Hawaii Fish Ban Update

CheshireReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority here, but I hope the ban stays in place, unless it truly is sustainable for the fish populations. Maybe another decade of the ban would be best. I personally don't care if certain fish aren't available for my aquarium or if captive breds aren't as nice. I own 3 Biota YTs and they look just fine to me..if that means not plucking them from the ocean, I'm not selfish enough to demand a bright yellow to stare at for my own personal enjoyment at the expense of the YT wild populations.
With sustained higher prices more investment will feed in to the aquarium bred method with more sucsess. Better practices should lead to better speci.ins and eventually fairer pricing

CheshireReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll be the same price as before the ban
Unfortunately this isn't how the economy works. If suppliers can get higher prices for their fish they most certey will.... untill the market gets over saturated and competition drives prices down.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Hawaii hobbyist, forgive my ignorance here, but are local diving fishermen venturing down to Xmas islands and taking your skills there? I’m assuming the Hawaii ban doesn’t affect islands that are close by? Most species in Hawaii are also found on Xmas islands right?

Wondering what the closest island to Hawaii is that is not covered under the ban? Assume the problem then is exportation?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
@Hawaii hobbyist, forgive my ignorance here, but are local diving fishermen venturing down to Xmas islands and taking your skills there? I’m assuming the Hawaii ban doesn’t affect islands that are close by? Most species in Hawaii are also found on Xmas islands right?

Wondering what the closest island to Hawaii is that is not covered under the ban? Assume the problem then is exportation?
O'ahu and western shores

Zekkal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I've read exportation is the main issue with getting yellows from the Japan island Ogasawara. Which leads to their lower numbers and adds to their increased price.
So I could see that being a similar issue

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So you’re saying my $200 yellow tang is gonna cost $75 in a year? Oh well!
No one said that and we have to be patient and see how things pan out

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplier on another site said not to expect any new exports until late 2025/early 2026 if ever. Is this due to some new entanglement or was this always the expectation? They also didn't think we would see sub $200 YTs anytime soon, but depends on if the reef market really is crashing or if this is just a lull industry wide.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Supplier on another site said not to expect any new exports until late 2025/early 2026 if ever. Is this due to some new entanglement or was this always the expectation? They also didn't think we would see sub $200 YTs anytime soon, but depends on if the reef market really is crashing or if this is just a lull industry wide.
Collectors will be a few months yet. Suppliers may be an over estimate but as I said, will take some time.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
will golden dwarf morays be collected or not?
You can imagine there is no definitive answer to this as the island is still comprising a list of allowable species and quotas

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii being closed is resulting in advances in captive breeding which is good the hobby. As competition amongst aquaculture captive breeders grows, pricing will also come down. This is the long term sustainable model for the future.

Last edited:

Should I

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why we keep fretting about this. Hawaii being closed is resulting in advances in captive breeding which is good the hobby. As competition amongst aquaculture captive breeders grows, pricing will also come down. This is the long term sustainable model for the future.
cause its not just yellow tangs that come from hawaii . . .

Jasonak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By supporting captive breeding, more Hawaiian and other species will become available. Already many more than yellow tangs are available that are traditionally from hawaii and surrounding.
Ive never met a single person in the reefing/saltwater community that does not support captive breeding.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay PETA.. it’s a nice idea, and I support captive breeding as much as anyone, but some species are so niche, that companies will not invest the money and resources into captive breeding them.

Sustainably caught fish is not really a large problem, there’s way more damage being done to the reefs by tourism. Maybe we should ban people from snorkeling on the reefs.. we should also ban sunscreen on the beaches too..

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay PETA.. it’s a nice idea, and I support captive breeding as much as anyone, but some species are so niche, that companies will not invest the money and resources into captive breeding them.

Sustainably caught fish is not really a large problem, there’s way more damage being done to the reefs by tourism. Maybe we should ban people from snorkeling on the reefs.. we should also ban sunscreen on the beaches too..
There is no reason for the derogatory tone. All i was saying is that the pause in hawaii has put more emphasis on captive breeding and thus accelerated progress is being made. I too miss fish like crosshatch triggers and look forward to them being captive bred since they already have spawned in captivity….only a matter of time…..

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back