• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Cherry's Acan Grow Out - subdivide part 2

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's everything lookin?

Everything is looking great! I am currently on vacation in Cali, but I have a very trusted reefing friend that is dosing and feeding the tank until I get back Tuesday.

I'll post some new pics as soon as I get back to Boise.

Robert

OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

After a very long period of consideration I have decided to take my tank in a new direction. I was never fond of the stand, how the sump was built, or the rocks / aquascape.

Do not be alarmed though! The acans are doing perfectly well, they eat voraciously and are growing quite well. One of the mini colonies tipped over in the flow for a bit and may lose a polyp, but it is still eating and showing amazing polyp extension everywhere else. I WANT to ship these out to someone that is willing to rehome them until fragging since I am going to be tearing my tank down for the overhaul / restart of it.

Who in the grow out is able to take these little gems and finish the grow out? I can help chip in on shipping costs too, I feel very sorry for not being able to finish the grow out, but my level of frustration with this set up has finally eaten away at me too much.

I will be posting photos tomorrow am at 830 mst for everyone to see the excellent growth and colors. Once again, I'm extremely sorry I couldn't finish the grow out.

Robert

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised. And let me know who is willing to take these little gems. I would like to have my tank completely torn down by this Sunday so I can begin the arduous task of rebuilding.

As you can tell on the last pic, that acan frag tipped into the sand and lost some of the polyp. But everything else is inflated with feeders out. Just fed Fauna Marin LPS to them last night and they devoured it all. :D

Attachments

• hall5.jpg
    hall5.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 223
  • group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 224
  • hall1.jpg
    hall1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 220
  • hall3.jpg
    hall3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 229
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are absolutely taking the tank down and nobody else will take them then I will. I'm in the other Cherry Acan growout and got those and they look great. I've been reefing for 30+ years so the experience is there and my tank is doing well. I just prefer to not have the added stress of growing for others that's all. At this point if something goes wrong with my tank it's my own stuff so I don't feel too bad but....like I said...if there are no other alternatives. Also I've never fragged Acans before.

Is it possible to frag out what we have?

OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal opinion it still too early to frag for everyone. And as far as the tank coming down that is a guarantee. I would like to have these out of my tank by Sunday at the absolute latest.

If you have that many years of reef keeping experience I would feel comfortable with you finalizing the grow out. How does everyone else feel about this?

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure everyone has considered it but having a saw available will be a must-Whoever ends up with them is secondary IMO, the first thing to think about is the ability of getting a saw so the new grower can frag them and return them into the water they came from.

You all have come a long way to jump into something you may wish you had taken a little time in deciding-

I'm just arm chair quarter-backing but hindsight sucks

sportzfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am OK with whatever we do. In a pinch I could take them but I do not have a saw and would be nervous taking over the growout. Would it be a good idea to split up what we have to spead the risk over more growers?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be down with reefnjunkie if he would be willing. I feel really bad about not being able to see the grow out to a close, but my tank needs a massive overhaul. From the plumbing and sump all the way to new lights.

I feel like I can't apologize enough to everyone.

OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you all get in a bind and need a hand I'm willing to help, maybe if possible thow a frag or two my way-View attachment 40361

Its all good with me, you all decide

I am fine with this route. Let's get a general consensus before we make any concrete plans. I would like to get them out of the tank before Sunday so I can start to acid wash my system.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back