Water Changes

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also

I don’t take my LFS word as gospel

Plenty of people run high nitrates

This should not discourage you from adding corals

@fishguy242 will back me on the high nitrates thing!! lol

The key to a happy reef is consistency
answered in detail in other thread... ;) :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all, my tank specifications are below:

Total System Water Volume: 164 Gallons
Display Tank Water Volume: 132 Gallons
Dimensions: 59.1“L x 25.6“W x 23.6“H

I have about 25 Fish. A few tangs and angel
Fish. My nitrates are at about 50, due to the bioload/feeding. I’m currently dosing Red Sea’s nitrate removal and I have some chemi pure elite in the sump. What would you suggest I do to remove nitrates/phosphates consistently, to get them down to 10? I’m currently doing a 10 gallon water change every other day. The majority of my corals are LPS, they seem to be doing well and the fish seem extremely happy. My wife and I feed lots of nori and only frozen food.

Thank you in advance for your help, guidance and consideration..

If you are happy with the way the tank looks, and, if the fish and corals within are thriving, why play with anything? As I like to say; don't fix what isn't broken.

I once purchased an Anemone that was the size of a dinner plate from the LFS. I tested the bag and the Nitrates were 180! So in your case, a simple refugium will probably do the trick.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you so concerned with reducing if the tank is happy??

What type of food are you feeding

This is the root cause of your nitrates and phosphates

If you keep doing the same thing - feeding heavy - you will never reduce the nitrates and phosphates unless something can use them - I.e. start a refugium with macro algae

If you don’t have a nuisance algae problem and corals are happy I’d seriously stop stressing over water changes

Again can you tell me what you’re feeding the tank?
And is it possible to start a refugium up on your sump? Macro algae with use up the excess nutrients - mine does this to w
Also

I don’t take my LFS word as gospel

Plenty of people run high nitrates

This should not discourage you from adding corals

@fishguy242 will back me on the high nitrates thing!! lol

The key to a happy reef is consistency
I feed only frozen, I try to rinse it as much as possible… I do feed six to eight squares a day and a few nori sheets for the tangs. I’ve been cutting down on the portions to four squares and a couple of sheets of nori through-out the day..

Reef Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AlanS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all, my tank specifications are below:

Total System Water Volume: 164 Gallons
Display Tank Water Volume: 132 Gallons
Dimensions: 59.1“L x 25.6“W x 23.6“H

I have about 25 Fish. A few tangs and angel
Fish. My nitrates are at about 50, due to the bioload/feeding. I’m currently dosing Red Sea’s nitrate removal and I have some chemi pure elite in the sump. What would you suggest I do to remove nitrates/phosphates consistently, to get them down to 10? I’m currently doing a 10 gallon water change every other day. The majority of my corals are LPS, they seem to be doing well and the fish seem extremely happy. My wife and I feed lots of nori and only frozen food.

Thank you in advance for your help, guidance and consideration..
A large refugium with caeto works well. I have 200 gallon total water volume and my fuge is a second sump with about 30 gallons. Small refugiums with big tanks don't make much difference in my experience.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back