easier way to do water changes

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a siphon built for the tank it was used on, 15 gallons removed.
It stops when the desired amount of water has drained.
The hose can be run to a sink or toilet.
Refills were done from a container of mixed water.
Now I do 5 gallons a week from the sump & a 5 gallon mix in a bucket with an old Rio pump.

Attachments

• P1110101.JPG
    P1110101.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 10

DoodleFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap $10 pump and 1/4" hose I found on Amazon - it lifts 6 feet, but I put the bucket of mixed water on a step stool (maybe 2' high) next to the tank to give it a little easier time.

I just drain out of the tank with a 1/2" clear PVC hose into a 5 gallon bucket that I use for waste water or rinsing off stuff like ChemiPure or Purigen while down in the basement. Total time from start to finish water changes is about 10 minutes - maybe 15 if I change out the Purigen or ChemiPure.

My current setup is a 32G BioCube. When I had a much bigger tank - and was doing 50 gallon water changes - I had Rubbermaid garbage cans in the basement one for mixing, the other for draining waste water. I had hard PVC pipe that would break the siphon when it got to 50 gallons drained so I wouldn't have to sit there and watch it, I could stay in the basement and make sure the hose was in the can and not spraying water all of the basement. I'd then wheel that garbage can over to the sump pump in the basement, and dump the waste water in there. Then had a very expensive pump that would pump the mixed water out of the basement up to the tank. There are times I miss that tank - then I see how much easier taking care of a small tank is!

Last edited:

ygbsmww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Python to empty the water down my kitchen sink. Then run the Python to my 20 gallon brute and use a 1/3 HP 2450GPH submersible water pump I got on Amazon for $60. I have the pump connected to a WIFI outlet that i can turn on and off from my phone. The Brute is 50+ feet on the other side of the house and on level down. So the pump is pumping up a 14ft head height. Works like a champ.
What brand and model?
Did you have to get any connection hardware?

hsp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Wondering if anyone knows of an easier way to do water changes other than dumping 5 gallon jugs into the tank. My tank is only 29 gallons so I change out 5 gallons once a month. I've heard of automatic water changes but that doesn't seem realistic for a tank my size. I also read about a python syphon but that's not helpful either i think that's only for Fresh water tanks because it talks about putting water back in from the tap. any ideas?

My WC equipment:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back