty of Berghia, they only eat one thing. They only don’t work when something eats them. I am guessing you had a predator in your tank. Glad the filefish worked though.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the beauty of Berghia, they only eat one thing. They only don’t work when something eats them. I am guessing you had a predator in your tank. Glad the filefish worked though.
I’m sure it was a predator. I have wrasses, cleaner shrimp, and hermits. Someone told me it would be fine though, so I took the chance, twice actually. First time I thought maybe I just didn’t buy enough. Not gonna fool me thrice!

OP
OP
Rocky Mountain Reef

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Berghia either eat Aiptasia or die, so at 10 weeks I think you should see at least some Aiptaisa disappearing. I thought only wrasses and inverts ate them, but sold some one time and the customer watched a yellow tang eat one. I guess anything is possible.
the tank is 210 gallons, but a lot of rock and absolutely covered with aiptasia. it's dreadful to look at. saw another Berghia on the glass a few days ago in the morning and watched it crawl down to the sand and back into the rocks. might be that because of the amount of aiptasia it'll take some time for enough Berghia to make an impact.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 210 gallons, but a lot of rock and absolutely covered with aiptasia. it's dreadful to look at. saw another Berghia on the glass a few days ago in the morning and watched it crawl down to the sand and back into the rocks. might be that because of the amount of aiptasia it'll take some time for enough Berghia to make an impact.
Typically it is the following generations of berghia that do the most damage to aptasia so it takes time. A general rule is that anything that eats aptasia will eat berghia.

William Bruckmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically it is the following generations of berghia that do the most damage to aptasia so it takes time. A general rule is that anything that eats aptasia will eat berghia.
This is true. It is those spirals of 100’s of eggs that eventually get the job done.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will eat berghia

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to use nudis for my aptasia, but it just didn't feel right to let them eat, and then starve them to death, so I'm using f-aptasia.

But I don't have an outbreak. I have "hitchhiking aptasia" on my live rock, and I think its completely manageable to get it all removed with f-aptasia.

We shall see :)

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Aiptasia-X for a while, but it was just too difficult to stay on top of them. They would return and multiple each time. I then added ~40 berghia into my tank a few weeks ago. Didn't consider that my wrasses would probably eat them... Anyway, literally haven't seen a single one of them in the tank since adding them, BUT a few weeks later and I can't find any more aiptasia in my tank anymore. So I guess they were able to hide from the wrasses well enough during the day to come out and be effective at night. I wish they would migrate down into my sump where lots of Aiptasia still propagates.

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Aiptasia-X for a while, but it was just too difficult to stay on top of them. They would return and multiple each time. I then added ~40 berghia into my tank a few weeks ago. Didn't consider that my wrasses would probably eat them... Anyway, literally haven't seen a single one of them in the tank since adding them, BUT a few weeks later and I can't find any more aiptasia in my tank anymore. So I guess they were able to hide from the wrasses well enough during the day to come out and be effective at night. I wish they would migrate down into my sump where lots of Aiptasia still propagates.
my understanding is they come out at night.... could be wrong... But you might see if you can see them at night, and possibly rehome some of them to the sump.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to use nudis for my aptasia, but it just didn't feel right to let them eat, and then starve them to death, so I'm using f-aptasia.

But I don't have an outbreak. I have "hitchhiking aptasia" on my live rock, and I think its completely manageable to get it all removed with f-aptasia.

We shall see :)
That's the safest bet with the sporadic aiptasia

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no problems with wrasse eating them.
They do come out at night if you can use a flashlight and catch them. Use a turkey baster.
Then put them in your sump.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no problems with wrasse eating them.
They do come out at night if you can use a flashlight and catch them. Use a turkey baster.
Then put them in your sump.
I've tried locating them at night with a flashlight but haven't found any. If I can find some I'll relocate them to the sump.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back