How old do fish need to be for prazi and copper treatment?

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Question is in the title.
I have 2 tiny fish (just around half inch) that kids got from the sea and they want to add to the DT after they go through QT.

One is a night sergeant (which I will likely end up giving to someone else as I don't want him messing with my zoas), the other is some sort of blenny.

I had them in QT for about 1.5 weeks. Both doing great, but I am afraid they might be too small, young and fragile to start preventive treatment with Prazipro and copper on them.

Any suggestion on whether it would be ok, or not to start such treatment?
Picture of the blenny below.

Thank you!
20230102_000550.jpg

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's no age limit. Prazi is a great method to treat your new fish.....follow directions and you should be ok.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Question is in the title.
I have 2 tiny fish (just around half inch) that kids got from the sea and they want to add to the DT after they go through QT.

One is a night sergeant (which I will likely end up giving to someone else as I don't want him messing with my zoas), the other is some sort of blenny.

I had them in QT for about 1.5 weeks. Both doing great, but I am afraid they might be too small, young and fragile to start preventive treatment with Prazipro and copper on them.

Any suggestion on whether it would be ok, or not to start such treatment?
Picture of the blenny below.

Thank you!
20230102_000550.jpg
Smaller fish have a greater surface area to body volume ratio. That means that chemicals applied as a bath act be more toxic to them.
That said, if you are using either coppersafe or copper power, they will be fine - just avoid ionic copper. You should run the copper for 30 days and then dilute it with a water change and dose 2x with prazipro, 8 days apart. That should also be safe as long as there is good aeration in the tank.
One thing that small fish have difficulty with is salinity rises - so make any upward adjustments very slowly.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller fish have a greater surface area to body volume ratio. That means that chemicals applied as a bath act be more toxic to them.
That said, if you are using either coppersafe or copper power, they will be fine - just avoid ionic copper. You should run the copper for 30 days and then dilute it with a water change and dose 2x with prazipro, 8 days apart. That should also be safe as long as there is good aeration in the tank.
One thing that small fish have difficulty with is salinity rises - so make any upward adjustments very slowly.
Jay
Thank you for the advice, Jay.
I am using coppersafe from Fritz and using Hanna meter for measuring copper concentration, but you noted my concern better than I could express it.

I was worried the regular 2 - 2.5 ppm copper would be too high for these guys.

Thank you!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back