How many fish would you add at once?

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say adding multiple at a time helps with aggression. Some say just depends on your bioload. Most probably say take it slow. How many would you add at a time?

I'm currently planning to add 1 small one spot foxface, 1 small CBB, 1 carpenter's flasher wrasse and potentially 1 blue flasher wrasse, all pre-QT'd, all at once. QT'er doesn't feel an acclimation box will be necessary since all of my current fish are non-fairy/non-flasher wrasses (1 leopard, 1 yellow Halichoeres, 2 pinkies and 1 pencil wrasse). Also, this is an upgrade, so all of the current wrasses will be in a new tank with semi-familiar environment for less than a month. Bioload is not something I am worried about. I was just thinking, why not a few more wrasses so they're all thrown into the new tank at once to figure it all out? Maybe add a third flasher (angulatus) or start with my fairy list (rhomboid, lubbocki, exquisite).

Better small batches or better to throw them all in?

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've only given half of the equation here.
What's missing is the water volume of your display tank and the filtration running on it and how long has it been running.

In light of the missing info let's use worst case scenario.
I would suggest that if you display tank is any bigger than 55 gallons or 200Ltr and has been running for more than 3 months that the list you have provided can all be added at once with no significant effects on the system.

Yeah I agree with the person who said no acclimation box is required with this selection.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?

If you have a properly sized tank, it’s definitely better to introduce all the fish at once. This will help reduce aggression, though with these species, you’re very very unlikely to encounter aggression issues. on the slight chance you have aggression, it will likely be minimal and should resolve quickly.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping people would throw out their scenarios, e.g., "in my 120 I add 2 tangs at a time".

In my case, I'm moving up from an IM 40L AIO (36"x15"x13" display + AIO section) to an 83gal 48"x20"x20" w/ 26gal sump. Rocks unclude TBS premium (will be 3 yr old in Jan) + Marshall Island and Fiji old school rocks (long dried out and then reseeded with my TBS rocks, 2.5yr running). I run no filtration except bags of carbon. Macroalgae + cryptic zone sponges/filter feeders + fast coral growth seem to keep everything in check. Water change every few months. Occasionally dose Fiji Mud.

So I'm getting at least the FF, CBB and one flasher in late Nov/early Dec. Maybe just go for a few more from my list (which is almost all wrasses + mandarin(s))!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back